Searching for a Tuna crew

Its a very costly fishery , anyone who has done it can agree. Some very knowledgable fishermen with first rate boats , just wondering what is keeping you from being a charter ? Cause as stated above you are not far off charter rates. ( no offence , just saying)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually i charge $1500 for a tuna day charter for 3 guys which is way more than these generous gentle men are offering

Actually i charge $1500 for a tuna day charter for 3 guys which is way more than these generous gentle men are offering

Ummm??? Am i missing something because thats actually less per person.

Don't kid yourself this thread is just getting started. lol

Ummm??? Am i missing something because thats actually less per person.

Don't kid yourself this thread is just getting started. lol

But the OP was talking about doing a multi day/overnight trip which eliminates all the extra running where the majority of the fuel is burned.

Maybe I'm misreading the original post but I read it as $750/day/crew member despite them possibly staying out. FishTofino's rates would be $500/day running back and forth, so a pretty significant 33% saving. A quick internet search shows overnight trips out of Westport avg about $600 US, including tax, bait and gear, for a two-day overnight trip or $400 for a day trip.

Ukee

Not saying it's expensive or not it sounds fair to me but one thing does puzzle me. Where is all this fuel coming from. At $1000.00/day (some are saying a boat will burn that much easily on a trip like this) that's roughly 850L/day times 3 days is 2500L of fuel. My question is how do you carry that much fuel on a boat the size of these. According to their specs they hold roughy 800 - 1000 litres.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every thread ends up in a big argument. No wonder lots of guys don't post anymore.

Thanks to the OP for his offer, if i lived in that area i would be all over it. I hope you find a great crew and slay the heck out of them!

Yeah, and I'm putting up a hotel room...... The boat. You aren't paying for expensive bed and breakfasts.

Not saying it's expensive or not it sounds fair to me but one thing does puzzle me. Where is all this fuel coming from. At $1000.00/day (some are saying a boat will burn that much easily on a trip like this) that's roughly 850L/day times 3 days is 2500L of fuel. My question is how do you carry that much fuel on a boat the size of these. According to their specs they hold roughy 800 - 1000 litres.

Each boat holds 1000 litres. We WILL have to go in for fuel at some point. We can run the first day, fish that afternoon till dark, possibly drift at sea overnight if weather permits, then fish the next day and run in for fuel. This is all subject to change. Mother Nature will decide.

This thread is a perfect example of how expensive this fishery is. Most people don't have a clue until they do a run. Those boats posted WILL burn a 1000 per day in fuel fishing for long fins. It's not just in and out 60 miles its trolling around at 6.5-8 mph. This isn't just trolling around the sound with your old 9.9 lol. My boat is one of the smallest in the fleet and I was running 500 dollar days in fuel and oil during the shootout. The runs where very far however. The other thing mentioned is tackle for this fishery. This isn't 30lb mono a bunch of bargain bin hootchies lol. As the OP stated a very small box out the door is expensive. I just did the same thing at PNT a month ago. I don't even want to know how much money I have invested in rods, reels and tackle. Probably to the tune of 5 grand. Then you get into all the extra safety equipment etc. required for this fishery. So again, the guy's putting in the effort and money to get into this fishery are not asking a lot at 750 per crew person for the size of boats posted IMO.

It's hard finding crew members that are committed, seaworthy, understand the costs associated with the fishery, and are willing to fork out their fair share of those costs. I am fortunate to have a handful of those crew members that like to come out with me and I enjoy their company. Good luck to the OP. It sounds like a very cool trip :cool:.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Thanks sculpin for understanding.....you've been there, you know. Sounds like most of the posters here think I'm trying to make money.....I'm not. I just can't afford these trips on my own dime and my usual fishing buddies can't either. Also, to clear things up for some of the posters, I am not paying for fuel, so the fuel cost is not three ways, my share is putting up the 60,000 dollar boat and the five grand in rods, reels and tackle. I think that's only fair considering everyone gets to step away from the boat and go home with their fish, as all boat owners who maintain their boats know, the trip doesn't end when the boat is simply tied up back at the dock.
Thanks to all you die hard captains who understand the message I'm trying to get across.

Yah figured something like that. I thought maybe you guys were using the collapsible fuel bladders. I am sure you have seen them they look pretty handy for situations like that. Would be nice to have even a 500L bag for back up on board.

Unreal. This poster is offering a trip of a lifetime and some of you are arguing over fuel costs?? And a few hundred bucks??

