Searching for a Tuna crew

Quinn

Hey everyone, I'm in search of some crew for a three or four day tuna trip leaving Sooke and heading out to bamfield for some tuna action.
This is NOT a tuna "charter",we aren't looking to make money, just looking for serious anglers who can help cover the high expenses associated with tuna fishing.

My dad and I are both former commercial tuna fisherman and we want to take his 31 pursuit and my 290 shamrock to the tuna grounds. Both boats are fully equiped for offshore use and we are both comfortable with offshore trolling having fished the south and North Pacific for tuna.

We are looking for two people to accompany each boat, both boats are best suited to accommodate three guys for sleeping. Costs will include fuel, moorage, tackle, chum, food and wear and tear on the boats.
1500 per day per boat, or 750 per person. We split any and all tuna evenly.

The plan is to leave Sooke and steam straight to the tuna grounds, fish the rest of the day. Drift offshore overnight if weather permits or run in to bamfield. Fish all day the second day and fish part of the third day then run back to Sooke. A fourth day is possible if all parties agree and weather cooperates.

Weather is the deciding factor on departure dates so anyone interested needs to be flexible on leaving on a moments notice. The trip is planned for early to mid August.
Let's go have some fun!

I would be very interested, id bring my own food, rod, and tackle. Then just split gas/ice/bait and moorage evenly , that should put us in the 150-200 dollar a day range right?

So if all of the expense are being split 3 ways isn't it more like $500/day per person? Those are nice big boats to get the job done and I suspect that a one day trip would use around $800 in fuel alone.

Each boat will easily burn 1000 in gas per day. I just bought a teeny box of jigs and crimps from trotac Victoria for 850 bucks. A new pair of shimano tiagra reels only cost me 1300 last week to go with the other four okuma titans.
Each captain is providing a boat worth 60000 so sorry, 150-200 per person to go tuna fishing just isn't enough.

Captains are providing boats and tackle so we won't be covering fuel. Crew covers the fuel

Well if you want to split costs 3 ways, what ever they end up being then ok. but I fish my own gear, eat my own food and I highly doubt we will burn 1000 a day even if we do have to go 60 miles out and troll all day. Reports suggest we wouldn't be far out at all. what kinda power are you running? size fuel tanks?

Don't take my word for it, listen to birds nest and his reply. He's fishing there all the time and he knows that you can easily burn up 800 bucks a day. Just cause the fish are in close today, doesn't mean they will be when we go. When I used to chase tuna commercially, a full moon could mean the tuna travel 250 miles overnight ......yes 250 miles overnight!

We are providing the boats, the proper gear, outriggers to fish the gear with and offshore safety components like six man life rafts, Epirbs, Sirius satellite weather forecasting and vhfs with dsc that is actually registered to the boat and has gps coordinates. All this costs money, big money.

Sorry "fish on" I don't think this is the right boat trip for you, best of luck to you.

Still looking for crew

Don't take my word for it, listen to birds nest and his reply. He's fishing there all the time and he knows that you can easily burn up 800 bucks a day. Just cause the fish are in close today, doesn't mean they will be when we go. When I used to chase tuna commercially, a full moon could mean the tuna travel 250 miles overnight ......yes 250 miles overnight!

We are providing the boats, the proper gear, outriggers to fish the gear with and offshore safety components like six man life rafts, Epirbs, Sirius satellite weather forecasting and vhfs with dsc that is actually registered to the boat and has gps coordinates. All this costs money, big money.

Sorry "fish on" I don't think this is the right boat trip for you, best of luck to you.

Still looking for crew

Sounds like a great trip and you know what you are doing.
I totally agree with Birdsnest regarding expenses but still be a good opportunity to take advantage of your generous offer.

I will look forward to seeing your report

Sounds like a great trip and you know what you are doing.
I totally agree with Birdsnest regarding expenses but still be a good opportunity to take advantage of your generous offer.

I will look forward to seeing your report
Awesome offer Quinn, and this is exactly what I have been dreaming of doing. Leaving to and from Sooke too! Sadly other summer commitments this year (like my own wedding) will not allow, but any other year I'd be all over this. It remains on the bucket list. Good luck, and please do share a report!

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Congrats and Good luck with the wedding. I just got hitched three weeks ago as well. Left for Cabo the next morning.
You know you found a keeper when your new wife lets you go marlin fishing for a day on your honeymoon.

