Ideas for mounting SS rod holder on downrigger

Whole in the Water

Thought I would tap into the collective knowledge on this forum. I want to mount stainless steel rod holders onto the 1 inch thick boom on my Scotty 1106 downriggers. I want to replace the plastic ones that can break under pressure & age. I tried just screwing them down tight with a rubber sleeve but they twist when fishing. Thinking of drilling and tapping a threaded hole in the rod holder through to the boom to keep it from twisting. Probably have to go to a machine shop to get this done.

Just not quite sure about the best way to do this.

Anyone got any good ideas on how to do this?

Here are pics of the rod holder.

Holder 1.jpgHolder 2.jpgHolder 3.jpgHolder 4.jpgHolder 5.jpg

Stainless can be a real pain to drill at the best of times never mind on the 1” tube of a downrigger. It would work but you would almost need to take the boom off and place it in a drill press. I would try a band of one side non slip tape the stuff with the emory on one side before i got to carried away with the holes.

The newer booms are pre drilled. It wouldn't take much to drill the outside plate of the holder and tap for a grub screw in your case. In a drill press with a sharp bit. Use a center punch and lube. Go slow. Then tap for a 1/4" allen set screw, use loctite blue. Then you wouldn't need to drill the boom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630-135434_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630-135434_Edge.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yup slow is the key to drilling stainless, keep the bit cool.

Not worried about the warranty as replacing new booms not a big deal. The rigger booms are the normal 1.25 inch size.

I did look and there is already a hole in the boom 1/4 inch wide and about an 3/4 inch long for venting the extendible boom. Save drilling a hole in the boom.

Boom Hole (002).jpeg

I think I will use this hole and just drill and tap a 1/4 inch hole in the SS rod holder top mount piece - Should work to keep it from twisting.

Seems like a lot of work. Christopher why not use strikers on booms with scotty rail mount if your worried about them. You can mount a boom style mount and then your done. There very strong.

I have the plastic tube like you. The ones that break are the stainless sleeve ones. Those are the ones they had problems with.

Just an idea.

I thought of this, but how do you keep the rail mount from twisting on the boom arm from the pressure while fishing?

It has a setscrew in middle you tighten down .Pretty strong. I am going to set mine up soon like that. Thing I like is I have hali setups with strikers already. So I can use exact same rodholders for both. When you don't use them to just take them off.

Christopher I finally mounted the rail mounts yesterday with strikers. I honestly didn't like rail mount I used, but I found this. I am going to swap them out. Looks way stronger. There are set screws underneath to get it not to twist.

Attachments

• SCO320__52428.jpg
    SCO320__52428.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 23
Christopher I finally mounted the rail mounts yesterday with strikers. I honestly didn't like rail mount I used, but I found this. I am going to swap them out. Looks way stronger. There are set screws underneath to get it not to twist.
I just bought these same ones for my rear rails. They will twist with pressure.... I found that out first time last week while salmon fishing but luckily had my rod in a stricker with the rod guard on.

I will have to drill a hole and screw in the top of these rail mounts before attaching the scotty base to prevent twisting.

Thanks for the info. I checked out those mounts too and they did it look like they could prevent from twisting not to mention they don’t fit the 1.25 inch standard boom.

I too will be drilling a hole and tapping threads into it not sure how to do it. May need to go to a machine shop?

What ever happeend to putting a rod holder on the side of the boat?
I used the holder one time an that was enough for me when it snapped off and rod went for a swim , also I have seen many a time now guys reaching like that way over boom with one hand pulling rod away from you and seen that rod come flying out of there hands fish on and gone rod and all. with the price of rod and reels ill stick to the holder on boat...

Back