Renfrew 2010 Reports

Very quiet on the beach today saw very few being caught. Managed to scratch one in the mid 20's after 7 hours off Logan. Sox fishing is great with school after school out in the straight.

Thanks for the beach reports 'Barbender'. I really appreciate it!
Hey, this fall, I'll arrange another pub night in Cow Bay. Had a good time with you guys a couple years ago.

I heard on the news that there is a forest fire in Port Renfrew. Where is it and how serious is it.

Thanks
Eastpoint

Had a great weekend up there! Had an awesome afternoon at Walbran on Friday hitting 6 nice springs, getting 3 to the boat including a 35 lber.

Saturday was slower on the beach so we heded out to 500 ft and played with sockeye for a while. Not as hot as the morning fishery turned out to be, but we still managed a limit for three of us.

Sunday morning was nuts. Triple headers of sockeye from about 8:00 to 11:30 with a bonus of 3 nice springs in the 20's on the pink gear. Flat calm and hot sun. WAY too much fun.

What a cool fishery, can't wait to get back....

Gooey.

quote:Originally posted by drhook

Thanks for the beach reports 'Barbender'. I really appreciate it!
Hey, this fall, I'll arrange another pub night in Cow Bay. Had a good time with you guys a couple years ago.
That would be great! Could do it on a wednesday and take in wing nite:D

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

We drove up to Renfrew on Sat. morning (3am) from Victoria, buddy of mine has a boat up there. On the drive up we could smell the strong smoke it was quite strong, we new right away it was not a camp fire and must of been a forest fire.
The 3 of us fished Walbran Sat. morning, not much going on but managed to get one in the high 20's before we went out for Sockeye and scratched our way to a limit of sockeye. Sunday morning went straight out to fished Sockeye and springs were on the bite hard hitting the red gear, we had 4 springs from high teens to high 20's and two sockeye in the boat before the sun even started to come up. Several other boats around us were into springs as well. The Sockeye bite was steady, pretty quick limit and some big sized Sockeye. Great trip, now back to canning..

I fished in Renfrew last week, caught some nice fish though it wasn't gangbusters -- slower for bigger springs, in between runs I think (ain't that always the way). Still, lots of fun for sockeye, medium springs on the Bank, chicken halibut, and some coho too. I will be heading up again this weekend, sounds like fishing is good! Port Renfrew Marina said a 50 pounder came in yesterday or day before.

Anyways, on our Bank trip, we came across a pod of Dall's Porpoises that surfed along with us for a while, riding the bow wake. Pretty cool!

Here's some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52Iys0zYxo

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

Was out yesterday and found the spring fishing quiet. Managed one but it was very quiet on the beach. Radio chatter indicated few guys were getting fish but for Renfrew mid August I found it very quiet. Years past multiple hookups were the norm but lately they are few and far between.

Yes sox were thick as thieves out there. School after school showed on the sonar anywhere from 400 ft out. The heavy concentrations seemed to be 150-200ft dwown but there are plenty in the 70-90ft level. I had some luck with yellow needlefish pattern.

I was curious about that last week. Massive schools of bait showing on the sounder about 250ft in 400 feet of water, but the sockeye we were catching were 50-60 feet mostly.

I lowered a line deep for a few minutes, just for fun to see if anything would happen, but nothing doing.

What is the preferred trolling speed for Sockeye? A friend? told me just in gear - dead slow and we did not do well.

quote:I was curious about that last week. Massive schools of bait showing on the sounder about 250ft in 400 feet of water, but the sockeye we were catching were 50-60 feet mostly.

It could be bait, but years ago on the seine boat out there we would occasionally get a big pile of dogfish or hake if they decided to come closer to the surface.

Fished sunday, logan to walbran. First fish was a 30lb halibut caught troling and caught 25lb, 28lb, 30lb, and last fish was a 43lber.
020.jpg
030-2.jpg

016.jpg

Back