Scotty Downrigger release clip problem

Cornfed

I have been having problems with multiple release clips on my Scotty 1106s. These are the yellow release clips that have a close-pin type head on them. I don't believe that it is a bad clip or defect because I have had this problem on different clips and the clips are practically brand new (bought last winter). When I send my downrigger down (ONLY SOME TIMES) does it release on the way down when there is relatively no tension on the clip. Other times, it releases once I put the rod in the older after 10 seconds or so. I have taken the downrigger down slow and quick and it does it in both instances. I have been putting the line deep in the release clip so I know that isn't an issue. the only thing that has worked for me is to go dead slow when I am releasing the downrigger and give out ungodly amounts of line so there is no tension on the clip and then tighten up as i go. This problem seems to come and go. I clean my clips when I bring them up as I have been running through jellyfish at times. But I just can't figure this problem out. Any ideas? I know there are some smart guys on this forum! Any suggestions?

On the back of the clip ther is a plasic piece u can slide forward this will increase the tension on the clip also I always give my clip a pinch before I send it down. Hope this solves your problems

On the back of the clip ther is a plasic piece u can slide forward this will increase the tension on the clip also I always give my clip a pinch before I send it down. Hope this solves your problems

I forgot to mention that too. I have changed that setting as well. What do you mean exactly, give your clip a pinch?

I forgot to mention that too. I have changed that setting as well. What do you mean exactly, give your clip a pinch?

What size and type line are you using ??? just wondering about that if its a small dia like a spider wire or similar type you could have a problem there....

What size and type line are you using ??? just wondering about that if its a small dia like a spider wire or similar type you could have a problem there....

try the power clips(i think) neon green end. i had the same problem with your type of clip and had no problems Since switching over

try the power clips(i think) neon green end. i had the same problem with your type of clip and had no problems Since switching over

Sorry Cornfed I blew right by the model you were using, i've never used those clips all i have used is the powergrip ones http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/releases/powerGrips.html I ahven't had a problem with these yet and they ahve the adjustment I mentioned in my first post. By giving them a pinch I mean just squeezing the part of the clip where u insert the line....I don't know if it helps at all I was just told by someone else to do it so I do.

KYTU

Sorry Cornfed I blew right by the model you were using, i've never used those clips all i have used is the powergrip ones http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/releases/powerGrips.html I ahven't had a problem with these yet and they ahve the adjustment I mentioned in my first post. By giving them a pinch I mean just squeezing the part of the clip where u insert the line....I don't know if it helps at all I was just told by someone else to do it so I do.

KYTU

Watch out for suntan lotion on your hands that can get on the clip or fishing line. That got me last year and the clip would release every time. GLG

Watch out for suntan lotion on your hands that can get on the clip or fishing line. That got me last year and the clip would release every time. GLG

Sorry cornfed if you never want issues with your clips again you'll have to switch to the powergrips.

Sorry cornfed if you never want issues with your clips again you'll have to switch to the powergrips.

yeah power clips are the only way to fly
i have had no problems with them even when they nstart to wear and you use the little back clip for the extra pressure.

Getbent

yeah power clips are the only way to fly
i have had no problems with them even when they nstart to wear and you use the little back clip for the extra pressure.

Getbent

A couple of seasons ago I was using some Smelly Jelly on my spoons and pretty soon it was on my hands and just about everywhere else. Once it got on the pads of my clips I couldn't keep a line in the water! Had to go in and clean all of my gear. Won't make that mistake again.

A couple of seasons ago I was using some Smelly Jelly on my spoons and pretty soon it was on my hands and just about everywhere else. Once it got on the pads of my clips I couldn't keep a line in the water! Had to go in and clean all of my gear. Won't make that mistake again.

Yea...Sorry I was not clear in my description. I have the powergrips. I might have to rough the surfaces up just a little with fine fine grit sandpaper. I wiped them off, and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I am thinking the jellyfish were a contributing problem. I used the smelljelly too! That could be it. You know what I bet it is...I bet it is the jellyfish not on the clip but on the LINE!!! I haven't been wiping that off. I will try it and see if that makes a difference. BTW - I run 20 lb mono. I think it is Berkely line...pretty common stuff. I will let you guys know how that goes.

Back