How much Power needed for Radar

Gallivanter

Crew Member
Hey guys, I’ll be installing a Garmin radar, GMR Fantom 18” dome soon and I’m wondering if my dual battery setup will suffice or should I be considering adding a third? Right now everything works well with dual batteries, but don’t want to run into low juice when the wipers are going, diesel heater is on, Chartplotter, VHF radio, downriggers up and down etc. What are people’s experiences/thoughts on this?

Hey guys, I’ll be installing a Garmin radar, GMR Fantom 18” dome soon and I’m wondering if my dual battery setup will suffice or should I be considering adding a third? Right now everything works well with dual batteries, but don’t want to run into low juice when the wipers are going, diesel heater is on, Chartplotter, VHF radio, downriggers up and down etc. What are people’s experiences/thoughts on this?
If you have an engine on (trolling) that charges should be good, I've never had issues with my Lowrance 3g draining batteries in those condition, I have a 9hp Merc pro kicker.

Our Halo 20+ typically draws 20 watts with a 5 amp fuse. Your stereo likely has a similar draw. A 2 amp draw means a fully charged battery should be good for at least 24 hours, without extra help.

I got an older Honda kicker 6amp charging, and with the full works on radar included it does drain my house battery within 3 hrs with the radar on( only on when trolling when my wife is driving lol)) I usually only run the radar when travelling on step, or offshore in the shipping lane in peesoup conditions, older digital Raymarime radar4kw sucks a bit of juice but works awsome

Dual batteries are fine to run a radar on. You don't need to do anything. I run lots of things on my boat ,and never have an issue with overlay/radar going at same time.

Thanks for the feedback gents, should have it installed by mid March. Going to upgrade my transducer while I’m at it. That’ll give me lots of time to familiarize myself with the new electronics before I head over to Ukee in July.

Also good to consider the amp draw your riggers will use up. Especially so if fishing deep and lots of bites. I have 2 separate starters and 2 house batteries plus solar panel and battery mgmt/monitor system. But, running a lot of stuff (3 chart plotters, 2 radios, AP, riggers, stereo). Most kickers aren't going to pump in enough amps to make up for a big power draw.

Back