Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinookChaser

I took it upon myself to follow my heart this Summer, give up the desk job and spend the summer doing what I love: being on the water and putting people on big fish (and lots of them).

After applying at about 90% of the lodges in BC heard back from maybe 10, interviewed with 4 and have an offer from one and excepting another from one in the coming days.

For those who have guided at, fished at or have insights into the operations at QCL or Rivers Inlet Sportmans Club: what can you tell me, good or bad?

I feel I have a fairly good idea of the pros and cons of each fishery and lodge after speaking with some people in the industry, and doing a fair bit of research, but I’d also love to get the forum’s input some balanced insights.

I guided at QCL from 2001 -2008, I loved it, I cant speak to the operation today, I can only imagine its more refined now. As a family we head to Hakai every year (close to Rivers), you will get a longer season out of the Gwaii.

I guided at QCL from 2001 -2008, I loved it, I cant speak to the operation today, I can only imagine its more refined now. As a family we head to Hakai every year (close to Rivers), you will get a longer season out of the Gwaii.
My nephew is one of the lead guides there and loves it. He’s worked for almost every lodge in the Charlottes so he’s a pretty good judge of the guide’s experience

Not a guide but have fished Hippa and more so Rivers several times over the recent years. From what I've seen and heard you don't go to Rivers for quantities which I would think that could create client tension and that's never fun. More and good size catches at QCL. Also, I bet tips from the big spenders that go to QCL would be significantly better and has to be a consideration. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Yea I think the biggest deciding factor might end up being quality of boats and equipment, and quality of fishing

Pay after expenses ends up being fairly close from my estimates (when you factor in cost to buying two islander to bring plus some gear to bring plus room and board at QCL, plus the added days/cost of someone taking care of my dog longer). RI season being 63 days straight garunteed pay vs 105 days in Haida gwaii, though the earning potential is significantly higher at QCL if things go well with tips, but all depends on number of days I can work—they estimated about 70-75/105days I’ll work (not paid on days I don’t)

Boats equipment is another story

RI

Mostly 17ft fiber glass, no cover, tiller, hand crank riggers, 1 or 2 larger boats with cover

QCL

Smallest boat is I think 19 ft aluminum up to 26 or 28 feet. All boats have at least SOME cover, steering wheels, and electric riggers

RI

Chance to put people on truly some of the biggest fish out there, but I hear many days are slow fishing up there

QCL

Plenty of fish 20+ and plenty of Tyees too, seems like it would be more enjoyable putting people on a ton of 20-30+ fish than spending many days grinding for a couple fish with a chance at something ridiculously huge

I do have a couple of buddies who did QCL as guests about 10 years ago and really liked it. They did Joe's a year or two after and said it was a FAR poorer experience compared to QCL to the point they said they would never go back.

Last edited:
I do have a couple of buddies who did QCL as guests about 10 years ago and really liked it. They did Joe's a year or two after and said it was a FAR poorer experience compared to QCL to the point they said they would never go back.
Apples to oranges on the guest experience side.

Luxury vs blue-collar rustic

price difference is very likely reflected by that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back