Islander MR-3 or TR-3?

Keith Brown

I'm heading to Rivers Inlet for a week next summer. My fishing buddy insists that I upgrade my current Peetz evolution Reels to a better drag system, I have final conceded that he's probable right that there are better drag system's available. Yes I know there have been thousands of giant fish landed with Peetz reels over the past 100 years. I also know there are dozens of other off shore makes available that are excellent reels, but for better or worst I'm stuck on having a Canadian made reel. I run a Canadian made boat for the same reason. In any case it seems to me that MR-3 has a time proven cork drive system and the TR-3 has some sort of sealed system that I have not spent the time to understand. So I hoping someone who has used both reels side by side may be able to help me out or even some one who has used the TR-3 for a few years.
Thank You

They may be sponsored or have price breaks, but most guide boats use the TR3 over the MR3.

I have both, just love them, the lack of total freewheel on the TR3 is great, no birds nest. Back off the drag all the way, and let her down.

TR3s are amazing technology, almost feels like cheating. I wouldn't recommend running one side by side with an MR3 though. They feel very different when setting gear. You really have to yank line out of the TR3 to get your gear out. There is nothing close to freespool or even a light drag setting.

TR3s are amazing technology, almost feels like cheating. I wouldn't recommend running one side by side with an MR3 though. They feel very different when setting gear. You really have to yank line out of the TR3 to get your gear out. There is nothing close to freespool or even a light drag setting.
I wonder if yours are a bit older version, as mine will have the line running out once the downrigger stops, but the drag of the water at trolling speed will still pay out some line.

I wonder if yours are a bit older version, as mine will have the line running out once the downrigger stops, but the drag of the water at trolling speed will still pay out some line.
Maybe, I sold it after a week of use though.

TR3 are great when using them with a downrigger, rivers inlet its typically a mooching spot where you dont use riggers so you want a loose drag to strip your line to depth, or feeding line when you get a take, MR2 or 3 work better. I prefer the MR2 so i use free wheel quietly to set depth.
Line burn hurts the hands when feeding if drag is to tight.

The tr3s seem to be holding up so far I don’t own them but have used them a fair amount, have buddy’s that run them regularly the last few seasons that are happy with them. Maybe I’m biased but i have an older mr3 around 10 years old it’s been absolutely bullet proof maybe I’m lucky but haven’t had any issues no line creep ect I found in my case I was never using the free spool on other mooching reels I owned so went with 2 new mr3s a year ago they’ve also been flawless. I don’t think you can go wrong with either their both great reels most seem to prefer the tr3 these days. You still see tons of mr2s out there and older mr3s so that says something about longevity.

TR3 are great when using them with a downrigger, rivers inlet its typically a mooching spot where you dont use riggers so you want a loose drag to strip your line to depth, or feeding line when you get a take, MR2 or 3 work better. I prefer the MR2 so i use free wheel quietly to set depth.
Line burn hurts the hands when feeding if drag is to tight.
Do you hold the rod in your hand while letting the downrigger release?

They are all great reels so it's the small details that determine my rankings.

I like the MR2LA the best for these reasons. It feels and sounds more solid than than the other 2 on both retrieve and runs. It has free spool. I rarely fish deeper than 150 feet. 200 feet max on very rare occasions(and I run braid with a top shot) so the smaller arbour is not a big deal for me. Aesthetically it looks like a compact precision tank and the knobs and reel feet colours always match the spool and back plate.

Then the MR3. I'd own more of them if they were not overly ported. To me the MR3 have a ratchety, colder, cheaper sound to them and I think it's from the minor echos coming from the gear noise going through the extra porting on the drum on the spool. I prefer the cork drags over carbon disc because I like the slower progressive start up of cork drags and I like being able to open them up and work on them if they are not running perfect.

I was hoping I would like the TR3 and gave it a chance. I didn't like how heavy the drag is when it's turned back all the way and I don't like how sudden the start up is. I was always scared that I would drop the gear and think the bend in the rod would be relieved any second now but really the line was wrapped around a guide and the rod snaps instead. It's also doesn't sound as sweet as the MR2 or MR3. Even though it doesn't have all the extra porting of the MR3 it doesn't have any cork to soften the sounds coming out of it. It sounds very tinny and cold. Although they are bullet proof if something goes wrong they have to be sent in to be fixed. Gave it a month and got rid of it. All great reels. Rankings would change if I lived/fished in a different area. If I had to fish deep I would rank the TR3 number one because of the larger arbour and carbon disc drag reducing creep when deep water downrigging would be more important than the sound it makes. I don't get bothered with creep but I get very little to none existing creep fishing under 100 feet. Never lost a fish because of it and I just think about the scene from Jaws.

They are all great reels so it's the small details that determine my rankings.

I like the MR2LA the best for these reasons. It feels and sounds more solid than than the other 2 on both retrieve and runs. It has free spool. I rarely fish deeper than 150 feet. 200 feet max on very rare occasions(and I run braid with a top shot) so the smaller arbour is not a big deal for me. Aesthetically it looks like a compact precision tank and the knobs and reel feet colours always match the spool and back plate.

Then the MR3. I'd own more of them if they were not overly ported. To me the MR3 have a ratchety, colder, cheaper sound to them and I think it's from the minor echos coming from the gear noise going through the extra porting on the drum on the spool. I prefer the cork drags over carbon disc because I like the slower progressive start up of cork drags and I like being able to open them up and work on them if they are not running perfect.

I was hoping I would like the TR3 and gave it a chance. I didn't like how heavy the drag is when it's turned back all the way and I don't like how sudden the start up is. I was always scared that I would drop the gear and think the bend in the rod would be relieved any second now but really the line was wrapped around a guide and the rod snaps instead. It's also doesn't sound as sweet as the MR2 or MR3. Even though it doesn't have all the extra porting of the MR3 it doesn't have any cork to soften the sounds coming out of it. It sounds very tinny and cold. Although they are bullet proof if something goes wrong they have to be sent in to be fixed. Gave it a month and got rid of it. All great reels. Rankings would change if I lived/fished in a different area. If I had to fish deep I would rank the TR3 number one because of the larger arbour and carbon disc drag reducing creep when deep water downrigging would be more important than the sound it makes. I don't get bothered with creep but I get very little to none existing creep fishing under 100 feet. Never lost a fish because of it and I just think about the scene from Jaws.
Couldn't have said it better.

Not sure where in Rivers you are going; if you are after big boys in the mooching boundary, you may want the MR3. They will mouth the bait for a while sometimes before commiting. The stiff drag on the TR3 may cause them to let go. but i don’t think you can go too wrong either way .

Not sure where in Rivers you are going; if you are after big boys in the mooching boundary, you may want the MR3. They will mouth the bait for a while sometimes before commiting. The stiff drag on the TR3 may cause them to let go. but i don’t think you can go too wrong either way .
agreed , each reel has its purpose, the TR3 is really a trolling reel that is designed for the downrigger, The MR3 is a really nice reel for mooching as you can back off drag so you can feed or strip the mooch, All the high end reels have smooth drag systems and to be used for what there designed for

Back