Renfrew 2010 Reports

Fished Monday and Tuesday.
Lots of fish but nothing big for us.
Lots of sockeye at 400 ft out. Non stop action on the bank for springs and coho. Got a couple fish of the beach the first morning and lost a couple.
Bananas put on quite a show of hali at the dock Monday with a big limit of nice size buts and a couple of good springs. Nice work.

Good fishing and seems to be getting better. Love the few trips that I get up there.

Foggy but nice water.

Tips

Late start today, made the mistake of fishing sockeye first thing -- apparently an excellent bite at Logan/Walbran 8-10am, lots of fish landed.

Lots of sockeye out in 450 feet off Camper, seemed best at 80 feet, normal trolling speed. Saw boats around me with double and triple headers. (at about 9-10am, not sure if it was good all day)

10:30 at camper....maybe 3 boats in total, weird. Saw one fish caught right at start, then nothing for hours. Marina said some boat did come in with salmon from there though.

On to Logan...wow, that's where all the boats are, I bet close to 100 spread from there to Walbran. Didn't see many fish caught, I got a 20 and 15 down by Walbran. 45 depth in 90 feet of water, betsy and green glow teaser and other fish with red chrome.

Fun day!

fished walbran on friday....out at first light 4 fish in the boat before 8am....2 more good bites on between 11 and 2....10 springs landed all day 4 lost no hogs everything between 14 and 25lbs...good beach fishing for sure....

siwash

nice reports! im fishing mon-wed, lets hope it stays this way:D

img3937n.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

I will be up there as well Ned with my camera. If I see you out there will snap a few and send them to you.

img3937n.jpg

The big whities showed themselves today there was a couple in the low 40's and i fluked another 50lber all were whites should be a good week.

awesome bite off cullite and logan this morning, boated 3 15-25lb, and lost 2 more. then ran offshore when things slowed down around 8am but could only land 1 keeper, everything was small for us and couldnt find a hoe anywhere

img3937n.jpg

How's the sockeye fishing been the last couple days. Has it slowed down yet? Thinking of having one more crack at them this weekend.

Another great summer in Renfrew for me. The springs were slow, but the sockeye saved the day!! What a blast fishing, (catching) them.

Question, when was the last sockeye opening before this year? I have been going out to Renfrew for four summers now and do not remember one.

I have two questions
#1 Do the sockeye hit all day long? We fished them this weekend and got our limit(had to fish a couple hours, we had to find the right depth), but because of this we missed the beach bite. This weekend ideally we would like to fish the beach until 10ish then get the socs.
#2 Any advice as far as crabbing goes? I have never dropped a pot in Port Renfrew and I plan on dropping a few this weekend

Thanks

Don't stop reelin!

I was up at port Renfrew a few weekends ago with my buddy who fishes there every weekend. They fish for Sockeye at first light the socs are shallower and on the bite better in the morning. Later they go deeper and you have to work for them a bit more.

quote:Originally posted by zmanszmail

I have two questions
#1 Do the sockeye hit all day long? We fished them this weekend and got our limit(had to fish a couple hours, we had to find the right depth), but because of this we missed the beach bite. This weekend ideally we would like to fish the beach until 10ish then get the socs.
#2 Any advice as far as crabbing goes? I have never dropped a pot in Port Renfrew and I plan on dropping a few this weekend

Thanks

Don't stop reelin!

hot hot hot for me the last 3 days. springs in the morning off the beach, sockeye right after, and coho all afternoon. no hali though, i dont have an anchor setup and thats what was needed. springs were to 26lbs with 3-4 in the boat before 8am

unfortunately i was suppose to be fishing all tomorrow with gord from the show helilogging, but TWO motors giving me trouble today sent me in at 11 am, and cancelled tomorrow :(

img3937n.jpg

Are the Etecs giving you grieve? Would like to hear more about this but maybe under another forum section with a special thread.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Are the Etecs giving you grieve? Would like to hear more about this but maybe under another forum section with a special thread.

First hiccup ive had from them and ive never heard of anything even close to this happening. One motor wouldnt start when picking up from walbran so we had to limp home on the other (solenoid engaging but starter not kicking in - will investigate further tomorrow i think its something small like a loose connection or starter post) and then the other motor got a piece of kelp wrapped around it limping back and over heated and now isnt pissing water like it should and the temp is shooting up with anything more than about 1000rpms put on it on the way back in, will also investigate tomorrow and see if i burned out an impeller or have something stuck in it still.

img3937n.jpg

We were out today even though the weather forecast was drastic. The water was quite decent fishing for Sockeye at the 450 foot area until 11:00 AM. Put 6 sockeye in the boat and lost another 6!! Most came from lines at 90 and 110 feet.

Heard on the radio that there were several bites at Camper and Logan / Waterfall area, saw several nice fish at the cleaning table. Given the wind, it was a pretty good trip today.

very good spring bite all day today it never died down not many over 30 but lots of action for sure .

I heard a couple of guys got nabbed with 18 or more halibut the other day and it's not the first time for the guy who runs the boat!

Back