rivers inlet

Well at least gas should be cheap. You would still want to get fuel in courtenay though. Fuel is under a dollar there now and $1.139 here. I would think with stopping for fuel and towing a boat it would be 5 hours from nanaimo

I charted it this afternoon at about 55miles from inner Hardy Harbour to the dock at Duncanby Lodge. At cruising speed on a good day Id be doing 25-27mph and if I get bored I might push a bit more to just get there.

Dougs times would be doing 15-20mph. I could never go that slow unless it was nasty. In which case I wouldn't be traveling.

To each their own though

As BearCove said the run is about 2ish hours. Egg Island is about 12 ish NM's from Duncanby Lodge (fuel, food and lodging) at the S end of the Smith Sound, making it to Egg around Cape Caution is the hardest part of the trip. Crossing in front of Egg is the most direct route, but there is a lot of protection going behind Egg, Table and all the small islands and rocks. There is still one peninsula to round to get to River's, so yes Owen you were almost there. From Duncanby, Hakai is about 1 hour or Bella Bella Shearwater is 2 ish hours. Lots of Pleasure Boats running around Cape Caution in the summer, morning fog and afternoon winds are the biggest issues that time of year. The most exposed area is the 10 NM's of Bremner to Egg Island or 1/2 hour of the trip. You need to know what Pine and Egg Island are reporting for weather and check the forecasts. Not really much farther than running Port Alberni to 7 Mile and I've had worse crossings of Nahmint Bay. I think it is a decision you have to make based on weather though, so hard to commit to in January. I might be into buddy boating Late July into Early August if anyone is interested. Happy to share info on the crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:
We do the run from vancouver every august. It's typically about 9 hours to rivers for us. We cruise at about 32 mph. It's really a great trip, just watch the weather and leave early.

its as fast as I,m going to go. I,m running a 22 ft fiberform with a 165. it will go faster maybe 25 I,m just not going to. as this was a thread about me going and did anyone want to go with me, you can take it or leave it. I,m going with or without company simple.

its as fast as I,m going to go. I,m running a 22 ft fiberform with a 165. it will go faster maybe 25 I,m just not going to. as this was a thread about me going and did anyone want to go with me, you can take it or leave it. I,m going with or without company simple.
Don't get upset Doug, we were just trying to figure out distances and explain times to get there. You could be traveling by tug or barge don't think it matters. We are all discussing this openly as is done on a open forum.

If you want to travel a 65 mile route and other want to go faster and take a shorter route I don't see a problem.

I hope your not expecting everyone to do 15mph

+1 to that scar tissue.
When Rivers and Smiths use to be open to gillnets, we would always stop and drop a norwegian jig at Caution.
Hit bottom and start pulling up, always got something tasty!
Have not been back to either inlet since area licencing was brought in, this thread is getting the blood flowing though!

I don't see what all the fuss is about....there's no fish in the inlet anyways.

Keep em Bow'd!

Back