Searching for a Tuna crew

I give up. This was a bad idea.lets kill the thread

To sculpin and the rest of you bamfield locals, I look forward to finding you on the tuna grounds mid month, I'll go with dad on my boat. What channel do you guys stand by on?

Cheers, Quinn

Quinn, I do not post much, but I just wanted to say thanks forthe offer. Going out for tuna is one of my bucket list items. Right now the funds are not there but they will be in the future. Do not let the nay sayers discourage you. There are many of us that do understand and if you never offer this kind of trip again then the rest of us will be poorer for not being able to experience tuna fishing. Once again thanks for offer.
Ross

I've been off the Forum for awhile now, and this thread is a good example of why. I suspect others probably feel the same way.
IMHO there was only one way to respond to Quinn's offer. Send him a PM to tell him you're in or STFU. Same thing happens on the Buy/Sell forum. Guy puts his down riggers up at a price that may or may not be competitive. Several "peanut gallery" price criticisms pages later, someone PM's the guy with an offer and the riggers are sold. I don't get it. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy - if you don't like the price walk away. Go out and find your own Tuna, or down riggers or whatever.

Popcorn tastes good... Have to ask though, if it's not a money maker or cost an issue, why don't you and your pal take one boat and ask two guys to join... Why take 2 vessels?

I've been off the Forum for awhile now, and this thread is a good example of why. I suspect others probably feel the same way.
IMHO there was only one way to respond to Quinn's offer. Send him a PM to tell him you're in or STFU. Same thing happens on the Buy/Sell forum. Guy puts his down riggers up at a price that may or may not be competitive. Several "peanut gallery" price criticisms pages later, someone PM's the guy with an offer and the riggers are sold. I don't get it. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy - if you don't like the price walk away. Go out and find your own Tuna, or down riggers or whatever.
X 100. This is why I never post anything on the buy/sell/trade Thread. I would love to take Quinn up on his offer but can not do so at this time. I don't know if Quinn offer is fair or not but it is what it is. From what others that have done this trip, they all seem to think it is a fair offer and I will take there word on it. If you don't think it is, Keep Your Pie Hole shut. I wish you good luck Quinn on your up coming Tuna trip with your dad and wait for your report. That is if you ever post again( hope you do, but understand if you don't)

Popcorn tastes good... Have to ask though, if it's not a money maker or cost an issue, why don't you and your pal take one boat and ask two guys to join... Why take 2 vessels?

First off it's not his pal he is going out with it's his father. Second,, safety in numbers. I wouldn't be to interested in venturing 50 - 80 miles offshore with just one boat..

Hope this trip goes through and we get to see some of the pics from it.

Yet another "yip" from the peanut (popcorn) gallery.

As sculpin state
It's hard finding crew members that are committed, seaworthy, understand the costs associated with the fishery, and are willing to fork out their fair share of those costs. I am fortunate to have a handful of those crew members that like to come out with me and I enjoy their company. Good luck to the OP. It sounds like a very cool trip :cool:.

Even I have a hard time getting buddy's to go fishing. Those who can drop work randomly, hold their guts, understand expenses, can actually fish, Will take it for the team if they get sick, do their share of work, cut fish, work hard, have some boat knowledge, and a whack of other items I may have missed, are VERY hard to find. And I'm running one the the most cost efficient boats on the coast for this. I pay a share of my fuel and its still hard to get people some times.

I think you came to the right place to find the right people. Don't give up just yet.

What channel are the ukee and baffled tuna junkies using?

Why take two vessels? I will usually give my left nut to have at least one other boat out there with me. First ya have to find the fish. And many other reasons including an element of safety. These guys know this!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another "yip" from the peanut (popcorn) gallery.

Thanks Bruce - it was actually an honest question which i bet others had in mind... 2 boats and all the gear and fuel yet the 2 new guys on the boats pay $1500/day = $3000/day?

I own a boat and know full well the costs associated - just wanted to ask a seemingly fair question as I actually respect the offer and what is on the table for boat owners and "guests" here.

Sorry, should have been $2250 per day as that's divided by 3? Wouldn't want to question anything nowadays i guess?

I thinks it is a pretty good price considering it includes food.
I have over 100k easily into my boat and to offer up that to strangers is pretty generous.
Not unreasonable to have the crew pay for the fuel.
We trailer to Westport and rent a condo on the beach (1/4 the price of the same in Tofino).
30 miles to the spot, lots of boats for help, immediate coastguard response, plus you get to use life bait (anchovies).
Rarely put a troll rod out.

Thanks Bruce - it was actually an honest question which i bet others had in mind... 2 boats and all the gear and fuel yet the 2 new guys on the boats pay $1500/day = $3000/day?

I own a boat and know full well the costs associated - just wanted to ask a seemingly fair question as I actually respect the offer and what is on the table for boat owners and "guests" here.

