Zebellos August 2024, What can you tell me about it?

Drewski Canuck

Planning a trip to Zabellos for the first time. Have fished Tahsis, Nootka, Ukee, ...

Zabellos seems to have a separate river feeding the inlet to Esperanza, and it looks closer to Pin Rock area than Tahsis, but is it really any shorter or any better?

I have not done the drive in from Highway 19 to Zabellos, so I am wondering what the road in is like as well. Is it as bad as going to Tahsis?

Drewski

Fished Z many years then switched to Tahsis. When we fished it the fuel, government dock and importantly salt ice operation were all well run and maintained. The road is about a tie…. The run to pin is about 5 miles less… Infrastructure in Z is significantly less IF ( when ) you have a boat, trailer or tire problem. Unless you have a small boat , tow SLOW and carry a crash box w tools / spares, i advise launching at Gold River.

BTW, in August…you might find me fishing the slot at Pin… 17’ …..

We popped into Zeballos by boat (launched in Gold River) this past summer having never been there. Gas seemed expensive, the store ran on limited hours and was closed until later in the afternoon. I think your better off buying gas in Tahsis or in Esperanza. We ended up having to go to Tahsis for supplies. Paved road versus Gravel, I am always going to choose Paved.

Last edited:
The road was in good shape going into Kyuquot this year but make sure you have spare tires. Apparently the rock they have been using on the road has some sharp rocks; lots of people complaining about flat tires. We were good but came upon a number of vehicle with flats both on the truck and trailer.

We popped into Zeballos by boat (launched in Gold River) this past summer having never been there. Gas seemed expensive, the store ran on limited hours and was closed until later in the afternoon. I think your better off buying gas in Tahsis or in Esperanza. We ended up having to go to Tahsis for supplies. Paved road versus Gravel, I am always going to choose Paved.
Is the road to Tahsis fully paved now?

No I would say about half of it is paved now.
We have place in Tahsis and travel it regularly. I would say half is being overly generous. Most is paved between Moutcha Bay Resort and Tahsis. Between Mouchta and Gold River, I would say no more than 25% and that's the worst part of the drive. The steepest with the most hills and most curves. Still wouldn't take haul a boat from Gold River to Tahsis. Dropping it in at Gold River is the only way, in my opinion.

There was a discussion on fuel prices a few months ago. From was said in the discussion fuel was by far more expensive in Tahsis and Esperanza.
If I remember right, fuel in Zebelos was around $2.12 liter. Fuel in Tahsis was $2.42- $2.48/liter and Esperanza was are $2.42/liter.

Planning a trip to Zabellos for the first time. Have fished Tahsis, Nootka, Ukee, ...

Zabellos seems to have a separate river feeding the inlet to Esperanza, and it looks closer to Pin Rock area than Tahsis, but is it really any shorter or any better?

I have not done the drive in from Highway 19 to Zabellos, so I am wondering what the road in is like as well. Is it as bad as going to Tahsis?

Drewski

We took that road past Zebelos to Fair Harbour in July. The worst part of the road is the DUST! I have a tonneau cover and everything in the bed of my truck was covered in dust.

Road is pretty good if you’re taking it easy and not going too fast towing a boat. Definitely put a boat cover on and seal up your boat as best as possible.

We took that road past Zebelos to Fair Harbour in July. The worst part of the road is the DUST! I have a tonneau cover and everything in the bed of my truck was covered in dust.

Road is pretty good if you’re taking it easy and not going too fast towing a boat. Definitely put a boat cover on and seal up your boat as best as possible.
Same with the road to Tahsis. Fine fine dust! I agree make everything is covered and seal as much as possible.

One of the guides at Port Eliza said he launches from Zeballos every season and suggested we were being overly cautious and wasting boat gas by launching in Gold River.
Late July 2022 was awesome at Jurassic Point. Early August 2023 was better than awesome on the hwy offshore. 2023 weather was creepily calm, like the world is reversing polarity and falling apart calm. It was unsettling to be offshore in 1 foot 15 second swells and -1 wind.

I've been over all three routes and I'd vote for Gold River. While the road to Zeballos is much easier than the one to Tahsis they both have lots of dust and the chance of tire punctures, which has happened to me. The ease of driving on payment to the boat launch offsets any additional gas costs to me. If gas cost is a consideration you might compare highway mileage and gas consumption to all three places pulling your boat, and boat gas used to where you'll be staying.

A sliced tire, blown bearing .... and any perceived boat gas savings are gone. The drive from CR is also longer, so more truck gas burnt and time wasted. 99.9 % of you are coming from south of CR, the guide probably lives in Woss. A nice morning run from GR beats dusty, bumpy. Not to mention your lost time on your short holiday.

Watching this thread closely. Have the same decision to make myself next summer. Headed to Port Eliza for the first time - launch in GR or Zeballos? I think I have a good grasp of the pros and cons and have read the previous threads on this topic. I would rather not tow on the gravel for all the reasons mentioned. I have driven the road to Tahsis a number of times with no trailer, which I actually enjoy. But no way in hell would I pull a trailer over it compared to launching at the end of a paved road. Have never done the Zeballos road, so all I have to go on to compare the two is reports on here. I may just got drive it in the spring on a scouting mission for something to do. Aware of the afternoon winds/chop in Muchalat Inlet, but I guess my question about that is... how bad are we talking, really? Like avoid at all costs, or just it sucks but it's doable?

I have returned to Gold River several times in the afternoon with my old boat 17’ Arima. Always been doable but usually bumpy With my trim tabs to hold bow down it was alright. As always marine weather is unpredictable so caution always. If you had to moor at Critter Cove overnight to wait out weather until morning it would be a bonus :cool:

I have returned to Gold River several times in the afternoon with my old boat 17’ Arima. Always been doable but usually bumpy With my trim tabs to hold bow down it was alright. As always marine weather is unpredictable so caution always. If you had to moor at Critter Cove overnight to wait out weather until morning it would be a bonus :cool:
Coincidence would have it I also am in a 17' Arima! No trim tabs though (yet).

Coincidence would have it I also am in a 17' Arima! No trim tabs though (yet).
Critter Cover to Gold River is the easy direction in an afternoon westerly. Leaving Gold River is tougher. Twice I've bunked down in the boat at the top of the ramp, and headed out in the early morning.

The summer inflow in Muchalat is very predictable. Run home early on your last day before 10 am, you're fine. Earlier = Better, Later = Swearing and Beating yourself up. Calm days are a bonus, but never bank on them.

When talking to some locals up in these areas about taking gravel roads, they suggested covering your engines’ water intake to keep the dust out and making sure your engine hood is secure as many people have lost theirs on the bumpy road. If you decide to take gravel the key is going super sloooow.

Towed my 24’ aluminum to Fair Harbour last August to do a trip at Kyuquot. Won’t do it again. While I didn’t break anything it was a long, slow dusty tow. I fish Esperanza every year and run up from Gold River. Even if I go back to Kyuquot I will just run up from Gold River. Way easier on truck, boat and my nerves.

Back