Renfrew 2010 Reports

Sorry, here's the pic:

mikej42pounder_2.jpg

talked to the boys today sounded very good still to the west some nice fish into the high 30's and lots of decent haly anchored up.

Thinking of a trip up that way in the next week or two. Trev when's the new rig getting wet? or is it already making money.

I gotta get out there..............[:p]

Camper was slow today. We scratched up 2 in the high teens. Saw 4-5 fish boated in 9 hours between 20 boats. Winds were light.

Heading up to Renfrew on Sunday for the first time ever to fish. Been a goal of mine to get out there for the last 4 years. Planning on fishing up along the coast by camper, etc. What depths should I be focusing on (both bottom depth and target depth)? I've heard that hali can be caught 1 - 1.5 miles off shore. Is this true? I'll be in a 17.5' whaler. Also, any edicate that I should be aware of both at the boat launch and while fishing? Every area has their own way of doing things and I don't want to step on toes by accident.

Thanks!

Nick

quote:Originally posted by Stag

Heading up to Renfrew on Sunday for the first time ever to fish. Been a goal of mine to get out there for the last 4 years. Planning on fishing up along the coast by camper, etc. What depths should I be focusing on (both bottom depth and target depth)? I've heard that hali can be caught 1 - 1.5 miles off shore. Is this true? I'll be in a 17.5' whaler. Also, any edicate that I should be aware of both at the boat launch and while fishing? Every area has their own way of doing things and I don't want to step on toes by accident.

Thanks!

Nick

Pay close attention to the rocks when you come out of the bay. You will need at least a 3 foot tide to get in and out of the river where the boat launches are. As for Hali, you run either east to Sombrio or west to Carmanah, and anchor up on the reefs or gravel beds. Your whaler should be just fine. You can drift for Hali's but it is not nearly as productive unless you go out of the Bank, which no one has really been doing lateley.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I am not sure what reef Jackel is referring to at Camper, or cutpluggers? I haven’t seen any issues at Camper, have elsewhere though. The only thing at Camper is the boats cutting in front or behind others waaaay to close.

My favorite spot at Camper a pocket just east (you’ll see it on the chart). Most times, it is a counter clockwise racetrack with inside boats having the right of way. I like starting in about 90 feet of water, downriggers between 32-46 feet trolling towards Camper along the edge. Right at Camper it gets swallow, turn out and follow the edge of that pocket. There is another spot just on the west side, same - same Just watch for ‘No Bananas’ or ‘Last Chance’, they’re usually on the fish!

Going into the river there is a sandbar the sticks out on the right at the mouth, watch for that. You need to stay to the left of that, favoring towards those rocks Last Chance was talking about. Very much an “S” route in and out. The below link actually shows that channel and rocks, watch for them. There is a marker at the end of the river, past that marker is where you need to start watching for those rocks while going out. As far as the tides… if it isn’t at least a three foot; from the bend in the river to the native docks in Jordan – Good Luck!

Halibut, yep Sombrio or Carmanah - not so sure about running a 17 footer to Swiftsure? That would have to be a very nice day? If you are at slack, drifting is fine, no problem; however, when the tide starts running you will have to back-troll. In your boat that will be fine, until the water starts breaking over the stern – then it’s time to go salmon fishing!
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5590319

Charlie,,your starting to get to me,, seems lately that I read your posts first all the time now. Enjoy just about all of them,, thanks..........BB

Thanks guys. I'm not heading to swiftsure in a 17ft boat. I'll stick to Camper and try out your suggestions. I probably won't venture too far from camper. If I shoot out strait off camper between 200 and 250ft, will I get into Hali there? I am looking at the Navionics Iphone charts and see those depths about 1 mile offshore of the camper area. Might look like a decent place to drift and mess around. Also, any lingcod spots in the Renfrew area or are those generally bycatches when targeting hali?

I'll post some pics if I get into any fish.

Thanks!

Nick

try for haly only half mile out from camper and a little west you should be able to pick a couple up usualy big guys as well.

As for salmon you can troll around all day and get nothing and once the flood tide starts to go all hell will break loose.

Renfrew is "Good" right now, with plenty of halibut in the usual places off Carmanah/Nitinat, with quick limits for myself. A 170+ pounder came in yesterday, followed by 1 130. Dogfish are beginning to come in but you only go through about 4 an hour.

Salmon fishing was hot all day off of Nitinat for 15+ pound clones with the odd one, Anchovie was hot for me, trolled DAMN FAST to keep away from the bass.

www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Renfrew is "Good" right now, with plenty of halibut in the usual places off Carmanah/Nitinat, with quick limits for myself. A 170+ pounder came in yesterday, followed by 1 130. Dogfish are beginning to come in but you only go through about 4 an hour.

Salmon fishing was hot all day off of Nitinat for 15+ pound clones with the odd one, Anchovie was hot for me, trolled DAMN FAST to keep away from the bass.

www.swiftsurebank.com

Hi
just joined, I am also a Bloodydecker, some of you may know Bloodydecks. We fish Neah Bay and the Canadian side a lot and just got back from a pretty good day of fishing. We got 2 17lb springers, but we didn't do so hot on the the butts though...We've[?] never fished off the bank for them, when you say by Carmanah/Nitinat what does that mean exactly? Never fished near shore for butts.
thanks

Don't stop reelin!

Zmanszmail,
You just might have hit on a sensitive nerve/issue on your first post?

If I was to ever run out of Neah Bay into Canadian waters, catch halibut and run back to Neah Bay… I sure in the hell wouldn’t admit to it, or post it on this forum!

You really may want to do a little research on ‘The International Pacific Halibut Commission’ (IPHC), the Canadian Total Allowable Catch (TAC), the TAC differences between commercial and sport (88/12). Then how the U.S. Neah Bay fishermen run to Swiftsure, catch Canadian halibut (that goes against the their sport TAC and without any consideration given. Stating you run out of Neah Bay and fish the Canadian side a lot and asking a Canuck to help find halibut locations? Especially, one that has a professional guide link posted might not be the best way to start on a BC forum, which is made up of many Canadian guides? In case you don’t know the ‘delete post button’ is on the top roll, all the way over to the right.

I'm a "Bloodydecker" as well but Charlie is correct. Our side is facing a big cut in Halibut quota this year and your post touches on a sticky subject

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Zmanszmail,
You just might have hit on a sensitive nerve/issue on your first post?

If I was to ever run out of Neah Bay into Canadian waters, catch halibut and run back to Neah Bay… I sure in the hell wouldn’t admit to it, or post it on this forum!

You really may want to do a little research on ‘The International Pacific Halibut Commission’ (IPHC), the Canadian Total Allowable Catch (TAC), the TAC differences between commercial and sport (88/12). Then how the U.S. Neah Bay fishermen run to Swiftsure, catch Canadian halibut (that goes against the their sport TAC and without any consideration given. Stating you run out of Neah Bay and fish the Canadian side a lot and asking a Canuck to help find halibut locations? Especially, one that has a professional guide link posted might not be the best way to start on a BC forum, which is made up of many Canadian guides? In case you don’t know the ‘delete post button’ is on the top roll, all the way over to the right.

Thanks Charlie [8D]

thanks for the warm welcome
so what about all of OUR salmon that pass through your shore? The ones that get caught by you guys and make our seasons shorter and more restrictive...
I am sorry I asked a question about how to fish Halibut
I will stick to Bloodydecks, peace

Don't stop reelin!

Back