rivers inlet bc

i've never fished there.
but i can tell ya right now. it's the place to be for the BIG springs.
thats my dream fishing trip!

Went up to Rivers Inlet end of July last year. You know fishing is bad when they put Pinks on the catch reports. As I recall they had not had any Springs brought into Duncanby Landing for a couple of weeks prior to our arrival.[V]

Very disappointing a 12 lbs Coho and lots of Pinks were all we caught. Hooked into a massive Ling as well.

Thanks Riptide2. Who did you fish with? I am planning on going at the first week of august.
quote:Originally posted by clearwaterB

quote:Originally posted by Riptide2

Went up to Rivers Inlet end of July last year. You know fishing is bad when they put Pinks on the catch reports. As I recall they had not had any Springs brought into Duncanby Landing for a couple of weeks prior to our arrival.[V]

Very disappointing a 12 lbs Coho and lots of Pinks were all we caught. Hooked into a massive Ling as well.

Thats really not near where I go I am in blackfish sound mostly sorry dont know anything about rivers inlet.

Wolf

I returned to Victoria 2 weeks ago from a fishing trip running from Rivers Inlet up to Prince Rupert. We didnt put the gear down in Rivers as it was too early, however it should be turning on soon(July to Sept) according to the Logdges. We hit some nice fish further north, Bella Bella and Rupert, but you had to work for them.

I am told that it it is possible for 50+ lb fish. Is this one of Canadas best chances at chrome hog? Does anyone know if there are any seals to fight with. If there are better places in BC for toad size fish let me know.

from what I've heard its one of the best places for a trophy fish, but don't plan on hooking into more then 1 or 2 fish in your trip - or at least thats what I've heard.

I have no idea regaurding the seals. Rivers definately produces some of the largest fish. The largest ever is a 126 caught commercially in hakai pass, which is almost definately a Rivers fish, and the biggest sport caught is is like 98 or 87 or something i can't remember, but also caught in hakai pass. Other very big fish spots are anywhere Skeena fish will pass, like Rupert, or the Charlottes. I heard Rivers was slow last year compared to previous years, but that doesn't really mean anything about this year.

This is all just hearsay, so if anyone thinks differently, by all means correct me.

Sometimes facts help: a buddy of mine used to go to Rivers every season and has caught i think 2 over 50- a 65 and a 53, and also a 51 in the charlottes. If you do land a hog, you should highly consider releasing it - all salmon taste the same so keep the teeners and 20's. And if your thinking of mounting it, you can measure and take pictures and release and get a fantastic replica, which will look better and last much longer for less money.

Dudds

top 3 big fish spots in no particular order:

off dundas island near Prince Rupert
langara, QCI
naden harbour, QCI

likwit,

what are your sources for that? I just read in a magazine what I put down. I coudln't find anything solid on the web either.

Dudds

From what I hear Dundas or the Charlottes to go. Most of the good guides out of Rupert go to Dundas. I haven't fished there, it is a bit of a stretch given the size of my boat and my boating experience. However I hope to get there some day. I have been at the dock in Rupert and seen some sizeable fish brought in from that area.

I am hoping Beak will post something when he comes back if he managed to get to Rupert before the road closed. He was going to that area.

Captain Dudds and Suds thanks for the info. Does any one havr any info on who I could contact to see how the run is predicted to be at Rivers inlet?

Dudds

I just threw in my two cents - it ain't official ;)

I have heard others talk about Dundas... so that was second hand. I spent a season at Naden, and have seen and caught huge fish there... in my experience, that was the best place for a chance to land a real trophy. my co-worker at the time released 2 over 70 if you can believe it. Langara is close by, and they regularly get hogs there too.

That being said, there are huge fish at Rivers obviously - if you look at average weight per fish, i'm sure it would be right up there.

I agree, release the big ones! but a chance at survival is better than none at all...

released 2 ofr 70? yeah right

Fished Dundas- you go there make sure to take hat with mesh around your head- flys will drive you nuts!

Fished Rivers the alst four years- 1st week of August each year- and going back this year- IF it doesn't turn on this year- ain't gonna waste my time- but have to add I did lose one in 60's two years ago- but have NEVER seen what you would call HOT fishing- th eposter that said IF you catch one or two fish- says it all- if you catch 3-4 over 30 your doing good from what I have oberved-

97 lb fish is the world record on rod- from kenai Alaska

Its funny hearing all the different records. 3 of us have posted what we have been told or read is the record and where it was caught, and they are all different, yet all known spots for huge fish. I wonder if official records are kept anywhere? I think alot of lodges in these "legendary" areas claim records for advertising which creates all sorts of rumours. I'd like to know for sure...

Dudds

Back