rivers inlet bc

I've been to all the above mentioned places and they all have their good and bad.
Rivers is not what it uesd to be but if you want a shot at a huge fish...fish the head third week of august!
The charlottes have some world class fish pass by for sure but if you add up the rod days...the amount of gear in the water is bound to produce some big fish.
The skeena system has got some monsters so dundas is a great place to try for one.
The seine fleet used to be able to fish up there and when they tied up in some spots on dundas...the amount of big springs they got was unbelievable.
Now with that said...I have a guide business so you have to set up where you get quality and quantity and a bit more of an even keel per say.
Lot's of places on our coast offer fish to 50+...you just have to put in the time and maybe with some luck...you'll get your hog.
My clients got 2 fish over 50 last year but the real bonus was that we got tons of 30's and 40's...everbody went home happy.

If u visit the State visitor center next to the brige at Soldotna- you can see the encased CERTIFIED world record salmon- caught on hook and line- not "rumor", but it was in a River eh?

Here's a couple of links about the world record 97.4 lber

http://www.towerrocklodge.com/album/photo3page.html

http://www.mobyking.com/records.html

Heres the claims for the worlds largest all around as well - 127 pounds...you'd think there would be more clear info on it!

http://www.bigspringresort.com/limits.html

Or the 126 lb claim here? lol

http://www.sidestep.com/travel-info-g11001-t24952-fishing_alaska

King (or chinook) is the most coveted, best fighting fish, commonly growing to 30 pounds in 5 to 7 years at sea (the sport record, from the Kenai River, was 97 pounds, and the largest ever, taken by commercial fishermen near Petersburg, was 126 pounds).

Unless this counts :D

http://www.sitnews.us/1005news/100305/100305_alaska.html

believe or not. 2004. both measured and released. one with about 50 photos worth of evidence. i probably wouldn't believe it either though... ;)

likwit i would like to see those photos!
if you can post them that is

it doesn't sound as though anyone thinks Rivers is as great as all of the articles I have read about it. I hope it isn't a bust, lots of money just for a couple of 30 lb fish. Any one have any ideas on who to check with for run size

"lots of money just for a couple of 30 lb fish."

What's wrong with a couple of 30 pounders?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a couple of 30 pounders. I just have not heard many votes of confidence from any one so far that my destination is a good choice. It sounds as though the hard core guys stay away from there and it is more of a novelty location, built up by magazines. If there are fish to catch I will be in the middle of them, thats why they call it fishing and not catching. 30 pound fish are trophys any where. Sorry for they way it came out on the previous message, now that I look at it, it does sound snobbish. My apologies.

Rivers Inlet is the 'classic' place to fish, although it may be getting outshone by the newer destination resorts in the Queen Charlottes, at least in the marketing department.
Enjoy your trip, keep the rod tip up and the line tight.
Let us know how you makeout.

quote:Originally posted by Time

Rivers Inlet is the 'classic' place to fish, although it may be getting outshone by the newer destination resorts in the Queen Charlottes, at least in the marketing department.
Enjoy your trip, keep the rod tip up and the line tight.
Let us know how you makeout.

Fishing in Rivers Inlet over the past few years has sucked, and sucked like a Hoover at that. I know a few guys that have been there a few times over the last few years (they've got so much $$$$ they go fishing to a half dozen different lodges each summer), and they know how to fish, and the quote is "The party is over" for Rivers Inlet.

RobTufnail et all

Here is a photo - i can't take credit for it, but i cropped it to make it not so obvious as to who and where.

TomcatRelease2.jpg

For all of you calling bullsh*t, there it is. Should we start debating how big it actually is... ;)

Nice fish bro I have been after one like that for 30 years now,, well mayebe this year ;) ;)

River Inlet Restrictions

Actually you can still use downriggers in most areas of Rivers Inlet the restrictions only apply to the Special Management Zone(which is the area close to the river mouths) defined below. Though the lodges would like you to believe otherwise as they won't supply that expensive gear to their guests.

Special Management Zone
All Species: Jun 1-Sept 15: Rivers Inlet Special Management Zone – in those waters of Rivers Inlet inside a line between fishing boundary signs located at Rutherford Point and McAllister Point: no person shall angle with a fishing line or downrigger line which is attached to a weight that is greater than 168 grams (6 ounces) or an attracting device that is not affixed directly to a hook.

Back