Anyone using R-5 Rod holders for ocean salmon fishing?

Hot-Streak

Morning everyone,

I was looking at the new Scotty R-5 Rod holders and they are apparently rated for light gear / 15lb test rods. I am wondering if anyone has used them for ocean fishing with the standard 10'6 salmon rods and 30lb test mooching reels. I am considering getting a set but the light application makes me wonder if I'd be setting myself up for losing rods over the side.

I like the design better then the ORCA rod holders. I am currently using Strikers because they hold all types of rod/reel combos I have and are very sturdy but these R-5 with the quick pull-out feature would make it easier for getting on the rods when a bite happens.

I'd like to hear of anyone out there is using them and what do they think of then holders?

Attachments

• rod5__00832.jpg
    rod5__00832.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 29
I would say hard no on even attempting to use them for that.

I've got some for fly fishing lakes and they're good for that but I'm even wearing of them while trolling or moving spot to spot.

Yeah. Hard no for sure. They aren’t meant for having any load on them other than when a normal fish strikes.

Copy of the orbis fly rod holder. Good for that but not overly impressed by how they secure other rods. Definitely want to keep the rod in a flat position.

Thanks for all the comments. I figured it might be too light for ocean fishing. I'll stick to the strikers for now. Cheers

Back