Light gear for trolling for coho

Tsquared

With the end of a very productive spring salmon season upon us, many people are turning to focusing on trolling for coho. With that in mind, what are some of the light rigs/methods you use for maximizing the fun with these fall beauties? For me, I have used these Scotty butterfly rigs since my commercial days. Cut the nose off a hootchie of your choice and slide it over to the wasp waist with a smallish hook tied on. You want to give a long leader from your release clip to the butterfly, like 15 or 20 feet. They have a great action and weigh nothing. What are some of your ideas?
1694215741411.jpeg

With the end of a very productive spring salmon season upon us, many people are turning to focusing on trolling for coho. With that in mind, what are some of the light rigs/methods you use for maximizing the fun with these fall beauties? For me, I have used these Scotty butterfly rigs since my commercial days. Cut the nose off a hootchie of your choice and slide it over to the wasp waist with a smallish hook tied on. You want to give a long leader from your release clip to the butterfly, like 15 or 20 feet. They have a great action and weigh nothing. What are some of your ideas?
View attachment 97597
Needle fish hoochies on 18” leaders behind mini hot spot flashers

Much the same kind of actioniser 6' behind a 1oz sinker sometimes I take a hootchie and turn it inside out for laughs.

IMGP0282.jpg

Use dummy flashers. Easily the best improvement to the fish fighting experience. I never use inline flashers anymore for anything.

By inline do you mean Agitators or regular flashers?
Yes I make a short daisy chain with two of them stays short enough and no big flop like normal flashers. More time fishing less time untangling I don't have the access to the salt like most. That being said it gives me next to zero headaches bite time can be short and it keeps the gear in the water. Works well for springs for us as well.

Attachments

• flasher.jpg
    flasher.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 8
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 8
We’re on the same wavelength! I was going thru some of my old commercial gear and made these up last night… can’t wait to give them a go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 73
Use dummy flashers or skip them entirely. Fly rod with spoons. If the fish are shallow, skip the DR and instead use a small banana weight.
Banana weight on the fly rod? Spoons on the fly rod sounds fun.

View attachment 97597
I seemed to think these worked better at fast troll speed 3.5 plus

Use dummy flashers or skip them entirely. Fly rod with spoons. If the fish are shallow, skip the DR and instead use a small banana weight.
This is my favourite way too. Buck tail on the edge of kelp bed that’s holding bait. Small 2” spoon 30-40 feet out the back troll fast and hang onto to your fly rod. Awesome

IMG_20200718_102228139.jpgDoesn't always work but when the coho are on top it is most satisfying to be zipping around other who boats struggling to find what depth to set their downriggers at. My experience in the Fall is that some metal is required, whether spoon or a weight.

I seemed to think these worked better at fast troll speed 3.5 plus
That’s exactly what speed I trolled them at in Sept off Swiftsure in the 80’s…. 50-60’ 35lb leaders, super spaced out. So fun hand bombing those big fall fish on the long gear! I’m going to drag some around Sandheads on Wed.

Back