Port Hardy to Prince Rupert Area and return

Gong Show

Have a client that has invited me to Porcher Island for a bit of a celebration.
I am in Campbell River and looks like I have to fly from Vancouver to Prince Rupert then get a water taxi or something out to Porcher.
Airports and water taxis are not my jam.

I cruise at 21 kts.
Looks to be around 90 NM to Shearwater, fuel up and go until I'm tired and anchor.
Shearwater to Porcher/Rupert looks to be around 170 NM.
I have conservative cruising range of 240NM.

I have a week, so thinking of dragging the Eaglecraft to Hardy and giving er a go!
I am very familiar and comfortable cruising up to Rivers Inlet, but have only cruised north of there once, when I was 12.

I completely understand that I am defying all the gods by doing this with an inboard/outboard volvo diesel duoprop, but that aside, is Shearwater still a good bet for mid trip diesel?
I am assuming that Klemtu and Hartley Bay are not as consistent with diesel supply?

Between Shearwater and Bella Bella you should be able to get diesel there no problem. I've seen both fuel docks out of gasoline at the same time, but never seen them out of diesel.

Not sure about Klemtu. Hartley Bay is notorious for being an unreliable fuel stop.

I would bet on Shearwater as being your most reliable refueling port. I've always relied on it more for beer... Pretty sure there's JetA1 for sale as a backup if you're in a pinch...

I would bet on Shearwater as being your most reliable refueling port. I've always relied on it more for beer... Pretty sure there's JetA1 for sale as a backup if you're in a pinch...
Have you left yet? When? The only problem I see is you are going to wish you had more time. Go for it. I grew up in CR and now mainly boat out of Kitimat. Fuel is always an issue but has stabilized post covid. you will absolutely love this trip

Great trip. Done it many times. We have never had a problem getting fuel even thru covid. Dawson's, Shearwater, Bella Bella, Klemto, Hartley bay.
Have fun

Back