Maybe I shouldn't comment....but I will. I think it clearly says in the original post that he's looking for two guys (per boat) to join their trip and pay a grand total of $1500 dollar per day (per boat), or $750 dollars for each guy per day (not including himself or his dad). Costs include "fuel, moorage, tackle, chum, food and wear and tear on the boats".....so he's providing the boat, the bait & tackle, rods & reels, the safety gear, the fuel and the food is the way I read it. You just bring your clothes and your passion and desire to fish, plus you get 1/3 of the catch. As a boat owner I think it's a great deal as this is not a trip around the corner from Sooke harbor trolling the shoreline with a 9 HP kicker!!

I actually just came across a somewhat similar situation last weekend. A friend of mine asked if I'd take him and his brother in-law (who I don't know) and his son (who's a grown man & I also don't know), out for a day of fishing because they don't have a boat. I said sure, no problem. But, if you wanna fish with me you've gotta understand A) I'm not a charter operator, you come on my boat at your own risk, although my boat is fully insured including 3rd party liability B) I'll provide you an opportunity to fish with my 60+ thousand dollar boat and all my equipment so I think it's fair if you all throw a $100 bucks fuel in the boat and give me $30 bucks for anchovies and help with the clean-up after words, because it takes an hour to clean everything and break-down the equipment. He said sure no problems at all.

In other words, I didn't pay for any of the fuel or bait, they did....I paid for the boat and everything that goes with it.

When I go fish for Steelhead on the Cowy with my buddy who has a drift raft, and another friend, we don't expect him to pay for anything in terms of fuel for his truck on the way up there and back from Victoria. My buddy and I pay for all his truck fuel as he provides the boat. Same principal, but lower dollar figure....isn't it?

Okay , nobody said i would'nt be a trip of a lifetime because it would be , two guys per boat 750 x 2 =1500.00 x a possible 4 days = 6000.00 x 2 boats = $12000.00 .. . All i stated was that it was very close to guide prices at 3k a person for a possible 4 days .. Obviously he and his father are well equipt and knowledgable fishermen but honestly .. Who can afford 3 K a piece for a weekend fishing trip.... Thats all i was saying.. Had it been a one day trip the prices are reasonable and match that of the local guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to say thank you to all the guys with boats (or not) who are supporting Quinn and his offer. It still amazes me when I take buddies fishing and they balk at the idea that they may have to cough up a C note for fuel. Not in the same ballpark of investment as some of the guys on this forum, but I have well over 60K into my boat and trailer over the years and that does not include tackle, rods or operating costs (insurance etc.).

If you want a lifetime experience, jump at the chance with Quinn. I can assure you his offer is fair and reasonable.

Some people are just cheap. They don't understand what it cost to operate a boat, and, just as important, the prep time to get ready for a trip like this. It's a lot of work. Everyone wants to jump in and grab a screaming reel. Very few people want to pull out their wallets or scrub down the boat. Why bother.

Some people are just cheap. They don't understand what it cost to operate a boat, and, just as important, the prep time to get ready for a trip like this. It's a lot of work. Everyone wants to jump in a grab a screaming reel. Very few people want to pull out their wallets or scrub down the boat. Why bother.

Amen-lots of guys want to crew on a successful boat but the crew has to be chosen wisely or you're stuck on board for 3 days with a bunch of freeloaders and a day of cleanup and no helpers after! That's why guys are so careful before they invite new folks on for trips !

My best fishing partners are a couple buddies from Alberta, that come once or twice a year. These 2 guy are not super rich guys just hard working guys like the rest of us. They pay for all the fuel truck/boat, all the food, and always buy tackle regardless if I need it or not, plus they always leave it when they leave. They help with all the clean up boat and fish. Basically all I do is drive the truck and boat. They do all this and don't ***** and think they are getting the greatest deal on earth. Any time I even try to pay for anything it a big fight. The only bad thing about it is I only get to fish with them 1 or 2 times a year. Wish I could say the same about some other people I have taken out.

My best fishing partners are a couple buddies from Alberta, that come once or twice a year. These 2 guy are not super rich guys just hard working guys like the rest of us. They pay for all the fuel truck/boat, all the food, and always buy tackle regardless if I need it or not, plus they always leave it when they leave. They help with all the clean up boat and fish. Basically all I do is drive the truck and boat. They do all this and don't ***** and think they are getting the greatest deal on earth. Any time I even try to pay for anything it a big fight. The only bad thing about it is I only get to fish with them 1 or 2 times a year. Wish I could say the same about some other people I have taken out.

Send those guys my way-I could use 1 or 2 more-some of my guys wives will be saying-we have enough fish-I want to go to Vancouver ---or whatever!! They sound like a good bunch.

Here is a great thread I found about how to never get invited again.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1049866

I think quite a few folks should read it and learn if they want to try tuna fishing (or any fishing) on someone else's boat:).

If that isn't your cup of tea then buy your own boat, tackle, and fuel and go for it!!!

Bitching on an internet fishing forum isn't going to get you out there anytime soon ;).

Been back on the crane for two months, just a blue collar worker , my wage will not allow for much in the way of Tuna fishing this year.. Goodluck to anyone venturing offshore for the albacore..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back