Renfrew 2010 Reports

quote:Originally posted by zmanszmail

thanks for the warm welcome
so what about all of OUR salmon that pass through your shore? The ones that get caught by you guys and make our seasons shorter and more restrictive...
I am sorry I asked a question about how to fish Halibut
I will stick to Bloodydecks, peace

Don't stop reelin!

Charlie's an American too, and a long-time regular on this forum. He's politely telling you that you have stumbled (I assume unintentionally) on to a very sore subject around here, something that has been endlessly debated for years. i.e., Americans can come over to Cdn waters and take "our" halibut, without setting foot on Cdn soil; why can't Canadians do the same in American waters; etc.

With the int'l agreement and quota system, halibut fishing is very much a global politics discussion -- allocation of the resource, and the limits on fishing due to this allocation, is a more clear connection than for salmon. They shut the season down when the quota's reached, and then shut down part of next season if over quota ... so when the boats are stuck at the docks due to over-fishing, fingers start to get pointed. That's the burning pile you've stepped into! [and any more on this, and we'll have to move to Politics area]

So, on to your question ... definitely no one's going to give you GPS coordinates of their hot spots. But for a starting point, you look at the chart between Carmanah and the Bank, find some structure, anchor on it, put down the bait, and wait a few hours. If that spot doesn't work, then up anchor and try another. That's about all there is to it ... trial and error with a little bit (or lots) of luck. Drift fishing doesn't work well for the inshore spots, like out at the Bank.

And DON'T anchor unless you know for sure you can do so safely ... can be very dangerous if done wrong.

Get one of the Renfrew guides to take you out ... they'd be happy to show you the ropes ... ;)

quote:so what about all of OUR salmon that pass through your shore? The ones that get caught by you guys and make our seasons shorter and more restrictive

WOW

you could go on and on pointing fingers back and forth is it really worth it both sides have done wrong in the past.....just a question though how many canadiens go down to fish US waters???? hhhhhhhmmmmm?????????????

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

ok, lets start over. I thought it over and I believe this site to be a good thing and I would like to be able to use it and not fear being ridiculed or shunned
I am an american based out of Neah Bay, WA. We hold annual paper Canadian licenses. We fish both US and Canadian waters for a mix of everything including the two big groups, halibut and Salmon. I am sorry if there are some of you that fish Renfrew and dislike how many americans do as we do and fish out of a US port and return to a US port. It's completely legal in both ours and your fishing pamphlets. I am pretty sure that if some of you guys as canadians wanted to fish on the US side and return to Canada it would be completely legal, I have never read anything that says you cannot. I understand that your halibut fishery is being threatened by overfishing, believe me we get maybe 6 days a year to fish for them, it's a very valued fishery and I would like to see it in the future in both Canada and the US. Now lets leave this issue aside.
I meant by my first question not to get coordinates, c'mon guys I fish too, we have our secret spots just like everyone. I meant more to get an idea of what you guys were talking about in earlier posts.
Again I am sorry if I upset some of you but I would like to contribute and benefit from this forum in the future so lets please move forward and not point fingers just as juandesooka and wolf suggested

Don't stop reelin!

thanks for the warm welcome
so what about all of OUR salmon that pass through your shore? The ones that get caught by you guys and make our seasons shorter and more restrictive...
I am sorry I asked a question about how to fish Halibut
I will stick to Bloodydecks, peace

Don't stop reelin!
OUR Salmon get decimated in Alaska. Peace

A great fishing story from Steve at Seawind Fishing:

he is fishing for halibut, drops a $1,000 rod and reel combo into the ocean … bad day. So next day he heads back to the same spot and is fishing with guests. They get into a school of dog fish, and all three lines are completely tangled in a rat’s nest. He cuts the lines, but sees one line trailing into the ocean — he hand lines it up, and there’s his rod and reel back!

Even better, it is still rigged up with the tackle. So, since the other 3 rods are all inoperable, he puts on a piece of bait and puts it back down. While retying the other lines, BAM….the rod tip starts going crazy. When they get the halibut to the surface, it’s a 170 pound monster, his biggest of the year so far and current leader at Island Outfitters (grand prize usually being a rod and reel combo).

How’s that for a lucky day!

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

That is an awesome story. Love it. Way to go Frenchie!!! God that is a funny story. Look forward to hearing your version.

cby

quote:Originally posted by cby

That is an awesome story. Love it. Way to go Frenchie!!! God that is a funny story. Look forward to hearing your version.

cby
I was there fishing with Kelly and thats pretty much the way we heard it as it happened.and saw the fish back at the dock.Hope he bought lotto tickets.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Zman, stick around and enjoy the ride. Good to see more friends from the U.S. joining in. You stepped on an IED and survived it. I'm sure you've got plenty to add. You might want to give it a while before you probe on the honey holes though....Just one mans view......

