Islander MR-3 or TR-3?

I have MR-2, MR-3 and TR-3 reels. As has been already stated, each have their special place/purpose. I have not yet found a reel that is a perfect match for everything I do. At the moment I'm running TR-3's. They are fished hard - 100+ days/season. So far I have encountered issues with bearings wearing out and also now the reel handles are also wearing out needing replacement. I have also encountered some guests who do not let go of the handles when a fish starts running, and as their fingers go backwards they catch on the centre drag adjuster which backs the drag all the way out. Some actually end up with cuts to their knuckles! This is also a common problem on the MR-3's. I think one improvement Islander could make for both versions (MR-3 & TR-3) is to make the drag adjustment knob smaller and a little more round in shape - those spokes catch on people's fingers. I have suggested to Island that they develop a proto-type replacement drag adjuster knob and test it out to see if this improves functionality - especially for less experienced fishers. Fingers crossed.

One thing some may not know is the team at Islander do a really great job servicing reels if you encounter issues. Their reel service fees are very reasonable IMO. In-season the turn around is a several weeks - so I recommend sending your reels in at the end of season if you notice anything requiring more attention than regular cleaning you can do yourself.

I have MR-2, MR-3 and TR-3 reels. As has been already stated, each have their special place/purpose. I have not yet found a reel that is a perfect match for everything I do. At the moment I'm running TR-3's. They are fished hard - 100+ days/season. So far I have encountered issues with bearings wearing out and also now the reel handles are also wearing out needing replacement. I have also encountered some guests who do not let go of the handles when a fish starts running, and as their fingers go backwards they catch on the centre drag adjuster which backs the drag all the way out. Some actually end up with cuts to their knuckles! This is also a common problem on the MR-3's. I think one improvement Islander could make for both versions (MR-3 & TR-3) is to make the drag adjustment knob smaller and a little more round in shape - those spokes catch on people's fingers. I have suggested to Island that they develop a proto-type replacement drag adjuster knob and test it out to see if this improves functionality - especially for less experienced fishers. Fingers crossed.

One thing some may not know is the team at Islander do a really great job servicing reels if you encounter issues. Their reel service fees are very reasonable IMO. In-season the turn around is a several weeks - so I recommend sending your reels in at the end of season if you notice anything requiring more attention than regular cleaning you can do yourself.

A smaller drag wheel might lessen some of the injuries you report, but knuckle busting will still happen, so isn't it more of a precaution warning to the guests?

Islander already made the newer MR3 drag wheel smaller by using the drag wheel from the MR2LA. You can see the difference from old to new in a side by side. Not sure if the TR3 is the same size.

Going smaller with less corners on the drag wheel might be like the original MR2 knurled drag wheel, which is a failure when your hands are wet.

Not trying to be argumentative.

Last edited:
A smaller drag wheel might lessen some of the injuries you report, but knuckle busting will still happen, so isn't it more of a precaution warning to the guests?

Islander already made the newer MR3 drag wheel smaller by using the drag wheel from the MR2LA. You can see the difference from old to new in a side by side. Not sure if the TR3 is the same size.

Going smaller with less corners on the drag wheel might be like the original MR2 knurled drag wheel, which is a failure when your hands are wet.

Not trying to be argumentative.
The main issue I run into with the tr3 is guests unintentionally knocking the drag tighter while they reel. As the drag is much more coarse than the rest of the islanders, one touch with a knuckle while reeling and it goes from the perfect amount of drag to way to much. It's a very regular occurance that I'm sticking my hand in and reducing the drag with new anglers. Loose a bunch of fish around the boat as I'm asking the guest to get their paws out of the reel, only to realize it's not their fingers but the torqued drag that ripped the hook out. I'd really like to see a smaller less agressive knob too.

I have also burnt out the handles on the reel, had drag issues, and had one shipped new with a warped spool or the spindle isn't true. They took it back to fix it but they didn't fix anything. Said they swapped the spool but it still had my old line marks on it. Anyhow, I like the tr3 but they aren't problem free by any means. I get 5 seasons out of a mr3 handle prior to those wearing out...

Last edited:
MR2 LAs are my primary reels and i also have a pair of old school MR2s that feel clownishly small in comparison, so they rarely come out. I really like the MR2 LAs and the free spool can't be beat, imo.

All great reels, imo, last a lifetime as long as they stay on the right side of the water haha

Oh ya, switching to the paddle style grip is a game changer for me too. Dusted the **** out of my knuckles a few times and I deserved it for being sloppy haha

Maybe Islander should put the drag know on the other side of the reel like most of my fly reels. Maybe a bit of re engineering. I run MR3's and I do love them but way more maintenance than my old Shimano 4000's.

No kicking here but maybe some of you guides need to teach the guest how to fish, then when there into a hog instruct them how to play a fish and how to use the rod and reel proper ... sounds like your just letting them get on with it till a cluster *** happens ......
Also maybe if your having so much issues with SA mooching reels go over to multipliers for the guest ???????
besides what do i know right handed and reel left ..... but most think its the other way ???????
i'll get my pop corn ready :rolleyes:

Here is a side by side look at my wife’s and my reels. you can see that my reel has the smaller drag knob. oops i meant my wife’s reel. Aah crap what have i done…

Attachments

• 9028893E-DAEB-43E5-9FF6-059120ADBBB9.jpeg
    9028893E-DAEB-43E5-9FF6-059120ADBBB9.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 128
No kicking here but maybe some of you guides need to teach the guest how to fish, then when there into a hog instruct them how to play a fish and how to use the rod and reel proper ... sounds like your just letting them get on with it till a cluster *** happens ......
Also maybe if your having so much issues with SA mooching reels go over to multipliers for the guest ???????
besides what do i know right handed and reel left ..... but most think its the other way ???????
i'll get my pop corn ready :rolleyes:
Sounds like you are tossing out a shinny penny for everyone to bite on. lol

MR3s have served me well for 15 years. Better reel for mooching. If you plan to primarily mooch, then I’d suggest going with those. And they will fish well in all other situations.

For better or worse in the down rigger.
I always hold the rod in my hand while lowering the gear in the rigger - if a fish grabs it on the way down there is a lot of slack line created making it more challenging to reel up tight to set the hook if you have another step to get the rod out of the holder to start reeling. I get a lot of good bites on the drop.

I always hold the rod in my hand while lowering the gear in the rigger - if a fish grabs it on the way down there is a lot of slack line created making it more challenging to reel up tight to set the hook if you have another step to get the rod out of the holder to start reeling. I get a lot of good bites on the drop.
How do you double stack on one side using that method?

Have you looked at the Coast reels? I got one that I used last year at Rivers Inlet mooching and also used while downrigger fishing further up north. I was very happy with the performance of the reel.

Have you looked at the Coast reels? I got one that I used last year at Rivers Inlet mooching and also used while downrigger fishing further up north. I was very happy with the performance of the reel.
Yes, I tried one for a week. The reel performed well, no issues. Drag was super smooth. I just found the handles to be a bit uncomfortable and it was also a bit heavy.

Back