Scotty Orca rod holders?

Spring...the original version of the Orca would open up slightly and I too almost lost rods a couple of times....went to Scotty and they showed me that they fixed the problem with some mods. I put 3 new ones on the boat and they close up tight and so far no issues.

Spring...the original version of the Orca would open up slightly and I too almost lost rods a couple of times....went to Scotty and they showed me that they fixed the problem with some mods. I put 3 new ones on the boat and they close up tight and so far no issues.

Yeah I switched these because chris73 uses them all the time, and tried out on his boat and they seem easy to use. I guess it is possible it wasn't fully clicked in. The tension must have been just right on the clip luckily nothing was lost rod/reel wise.

I wonder if it is possible these are old ones.

I use really light rods so maybe for me to cinch rods down tight I'm not putting as much pressure on the holder as a stiffer rod cinched down would...just guessing. I would take them to Scotty and see what you have.

If you try and open the new ones by pulling up on the rear part of the holder it won't open...you have to pull up on the front half only. The old ones would open up by pulling up on either.

I have used my Orcas for several years now without any issues. Only salmon though. I think I said this before, you have to mount one of these holders backward. You want the bottom end of your rod handle pressing against the hinges and not the opening gap. I think that's what has opened them up before under pressure. Since Scotty does not build a left and right side model (which they should) you just mount one of them backward and voila, it cannot open itself under pressure. Wish Scotty would fix this though.

the latest version they have has been great.. Fish 3 of them on my boat.... the first 2 version no some much... Had islander and the newest version Loomis mooching rod pop out on my Camano sound trip... was able to save it as it didn't pop off the release clip :eek: I would advise not to use them hali fishing unless u lock it in..too many hali rods have been lost do to a big animal yarding on them..o_O

the latest version they have has been great.. Fish 3 of them on my boat.... the first 2 version no some much... Had islander and the newest version Loomis mooching rod pop out on my Camano sound trip... was able to save it as it didn't pop off the release clip :eek: I would advise not to use them hali fishing unless u lock it in..too many hali rods have been lost do to a big animal yarding on them..o_O

Yeah that was my face yesterday :eek:

I have used my Orcas for several years now without any issues. Only salmon though. I think I said this before, you have to mount one of these holders backward. You want the bottom end of your rod handle pressing against the hinges and not the opening gap. I think that's what has opened them up before under pressure. Since Scotty does not build a left and right side model (which they should) you just mount one of them backward and voila, it cannot open itself under pressure. Wish Scotty would fix this though.

I also have the Orcas and have used them for the last two years and find that they work well, but have noticed that the starboard rod holder opens slightly if there is quite a bit of pressure transmitted from the rod tip. chris73's suggestion to mount the starboard Orca backwards is brilliant - that's what I am going to do

Bought two orca rod holders last year.. Went back to the rodmaster 2's!!! KISS.. Keep it simple. Find it hard to get out when they are on the down riggers. Use them on the side rod holders when bottom fishing

Chris is Spot on. Mount the rod holders with the hinges TOWARDS THE BOW. Then the only problem is if you are mooching and a fish slams the bait and runs forwards (past the bow) then the pressure will be in the wrong direction and the orca can open up. Not a problem with downrigging.
d

I have the newest Orcas and they are great. Old ones not so much. I use them on my riggers with extensions, tilted inboard. I prefer Strikers for Hali fishing since they have metal in the post. Using the push button locking base (241L) will insure the strikers won't pop up and spin around in lumpy conditions.
Good fishing
Stosh

I also have the Orcas and have used them for the last two years and find that they work well, but have noticed that the starboard rod holder opens slightly if there is quite a bit of pressure transmitted from the rod tip. chris73's suggestion to mount the starboard Orca backwards is brilliant - that's what I am going to do
I think it is the port rod holder that would be mounted backwards so hinges face towards bow.

Just to confirm I have the right idea, I want to mount the port side holder backwards?

I think it is the port rod holder that would be mounted backwards so hinges face towards bow.

blindmonkey, my mistake:oops:, you are absolutely correct. I forgot I usually drive the boat hence I'm sitting on the starboard side, but I watch the port side fishing rod.

Back