Ideas for mounting SS rod holder on downrigger

What ever happeend to putting a rod holder on the side of the boat?
I used the holder one time an that was enough for me when it snapped off and rod went for a swim , also I have seen many a time now guys reaching like that way over boom with one hand pulling rod away from you and seen that rod come flying out of there hands fish on and gone rod and all. with the price of rod and reels ill stick to the holder on boat...

LOLOL HAHAHA :eek: First off your boat is huge, and mounting a rod holder up front gets in way in smaller boat. Hated it on mine, and sucks even more with the pod now. I don't have prime real estate on your gunnels where can literally put a fridge back there, and not have anything in way.

These striker holders aren't bad. All you need is to address the twisting issue. By going to locking holder that will solve my other issue. If I went with deck mount holder they would have to be mounted at back of rigger. It's a thought.

Only other option is using the stealth holders at this point or back to tubes again. No way those Orcas are coming on boat again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I checked out those mounts too and they did it look like they could prevent from twisting not to mention they don’t fit the 1.25 inch standard boom.

I too will be drilling a hole and tapping threads into it not sure how to do it. May need to go to a machine shop?

They do fit the boom.

20230710_102745.jpg

These striker holders aren't bad. All you need is to address the twisting issue. By going to locking holder that will solve my other issue. If I went with deck mount holder they would have to be mounted at back of rigger. It's a thought.
I used Scotty right angle mounts on the riggers. Strikers are forward of the riggers.
Works great for narrow deck mounting.

Last edited:
View attachment 94582

I used Scotty right angle mounts which are mounted forward of the riggers.
Works great for narrow deck mounting.

Yeah my DR are more forward than yours. Basically where your syriker mount is on photo. The gunnel to hardtop is a bit short so they get in way a bit. I prefer the holders back.

The only reason I am trying to change this is my son has a disability and it's hard for him to get rod out of tube holder. The tubes are a bit tough. The orcas I tried but one popped open and it was new style one.

Last edited:
So just following up. Not sure if you got those SS ones mounted Christopher.

So I managed to get the strikers mounted on booms. In end was easy to get them not to twist. I just didn't tighten set screws enough.

The bad news it's seems even more harder for my kid! I remounted my plastic tube holder for now. Thinking a may have to fabricate something. I like the aluminum plate with welded tube idea.

I put one of these on my friend's boat last week since it lacked holders and he has enough scotch.
One crew with mobility issues had no problems. Less reach than boom mount for sure. Plus it made Hali fishing and stacking simpler. This is a good price that my local shop matched.

Local Vic company came out with these recently.

So just following up. Not sure if you got those SS ones mounted Christopher.

So I managed to get the strikers mounted on booms. In end was easy to get them not to twist. I just didn't tighten set screws enough.

The bad news it's seems even more harder for my kid! I remounted my plastic tube holder for now. Thinking a may have to fabricate something. I like the aluminum plate with welded tube idea.
This is how I mount my rods for my kid. I know a lot of guys don’t like the orcas for whatever reason but I’ve never had one open up.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 44
Back