Its a very costly fishery , anyone who has done it can agree. Some very knowledgable fishermen with first rate boats , just wondering what is keeping you from being a charter ? Cause as stated above you are not far off charter rates. ( no offence , just saying)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is a perfect example of how expensive this fishery is. Most people don't have a clue until they do a run. Those boats posted WILL burn a 1000 per day in fuel fishing for long fins. It's not just in and out 60 miles its trolling around at 6.5-8 mph. This isn't just trolling around the sound with your old 9.9 lol. My boat is one of the smallest in the fleet and I was running 500 dollar days in fuel and oil during the shootout. The runs where very far however. The other thing mentioned is tackle for this fishery. This isn't 30lb mono a bunch of bargain bin hootchies lol. As the OP stated a very small box out the door is expensive. I just did the same thing at PNT a month ago. I don't even want to know how much money I have invested in rods, reels and tackle. Probably to the tune of 5 grand. Then you get into all the extra safety equipment etc. required for this fishery. So again, the guy's putting in the effort and money to get into this fishery are not asking a lot at 750 per crew person for the size of boats posted IMO.

It's hard finding crew members that are committed, seaworthy, understand the costs associated with the fishery, and are willing to fork out their fair share of those costs. I am fortunate to have a handful of those crew members that like to come out with me and I enjoy their company. Good luck to the OP. It sounds like a very cool trip :cool:.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Sorry to hijack this thread but what size outrigger poles are you using? Picked up a set this weekend as part of a deal and know little about them.

Still looking for crew

This thread is a perfect example of how expensive this fishery is. Most people don't have a clue until they do a run. Those boats posted WILL burn a 1000 per day in fuel fishing for long fins. It's not just in and out 60 miles its trolling around at 6.5-8 mph. This isn't just trolling around the sound with your old 9.9 lol. My boat is one of the smallest in the fleet and I was running 500 dollar days in fuel and oil during the shootout. The runs where very far however. The other thing mentioned is tackle for this fishery. This isn't 30lb mono a bunch of bargain bin hootchies lol. As the OP stated a very small box out the door is expensive. I just did the same thing at PNT a month ago. I don't even want to know how much money I have invested in rods, reels and tackle. Probably to the tune of 5 grand. Then you get into all the extra safety equipment etc. required for this fishery. So again, the guy's putting in the effort and money to get into this fishery are not asking a lot at 750 per crew person for the size of boats posted IMO.

It's hard finding crew members that are committed, seaworthy, understand the costs associated with the fishery, and are willing to fork out their fair share of those costs. I am fortunate to have a handful of those crew members that like to come out with me and I enjoy their company. Good luck to the OP. It sounds like a very cool trip :cool:.

Cheers,
Sculpin

You forgot the most expensive parts; the boat; motors, maintenance and insurance; these are the costs that everyone forgets about, it is great to go fishing with the guy that owns the boat; but remember; that boat costs him more money than you think; and you aren't paying for any of it when you kick in for fuel and take half the catch. I have a 30' Pursuit; and do this fishery; and it ain't cheap even if you bring all your own stuff; because someone else is still paying for you to be able to get there and back safe. If I didn't invest all that I have into this fishery; I wouldn't be able to comprehend the costs associated either; so when you guys think the OP is out to lunch on what it is going to cost you; break it down and think about it for a minute, in reality; it is cheap what he is charging ya!

Good luck in finding a good crew OP. I have a crew and sometimes they just don't get it either; until they get it re-explained to them and that they can stay on the dock next trip!

Sculpin and Quinn , my apologies if the boat really burns that much fuel, my bud has a similar 32 foot boat that won't burn 800 a day when fuel prices were higher than now. At 750 a day x 3 is 2250 a day,your still making money off ppl , so you have to choose if it's a fishing trip or guided trip. When I take people fishing I'm happy with gas money, I don't expect them to pay for my boat and tackle unless they lose something or drop a rod. Anyways just my 2 cents

I was over tired last night and using point form to much I guess. I probably should have kept my lips shut or softened it up and wrote that I have appropriate tuna gear and I have a strict diet I follow, I probably would have came off as less of a dick.lol again my apologies and I hope you guys fill the boat with tuna!

$1000 bux a day for tuna fuel is about right. In those boats 200L out 200L trolling for 10 hours and 200L back it. We run a 3370 pursuit with twin 250's and its always 500-600L for a trip offshore. If you want to go on a similar boat in westport you are looking at 500/person USD before you pay tip, fish cleaning, food, accomadations. 750/day seems like its in the right ball park especially if its pretty much all inclusive, I know the boat owner is usually on the losing end financially taking buddies out fishing........but can you really put a price on quality time with buds.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I wasn't working so much I'd jump on this it's a helluva opportunity not just to pull on some Albies but to fish with guys who have experience beyond most people's imagining-and the cost for the boats as described sound fair to me.

definitely a great opportunity for someone. hopefully they can take advantage of the opportunity. I also take my buddies out on a few trips a year and it adds up. Nice when everyone can pitch in a bit financially. it definitely adds up but as mentioned the memories and experiences are priceless.

Back