Scotty Downrigger release clip problem

Yea...Sorry I was not clear in my description. I have the powergrips. I might have to rough the surfaces up just a little with fine fine grit sandpaper. I wiped them off, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I am thinking the jellyfish were a contributing problem. I used the smelljelly too! That could be it. You know what I bet it is...I bet it is the jellyfish not on the clip but on the LINE!!! I haven't been wiping that off. I will try it and see if that makes a difference. BTW - I run 20 lb mono. I think it is Berkely line...pretty common stuff. I will let you guys know how that goes.

You can buy new ends for the Powergrips cheap the old ones just slide right off any tackle shop should have them.

1171.jpg

A couple of years ago, I was WDing the **** out of all my baits and lures but realized once it gets on your line/release clips, the clips won't hold anymore. Lube on your gear is definitely your problem...as you just figured out.

What is an offshore clip? You mean the "bobbin" type clip where you have to wind your line around the peg and then snap it shut?

quote:Originally posted by Cornfed

What is an offshore clip? You mean the "bobbin" type clip where you have to wind your line around the peg and then snap it shut?

No it's a clothespin as shown below.

Offshore is a brand name not often found in Canada, I have used them but they're not any better than Scotty units IMO.

offshorelinerelease.jpg

Howdy,

I feel all your guy's pain.

ALL release clips currently & previously on the market SUCK!

I discovered this years ago(late 70's) while I worked in a machine shop in Burnaby, around the time I bought my first boat. I didn't like the downriggers that were available either (big-bucks for junk) so I set about designing my own.

Long story short; after designing a downrigger that showed some commercial marketing promise I decided I also needed a line-release to call my own to go with it. This proved a great challenge, as the 'line-release' is the single most critical component of a downrigger fishing system. Many guy's don't realize this.

After much deliberation/design/testing etc. I came up with a simple yet incredibly RELIABLE line-release that showed excellent potential.
It's range of adustability was (and still is) unparalleld. It could be easily set light enough to fish for Kokannee or heavy enough to provide a perfect 'Hook-setting' release for the largest Springs.

The real beauty of it was nothing changed until you changed the setting yourself. Imagine that, a line-release that does exactly the same thing every time until you change it.

The downrigge project was shelved after we discovered the Canon downrigger as it performed equally as well as my design. (crank & brake on the same handle). So I persued the marketing of my line-release after we moved to Victoria in 82'.

Gibb's, Peetz, and Scotty's were all interested. Gibb's was in the process of being sold so they bowed out; Bill Hooson at Peetz was keen on it but business was hurting (1982) and he didn't have a lot of $$$ for new product introduction, so he bowed out; and finally Blaney Scott tied it up for about 6-months while he tested it out and hummed and hawed (his son Ian really liked it) then decided to pass on it. (As a footnote to dealing with Blaney Scott: when I first visited him I also took along a drawing of a rod-holder I had designed - tube type with clamp to lock-in rod & and multi-directional mount. He showed great interest in it. He asked if he could make a copy of the drawing and I said - being young & stupid as I was - OK. He brought back my drawing then handed me a pen and asked me to initial the copy he'd made. Yeah... I initialed it. About six-months later while walking through the fishing stuff at Walmart... guess what I see's sitting on the shelf - my rod holder with Scotty's name on it.)

I became discouraged and the line-release sat on the shelf for about five years till I finally got an invite to go out fishing with a buddy. I brought along my line-release and encouraged him to try it out. After slaying a 27/lb'er (Sooke) he proceeded to loose the one and only prototype I had...

It's been in limbo and naggin at me ever sinse.

Thing is, now that I'm back on the water, and once again forced to 'make-do' with the available junk on the market - yeah... I swear like hell too when mine lets go for no apparent reason - I'm thinkin' again that I should do something with my invention.

Maybe time to give Bill at Peetz another call.

Cheers,
Terry

I use the Scotty releases all the time, and for the most part they work just fine. You may have to slide the adjuster up to increase tension. If nuisance tripping continues, just replace with a new one. A small price to pay,to avoid aggravation.

Little Hawk - Are you an engineer or do you just find interest in the sport? I always have several concepts rolling around in my mind but have never acted upon them since I am happy with my current job.

I will buy a couple offshore clips to see how they compare. Haven't seen those in stores for a long time though.

If you get smelly jelly or WD-40 or whatever orher attractant you are using on your release, take the yellow pad off, replace it with a new one. Take your old pads home, spray them with brake cleaner, let it dry, wipe it off, there good to go again. Works for me.

Never mind the release portion, how did Scotty manage to engineer a clip that launches itself into the water when it hits the roller so easily? I must have lost a dozen over the years.

Seawolf - Get some very small rubber insulation tubing. Cut a piece off and stick it on the middle prong of the clip that clips to the rigger wire. Seems to add some grip there.

"
quote:ALL release clips currently & previously on the market SUCK!

I don't agree at all.

My experience is that there are a number of effective designs for holding line that are on the market today see a few examples below.Some designs may seems strange to people here but I've used them on outriggers fishing in the Tropics and they work quite well.

Aftco Flat Line Clip
fl2vert.jpg

Rupp Marine Nok-Out
clips_001.jpg

Rupp Marine Klicker
clips_002.jpg

Rupp Marine Zip Clips aka Black's Clip
clips_003.jpg

Aftco Goldfinger
goldfinger.gif

quote:Originally posted by Cornfed

Little Hawk - Are you an engineer or do you just find interest in the sport? I always have several concepts rolling around in my mind but have never acted upon them since I am happy with my current job.

I will buy a couple offshore clips to see how they compare. Haven't seen those in stores for a long time though.

Offshore clips are great, I've used them for years. The main reason they became hard to find was probably the US exchange rate. They became super pricey in comparison to Scotty and other release clips. The most economical way to buy offshore clips is to buy the tandem clips. They are two clips in one, simply separate them and you have two clips. The tandem releases once separated work out cheaper on a cost per unit basis. Offshores are still available in some stores, although not common. I highly recommend the offshore clips, everybody has their own personal preferences though. As they say, actual mileage may vary.

Dogbreath
I bought 2 Aftco flat line releases at a garage sale for a buck, but the owner didn't know how they work. I haven't been able to figure them out either. Do you know how to attach the line?
Tom

i know this is an old post but i dont understand how the outrigger and kite release clips could work underwater on a downrigger?

quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

Never mind the release portion, how did Scotty manage to engineer a clip that launches itself into the water when it hits the roller so easily? I must have lost a dozen over the years.
SeaWolf just add one of the skinny pencil floats on the line. What i do is get new line after i purchase the shortest power grip and make them as long as needed. I push a hole through the center of the float, fed the line through and bam never loose one again as they always float

[8D][8D]

RVP thanks for the tip. The auto stops eventually break off. I also set mine so the ball stops in the water and does not slap against the gel coat. Occasionally in the pandemonium of trying to land a fish, I've pushed the green button to get the ball up the last few feet, and the darn clips just fly off. Some clips just stay on no matter how many times they whack the top roller and others seem to fly off as soon they get close. Maybe Scotty had a bad run or something. It seeemed to be more of a problem a few years ago. This happenened as recently as 1 week ago with a replacement we bought while fishing (old stock?). Of couse we bought the replacement because we lost a ball,cable, clip and stoppers. Of course I had the red stoppers, but the boat I was on still had steel cable. I have no issue with the release side of the clip they work fine in most conditions. But at $10 a pop, I wish they's stay on the cable better.

Back