Tuna Fishing Fuel Consumption per day

Tips Up

I know there are a ton of variables but looking for some averages here. Different boats, motors, cruising speeds... Some guys run out early am while others leave in the dark and take their time...
What is your average fuel bill for a 1 day tuna trip out of Bamfield/ Ukee 50-60 miles out.

Thanks!

Based on the number of liters I used to burn on a typical trip (350 liters) it would be $700 plus. Cheaper to buy them now

Depends on how many you are catching in a day ;). Saw whole undressed tuna advertised at $7/lb off the boat in Steveston last week. At 15 lbs average per fish (what we averaged last year), that's about 7 fish to "break even". But we all know fuel isn't the only cost and it would always be cheaper to buy from the store, but that's now why we do it.

We ran 60 miles out from Barkley last week. Two hour run out and back at 30 mph burning 25 g/hr, plus trolling works out to around 400 litres.

Depends on how many you are catching in a day ;). Saw whole undressed tuna advertised at $7/lb off the boat in Steveston last week. At 15 lbs average per fish (what we averaged last year), that's about 7 fish to "break even". But we all know fuel isn't the only cost and it would always be cheaper to buy from the store, but that's now why we do it.

We ran 60 miles out from Barkley last week. Two hour run out and back at 30 mph burning 25 g/hr, plus trolling works out to around 400 litres.
I also factor in the maintenance costs on the hours the motors are running ( $45/hr) = another $450 in costs. I bought tuna for $4/lb off a boat in Port Alberni last year

Some years ago we were consistantly loading up at the Clayoquot canyon drop off @ 27 miles so the cost per tuna was really great

Never to do the math of pounds to dollars when talking fishing or hunting. That is not what it is all about. I paid good $ for 3 tuna on a trip this year and no regrets. I could buy some pretty nice steaks with my hunting budget but the days hiking, quading and getting out there is priceless. Planning now on how to feed this new addiction. So curious how much fuel costs vary from boat to boat and running out fast vs slow... Interesting so far.

Never to do the math of pounds to dollars when talking fishing or hunting. That is not what it is all about. I paid good $ for 3 tuna on a trip this year and no regrets. I could buy some pretty nice steaks with my hunting budget but the days hiking, quading and getting out there is priceless. Planning now on how to feed this new addiction. So curious how much fuel costs vary from boat to boat and running out fast vs slow... Interesting so far.
I used to think that but a few skunks changed my mind

Back