Sockeye in port alberni

sockeye

fished this a.m 5-930 tried all depths used small pink hoochy 1 hit and thats all fished around china creek and also tried namint o fish observed very few being landed quite bumpy with white caps

Coming to Sproat Lake for a family trip for a week, and bringing my boat. Last year, didn't bring salmon gear, as I thought sox were done by mid July. But sounds like they might still be around....worth a shot?

Got any tips for Port Alberni fishing newb? How far a run to the fish usually? Lots of salmon experience in Sooke/Port Renfrew, but not up there. I'd probably aim for early morning, sneak a few hours in, home before the family wakes up. ;-) And before it gets windy.

Or let me know if anyone is going out in the mornings over next week and has a spot to fill ... could trade you for wakeboarding on Sproat in the afternoon.

JDF, you will be living the dream - fishing in the am, skiing in the pm!
It is worthwhile if you are already there, launch at Clutesi, troll between Coulson's mill (before Lone Tree Point) to China Creek (Dunsmuir Point), go slow, use plain black hooks tied tandem on leaders around 20". Depths are 30-70'. Long straight tacks with the wind make it easy. You are almost sure to have fresh sox for the bbq, but probably not enough to freeze.
We are off to the sound today, and won't even try for sox on the way out, but as I said, you are already there so wth?

JDF, you will be living the dream - fishing in the am, skiing in the pm!
It is worthwhile if you are already there, launch at Clutesi, troll between Coulson's mill (before Lone Tree Point) to China Creek (Dunsmuir Point), go slow, use plain black hooks tied tandem on leaders around 20". Depths are 30-70'. Long straight tacks with the wind make it easy. You are almost sure to have fresh sox for the bbq, but probably not enough to freeze.
We are off to the sound today, and won't even try for sox on the way out, but as I said, you are already there so wth?

That's super...thanks a lot Smiley

Looks like things will be slowing down for us sporties again....

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada Subject: FN0597-RECREATIONAL- Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - portion of Subarea 23-1 - Fin Fish Closure Effective immediately until September 30, 2013 the following area will be closed to fishing for all finfish as follows: -That portion of Subarea 23-1 from the tidal boundary signs at Paper Mill Dam in the Somass River downstream and including part of Alberni Inlet to a line beginning at the red flashing light at Lone Tree Point then due west to a point located at 49 degrees 11.033 north, 124 degrees 49.560 west on the opposite shore on Vancouver Island. On July 11, 2013 departmental staff held a meeting of the Area 23 harvest roundtable to discuss fishery planning for Somass sockeye fisheries. The harvest roundtable includes representatives from the commercial gillnet and seine fleets, the local sport fish advisory committee and First Nations from Tseshaht, Hupacasath and the five Nations under the new Maa-nulth treaty. Stock Assessment staff provided an in-season update on July 11, 2013 and the runsize was downgraded to 300 K. The recreational catch target for sockeye was reduced to 15,000 pcs. Their current catch is at approximately 9,000 pcs. It was agreed to take measures to slow the recreational catch rate for sockeye. The goal was to maintain a recreational sockeye fishery for as long as possible while remaining under the expected catch. The management action that will be implemented was agreed to by the harvest roundtable members. Variation Order: 2013-331 FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca. Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0597Sent July 12, 2013 at 14:17Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Talked to my buddy who just got home from Alberni. The sockeye were the smallest that he's seen since we started fishing for them back in the 90's. His two biggest fish were 2 1/2 # Jacks. We were both heading back up tomorrow but aren't going to waste time and money on those little guys. Probably head out to Barkley Sound to fish for Coho or something.
Dave

Quick question for those who have been out the past few days. Is it worth a trip this coming weekend to fish sat/sun?

Was over there a couple weekends ago and both sat and sunday we got 2 fish per person.. The old man wants to make another trip over next weekend but Im trying to convince him toward nootka or bamfield instead.

They're still out there but you have to work for them. I would say things have slightly improved from last weekend with less jacks. Fishing still fairly tough, i would put it this way, if you only caught a few fish on your last outing, your probably going to do the same....if you tend to limit out, you can expect the same.

Thanks for the report tubby, I was up there about a week ago from Duncan .Fished from sun up to about 9 am no fish and was a windy white caps . Iguess its not worth the trip again....

