Renfrew 2010 Reports

Yes, we have been doing very well anchoring north of the closure. Not in it! The Chicken Ranch will usually yield some hali, but very small. Find a gravel bar, throw your anchor, drop some stinky bait and wait for them to come to you! Drifing will usually produce smaller fish. Find a bump or a flat gravel bed. I have cauhgt fish in every square mile above the north line between Nitinat and the north closure line anchoring up. Find a day when the tide is less then 1knt, and go for it! You'll be hooked. Let's just say that you see an anchor bucket on every guide boat in Renfrew right now, there is a reason for that.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Let's just say that you see an anchor bucket on every guide boat in Renfrew right now, there is a reason for that.

I have noticed that, now it makes sense why almost every boat has one.

Don't stop reelin!

fished walbran first light on monday till 4pm.....landed 3 springs 21, 23, 25 lbs...lost 3 others....bite happened at 10:00 am and again at 12:30 - 2ish....fish were right on the shore and up the beach a bit some fish being caught out a bit....all on chovie....not on fire and pretty soft hits

siwash

You guys using bait sparks my interest. Earlier this year we ran into a huge dogfish problem, up until that point we had always been using Herring and had no issues, we would always catch butts, but we went through a period of roughly 3 or 4 trips with no butts, only dogfish. Then we ran into a guy in ucluelet who recommended Berkley power grubs with a large pink and white hootchie, since that change we have caught only Butts, lings and rockfish, and they have come much faster than with herring.
So, I m curious what types of bait you guys use? I have heard squid is a dogfish deterrent.

Don't stop reelin!

I'll be up this weekend. WHat has been working well for me has been a sockey belly on a couple hooks at anchor. THe berkley power bait and grubs are deadly when the little chickens are stacked up deep like they usually are, but are darn near usesless on the anchor. Taking into account the flood tides, I will be fishing close to the large reef that happens in 190 feet of water, around a mile long, jutting out south from Nitinat. Fish around there or the 170 reef on the anchor. If you want to drift, the south side, chicken ranch close to the border or bouy Juliet are your best bets, but I'll be chucking my anchor this weekend. The bait is gone, and so is the easy fishing.

I have to say that if the wind is over 20, we have damn good tides for the Sombrio area! IF the wind is high, I would go to somehwere around 28 28.193 N, 124 19.916w... But only if you anchor, if you drift, don't bother..

Ebb ties are better for hali, but there is the odd spot that works on the flood.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Anybody been hitting anything on the beach lately?Heading to renfrew tommorow weather permitting.
Thanks

Any recent reports on spring action for the Renny area? Just wondering what to expect for the derby this weekend.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Just wondering if anyone has been fishing at the mouth of the Nitnat river lately? Seems like those Chinooks should be in there by now.

Was fishing Logan on Sat. and got a 25lb'er. Saw 4 other fish being caught around us - pretty slow for 8 hrs. fishing. Listening to the radio it sounded slow all over. Reading the reports Sooke, Renny and Alberni were all slow this weekend. Where are the springs? Let's hope there just late in coming.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Sounds like a pretty comon story these days nothing showing up for the Puntledge yet either and the Qs werent that hot this yr either are they late showing up everywhere?? How was the Cowichan this yr any comments??? Did the Sockeye eat all the Springs??

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Just got back from a week in Rennie with my oldest son. This was my first trip over there, so it was a learning experience. To sum it up, the spring fishing was slow. Not a lot coming in, and most weren't that large that I did see landed. The Coho fishing just started to heat up the last couple of days before we left. We did very well on the Coho out in 600 ft of water off Camper creek. All hit hoochies on a fast troll between 40-90 ft deep on the riggers. The hottest rig was a purple haze hoochie behind a p/h flasher at 60ft. Other hoochies were working well too, we finished with a quadruple header, and then headed back to pack up camp. As we figured that was the perfect note to finish the trip on. Enjoyed the stay at Port Renfrew marina, and I'm sure we'll be back again.

Guys were catching coho in about 400' of water yesterday and the day before. That's not really that far from shore unless you're in a car topper. I don't know if anyone is having luck in the harbor now.

Back