Scotty Dual Rod Holders

ReelSlim

Crew Member
OK so I'm being hounded for a Christmas list...lol One of the things I have been considering for a while is installing Scotty dual rod holders on my downriggers. I know there is the 247 and 447 models. I run a single holder on my booms like the 447 model. I know that they both can be adjusted but are different styles. I wouldn't be adjusting mine once its set really so looking for opinions on what one's guys are running and why? Are the 247 ones as strong as the 447 style? Any info would be appreciated....Thanks

OK so I'm being hounded for a Christmas list...lol One of the things I have been considering for a while is installing Scotty dual rod holders on my downriggers. I know there is the 247 and 447 models. I run a single holder on my booms like the 447 model. I know that they both can be adjusted but are different styles. I wouldn't be adjusting mine once its set really so looking for opinions on what one's guys are running and why? Are the 247 ones as strong as the 447 style? Any info would be appreciated....Thanks
Go for the solid plastic tubes, they sit lower and can't break.

I installed the 247 bases on my fishing partners boat this year so we could fish 4 rods. Didn't like the hinge on the 447 bases, thought that would be the failure point on them. So far, they have worked out great and he is quite happy with them.

I find they can be awkward to grab quickly on the bite. I much prefer gunnel or rail mount than any boom or rigger mount.

I have had them on multiple boats and prefer the solid ones. You can turn them to get the right angle for your boat.

I find they can be awkward to grab quickly on the bite. I much prefer gunnel or rail mount than any boom or rigger mount.

I have had them on multiple boats and prefer the solid ones. You can turn them to get the right angle for your boat.
Do your rods have cork butts or the graphite butt?

Do what raincity said. Get the black solid ones. The chrome adjustable ones should be banned. I had one snap, losing an islander and glomis. I believe it happened to two others on this forum. Now I made my own double holders. If I'm solo and get a double header I have no fear of losing that rod.

Attachments

• 20230812_090112.jpg
    20230812_090112.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 79
Do what raincity said. Get the black solid ones. The chrome adjustable ones should be banned. I had one snap, losing an islander and glomis. I believe it happened to two others on this forum. Now I made my own double holders. If I'm solo and get a double header I have no fear of losing that rod.
Are those bases 3/8 aluminum plate?

happened to waaay more than two. happened to me while on my neighbours boat. i watched it snap on the starboard and go over. we put boat in neutral and luckily the clip held the line and we were able to retrieve the rod. scotty is amazing but this another of their fails

I swapped them on my HP pro packs, to the 247 ones. When I phoned Scotty to order them, the employee had never heard of the 447 breaking. I find that hard to believe. I guess when you combine an Islander, with a strong drag, cranked down to prevent creep, and a big fish. They break. After reading the testimonials on here, I didn’t want to take a chance.

I also removed the boom mounted one on my 2016s. That thing was useless.

happened to waaay more than two. happened to me while on my neighbours boat. i watched it snap on the starboard and go over. we put boat in neutral and luckily the clip held the line and we were able to retrieve the rod. scotty is amazing but this another of their fails
dam, not even a fish on it and it broke? We had a tuna smash a boom mount once and I managed to run across the boat and grab it before the tuna swam to Japan , lesson learned.

dam, not even a fish on it and it broke? We had a tuna smash a boom mount once and I managed to run across the boat and grab it before the tuna swam to Japan , lesson learned.
The extreme flex in the boom mount when a rod was loaded made me change to the 247’s. The little tiny bumper to control flex is not enough.

yep. we were trolling along and the teeth just gave way and it slowly folded over and rod disappeared. lucky we got it back

Back