Sounds like you might have just got a bad weather day. Wind dosnt usually kick up until the afternoon there. For springs you have to be there early but for socks its not as crucial.

I am taking every trip report or lack of trip reports with a big grain of salt. There is always fishing being caught everywhere that are never reported. Tubby said if you usually limit out you will prob limit out which means there are fish there. That makes it sound good to me!

Im finding out its all about right place right time. Have to check the seiner openings but hopfully hit up PA early next week! I havent eaten sockeye in 2 yrs!

To help put thing in perspective, I've fished every quite abit over the last couple of weeks, 4 mornings and 3 evenings (all different days). The fishing tough relatively to some past years but it's expected given the run size is also down considerably. I've been doing pretty well but I heard from others on tougher days that some guys are not catching any or only a few. The fish are there, they're just not jumping in the boat, as Fog Ducker put it on another thread, if your 'dialed in' you're catching quite a few. In lower # years such as this, socks can be quite picky, I'm adjusting my technique every outing and still haven't quite figure them out for this year.
Here's a couple of tips:
-the biters are definitely deeper as the morning progresses
-glow green flashers seems better than most
-trolling slightly faster than other years (but not spring level), still less than 2
-black hooks are a steady producer, some of my 'past' favorite MB colors have not been consistent
-another trick that only mentioned once in while........wasn't quite sure I was even going to mention it......spoons

To help put thing in perspective, I've fished every quite abit over the last couple of weeks, 4 mornings and 3 evenings (all different days). The fishing tough relatively to some past years but it's expected given the run size is also down considerably. I've been doing pretty well but I heard from others on tougher days that some guys are not catching any or only a few. The fish are there, they're just not jumping in the boat, as Fog Ducker put it on another thread, if your 'dialed in' you're catching quite a few. In lower # years such as this, socks can be quite picky, I'm adjusting my technique every outing and still haven't quite figure them out for this year.
Here's a couple of tips:
-the biters are definitely deeper as the morning progresses
-glow green flashers seems better than most
-trolling slightly faster than other years (but not spring level), still less than 2
-black hooks are a steady producer, some of my 'past' favorite MB colors have not been consistent
-another trick that only mentioned once in while........wasn't quite sure I was even going to mention it......spoons

tubby you must either be camping there or live there and thats an advantage the one trip up there to me is either hit or miss Ive been going up there for socks every year since 1992.some years limited out 8 fish within an hour I guess thats what spoils me lol.thanx again for your input and tips C.A.

Area 23 is reverting back to 2 Sockeye a day come Monday the 22nd.
Dave

Effective 00:01 hours Monday July 22, 2013 until further notice the daily quota
for sockeye salmon will be as follows:

-Area 23, Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet, two (2) sockeye per day except for:

-That portion of Subarea 23-1 from a line commencing at the tidal water
boundary signs of the Somass River at Paper Mill Dam park downstream and
including part of Alberni Inlet to a line beginning at the red flashing light
at Lone Tree Point then due west to a point located at 49 degrees 11.033 north,
124 degrees 49.560 west on the opposite shore on Vancouver Island which remains
a finfish closure

While not spectacular, the canal and sockeye made the past weekend bearable.
Started out fishing deep in Cous Creek and eventually working up the booms towards Dunsmir. Nothing to show for it but one small shaker. Moved to the middle off Arden Creek and fished up the east side crossing to the west at the Narrows. Not even a bite so we called it a day. Had fished mostly black hooks at varied depths and speeds.
Saturday, we decided to stick close to camp and fished Hocking Point. Also went back to my starting setup with various bubble gum hootchies and a set of red hooks; my depth with one side at 55 the other at 67 and my speed just fast enough to rotate my flashers. Bingo. 7 fish by 8 and the elusive #8 just before 10. Never more than a mile from the point and all nice fish.

Sunday tried for a repeat performance. We did everything the same, but there didn't seem to be as many fish showing. We stuck it out till 10, but only managed 5 fish. All good fish, but not quite the quality of Saturday.
All in all a great weekend with great weather. Hopefully it will hold and we can manage a few next weekend. One thing for sure, it will be easier to limit out with the reduction in the limit to 2 fish. I think that is a good thing, try to get more of them up the river.
Cheers from the Crew of Stress Medicine

Back