Tuna Fishing Fuel Consumption per day

We trailer a boat down to Westport every year for 8 years or so. Usually ran out less than 40 miles. American fuel prices helped. They stopped selling live bait to non guides a few years ago so we quit going. It was fun but kind of over it now. There was a boat in Winter Harbor last July selling 3 fish for $60. Not bad size.

Westport Seafoods still sells live bait to all, when it’s not in short supply. A few years ago, their net boat broke down. Can’t get bait without a boat. Then one year they couldn’t make bait or keep it alive to get it back to the marina worth a darn, so minimal bait available. Last summer, they ran very low towards the end of Sept. when bait is low. Priority goes to those making a living, charters and big commercials. Us little dayboat folks, including doing commercial trips, couldn’t get live bait.

There are plenty of albies to be killed with artificials. Fishing iron and swim baits takes more skill than just letting a live anchovie swim around, but it is productive up and down the west coast…

Read "438 days" by Johnathan Franklin
about Salvador Alvarenga before you dare venture out.🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206_073710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_073710_Chrome.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 12
Westport Seafoods still sells live bait to all, when it’s not in short supply. A few years ago, their net boat broke down. Can’t get bait without a boat. Then one year they couldn’t make bait or keep it alive to get it back to the marina worth a darn, so minimal bait available. Last summer, they ran very low towards the end of Sept. when bait is low. Priority goes to those making a living, charters and big commercials. Us little dayboat folks, including doing commercial trips, couldn’t get live bait.

There are plenty of albies to be killed with artificials. Fishing iron and swim baits takes more skill than just letting a live anchovie swim around, but it is productive up and down the west coast…
We used to go labour's day for 5 days. 3 years in a row no bait. Mark helped us a lot and we fished amongst his guys. Not much fun or productive without live bait.

First thing, just because I do it doesn't mean anyone else should. Your risk tolerance may vary.

100 miles referred to round trip distance, 40 miles off shore plus a bunch of trolling. Furthest out I've gone is 55 miles.

It's fine, further just takes longer, more fuel etc. There are interesting birds and some times unique whales to be seen. Saw a huge leatherback turtle off Brooks one trip. I'm very cautious about weather conditions. I only go on really nice days.

Safety gear: Dry suit worn the whole time (exposure/hypothermia is a serious risk), PLB in the pocket, foam life jacket not an inflatable, handheld VHF, fixed mount VHF, Class B+ AIS transceiver, two chart plotters, fixed and hand held compass, I tie off to the leaning post with a short enough rope to not go past the transom when fishing.

I'm usually alone in the boat, but have gone out with one friend who works on the west coast in small boats professionally. I have not gone out with a buddy boat.

I agree, everything else being equal, a bigger boat is probably safer. A buddy boat is a very good idea and definitely safer than going alone. Twin engines, also safer. Knowing your boat, how to fix things, having common spares, tools and materials is a good idea. The boat I use is self bailing and foam filled so won't sink, but could still capsize. Might be able to swamp it in the right conditions as well, but it does have a pretty low transom to let water out provided you can power up and lift the bow. Fuel, I carry 85 gallons, so burn a half tank or less. Tons of reserve. I rely on the kicker in case the main dies. I suspect it would be a very very bad scene even with the kicker if the weather picked up at the same time. Some things like a failed alternator are covered by running two very large batteries. Boat will run for a full day on batteries alone. Make sure your equipment is in good condition. I put all new power and systems in my boat to improve it's reliability. Take extra food and water in case you get stuck out there.

Couple philosophical points. The difference between what is possible and what people are comfortable with can be huge. Before getting the whaler I ran around the west coast in a 14' soft bottom zodiac with a 20 horse on it. Biggest trip in that thing was over 600km in 10 days up and down the west side of the Charlottes from Tasu to Port Louise. Plenty of people run all over the coast in 12' aluminum boats with 9.9's. I had friends that used to go to Rose Harbour from Queen Charlotte in one. I know of one guy that went from Bowen to Queen Charlotte in one. There's a lot of talk about whether something is safe or not. From my perspective that's an inaccurate way of seeing the world. Many things are very unsafe, but nothing is absolutely safe. There's always risk, it's a matter of how much and whether a person cares about it. I worked with a guy that almost choked to death on a lamb chop eating dinner by himself at home. He had to heimlich himself on the corner of the kitchen counter. He totally, 100% could not breathe. He for sure would have died had he not thrown himself against the counter. For me it's about being prepared, knowing what you are comfortable with and try not to put others into situations they aren't comfortable or prepared for.
we all take risks my risks probably aren’t yours nor yours mine but I do believe we build tolerance and skill to challenges
Good for you Flashman I think it’s awesome and I enjoy your insight I grew up knocking trees down and logging now I’m older not wiser lol just tobogganing down logging roads in the winter and ac in the summer I’m probably gonna start with a boat I can camp on solo style to build my tolerance and skill for the big water I’ve been in all the storms we get on okanogan lake and it’s pretty bla bla bla compared to the big blue and quite the thrill as for going out for tuna or whatever I’ll get there probably sooner than later cause I’m already on the latter side of sooner if you know what I mean and it’s cool to chat with people that are doing what I’m interested in
And for all the concern about price some people like to shop
And some of us know the value isn’t about the Cost !
Buy my boat spend my time immersed in a lifestyle and sell it for a good dollar if I don’t become a salty if I become a salty then so be it a latter day salty is a worthy goal
Ps no reference to the people that wake me up Saturday morning lol

Back