Pescador

ok, lets start over.
The biggest complaint is the commercial fishing guides out of Neah – not really the sport, and especially NOT a college student! Which BTW, how does an Oregon college student ‘class of 2013?’, rate a 24ft Trophy?

Now why didn’t you just post this?
quote: We are planning on Fishing Bamfield over the 4th of July weekend and we have never fished north of Swiftsure or past Bonilla Point, does anyone have any tips or suggestions? From what I have read there are two fisheries an offshore and an inshore, that's about all I know.
Halibut migrate closer to shore during the spring. Carmanah and Nitinat are very popular spots for halibut up until about the end of June, when they will start moving back to deeper waters. Right now they can be just about anywhere! However, if “I” were targeting halibut and was running to Bamfield over the 4th, I would have a hard time not making a large loop from the north side of the Swiftsure closure, Rats Nose, Big Bank, and the Wreck? Finishing up at South Bank and/or 7 Mile. By the time you get to Bamfield, you will probably have a large grin on your face, with your limits of halibut, ling, yellow eye, and salmon. Those are some of the best areas for all the above on WCVI! You might also want to take your crab and prawn traps. Make sure you cruise through the Broken Group and check out the cave and tunnel on Effingham Island. If you don't know where all those spots are you can do a search, as I have already posted them or just let me know?

The offshore and inshore you are referring to is mostly speaking of salmon; however, halibut by all means can be found inshore, especially this time of year. Pretty much at this time (end of June) the halibut will start moving farther offshore, but I have picked many at South Bank in July and August.
quote: This may seem like an odd post, but I would like to get a summer job this year fishing (on top of my normal recreational fishing), whether as a deckhand on a charter or commercial boat in Washington. I am not sure how to go about getting this type of job so if any of you guys have tips,suggestions or connections they would be greatly appreciated.
You might want to consider an assistant guide job in British Columbia? The lodges up there are always looking for summer help and you would get some good experience! There are many Yanks, which work the summer at lodges all over BC and many of them are guides.

The “OUR Salmon get decimated in Alaska”, is true - “OUR” fish do get decimated in Alaska, but all the counts I have seen, Washington is the one that takes the “biggest” hit! BC might get a whammy, but Washington gets the “triple whammy”! Alaska, QCI, and VI all get at them before we get them back. And, I am not even going down the Oregon and California road! So, let’s really have some - Peace, there!

BTW… Don’t know about the Legalizing Marijuana comment on FB, must be an age thing? :)

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Charlie , where are you sourcing your quotes from. Did I miss a post or two or are you referring to sites other than SFBC?

The commercial fleet out of Neah does make me sick! [V] I have never seen so many salmon brought in by one boat. I personally believe our (US, I don't know the Canadian fleet well) commercial fleet is WAY to Big.
Well I believe those quotes came from BD. Ya, I go to University of Oregon, class of 2013. It's a good school, and the I love the city of Eugene.
The Boat...hmmm. It's an 06 and it gets us to where we need to be safely and usually with no problems, however I would not recommend the trophy brand to anyone. It is a very cheaply built vessel, they took a lot of shortcuts in the design and construction. maybe a 7-7.5 out of 10. I love the Aluminum boats that most of the charter guys out of Renfrew run.

IDK why I didn't post that? It wasn't my question for this thread.

So my questions from your post are what are the chart names for "the wreck, south bank, 7 mile bank"? Also when people say Big bank that's a huge area, am I just looking for humps along it? Or are there specific spots?

I also am trying to figure out how to approach fishing salmon in Bamfield and Ucluelet as well there as well, we fished Trevor channel on Sunday and picked up two springers both under 10lbs. I have heard just follow the boats, is that the best idea or are there specific spots I should know about?

I really like the idea of doing the guide thing at a lodge during summer. I have too much going on this summer but I will definitely look into that for next year, in fact if you have any leads I would love to hear about them.

The marijuana thing is due to the fact my school is in Eugene Oregon. If any of you have spent time there you should know what I am talking about. Lets just say it's a very large hippie community. I have no problem with people smoking MJ, but lets not start another debate.

Don't stop reelin!

I have always said that the true spirit of economics would suggest that Canada should advoctae British Columbians package and market our famous ( vegetation ) Marketed as such, our BC "bud" could be taxed and shipped world wide. We could undermine criminal activity and have our deficit paid off in a few short years.

Never will we see that day however as the USA makes it very clear that all trade will stop between us if we do not adhere to their laws and support their war on drugs.

Then again that is another story......

Whats the latest report from Renfrew guys?

Trev?

HL

Still lots of haly around limits in a hour or so nothing huge.Salmon has slowed a bit but we managed to hit 4 early am and 6more in the afternoon tide logan has been the spot for the last couple days great water as well.

Up in renfrew yesterday. Slow for us but others were into fish. We got an 18lb and 12 lber and lost a few, also got a 45lb halibut. Great day on the water. Fishing could have been better. Beats working.

cby

Back