Sorry to hijack this thread but what size outrigger poles are you using? Picked up a set this weekend as part of a deal and know little about them.

You know, I've never measured the length of the outriggers on my boat. I would say they are about twenty feet. They are aluminum made by lees Miami which is one of the more popular outrigger brands.
I work with my dad buying and selling fishing machines, many of which come with outriggers which get removed because many of our customers don't fish tuna.
Dad has probably five sets of outriggers that he would be willing to sell to anyone interested in getting into the sport. Some are fixed poles like mine that swing outboard from rooftops, some are traditional ones with guy wires that pivot outboard from the side of your cabin, some are telescoping so you can retract them for trailering. But his best set are carbon fibre from Australia and unfortunately he is hoarding those.

Yah figured something like that. I thought maybe you guys were using the collapsible fuel bladders. I am sure you have seen them they look pretty handy for situations like that. Would be nice to have even a 500L bag for back up on board.

When we fished in the South Pacific we would be two weeks from land, the hold would be filled with barrels of fuel for the trip down but once there you needed fuel and there was a mothership that would take our tuna at sea (two weeks from land) and for every ton of tuna you delivered, you were entitled to so many gallons of diesel. They would pass a fuel hose from a two hundred foot boat to our boat, bow to bow in big seas and we would pump our own fuel. It was very dicey and needless to say, there was more than one fuel hose that would tear off now and then

Quinn - I would gladly pay you the money for a trip like this! A dream trip for me. Unfortunately a buddy and I are taking my boat up to Port Renfrew the first week of August. But I'll be watching if you put it out there again.

By the way, my boat's tank is 300 litres, so I get the cost of fuel!!

Good luck!!

When we fished in the South Pacific we would be two weeks from land, the hold would be filled with barrels of fuel for the trip down but once there you needed fuel and there was a mothership that would take our tuna at sea (two weeks from land) and for every ton of tuna you delivered, you were entitled to so many gallons of diesel. They would pass a fuel hose from a two hundred foot boat to our boat, bow to bow in big seas and we would pump our own fuel. It was very dicey and needless to say, there was more than one fuel hose that would tear off now and then

Interesting stuff,, love it. It would be worth the price of admission just listening to the stories.. One would learn so much on a trip like this,, you couldn't really put a price on it. never mind what you would learn about the fishing but about seamanship.. Priceless as they say.

Maybe one year I will jump on this,, it's something you should post up a couple months ahead of time I would serously consider it. Small price to pay indeed..

Not exactly the same as the tuna trip offered here but the 3 and 4 day trips up to the Charlottes (Haida Gwaii) run the guests close to a thousand a bucks a day per guy. So it probably isn't that unreasonable to charge what he is charging. Just saying fishin aint cheap and owning a boat aint for the faint of heart. If you wanna play your gonna pay!

You know, I've never measured the length of the outriggers on my boat. I would say they are about twenty feet. They are aluminum made by lees Miami which is one of the more popular outrigger brands.
I work with my dad buying and selling fishing machines, many of which come with outriggers which get removed because many of our customers don't fish tuna.
Dad has probably five sets of outriggers that he would be willing to sell to anyone interested in getting into the sport. Some are fixed poles like mine that swing outboard from rooftops, some are traditional ones with guy wires that pivot outboard from the side of your cabin, some are telescoping so you can retract them for trailering. But his best set are carbon fibre from Australia and unfortunately he is hoarding those.

Send me a PM with what he has and what he wants for them. I've been thinking about putting outriggers on my boat. I've been fishing tuna for 3-4 years without them.

Send me a PM with what he has and what he wants for them. I've been thinking about putting outriggers on my boat. I've been fishing tuna for 3-4 years without them.

I dream about doing something like this but sadly it's out of my price range this year.

I don't doubt at all that the trip and running those boats is really expensive, and may well cost $1500/day for fuel and extras. I think there is a fine line here between offering a charter and offering someone a spot as crew. Charters charge flat rates regardless of the costs for that day. That's essentially what you're offering. I think that's what people on here are questioning. If I were on your boat as crew I would have no problem paying half of all those costs you've mentioned because I own a boat and know what it costs just to run my little 19ft aluminum, you shouldn't have to pay for fuel. However, I would only be willing to pay half of all the actual costs, not what you estimate it might cost. If we stayed out over night and didn't burn as much fuel as you estimated, then the trip cost less, and my share should reflect that. The opposite could be true too, we could hit bad weather and burn more fuel, or the fish are really far out, and I would be happy to pay that too because that's what I signed up for.

Back