Port McNeill Area

i worked at a lodge on malcolm last year and out most consistent spot was fishin in shallow at the slide all year long pretty much

quote:Originally posted by bananas

is it always that ruff up there?i wouldn't be used to that might get sick from not getting tossed all over the place

howling everyday...was always brutal :D

n622875657_97153_2220.jpg

n622875657_97155_2765.jpg

(almost rough that day)

n622875657_110901_1942.jpg

n622875657_88369_1645.jpg

(me and dave A way back when)

Even if its blowing 30 knots, there were still places to fish in a tinny - I could often hide right in Mitchell Bay and there is just as high chance to catch a 30+ in there

Those photos show why I like to make a trip up there every year with my boat, but if you want fast action and lots for the coolers with a little barf on the side, go offshore out of Ucluelet. I'll be doing both this summer.

Hey guys,

I'm heading up-island to Port McNeill and Alert Bay for the SeaFest this weekend. I'm bringing along a few non-fisher-people, and would love to show them the amazing experience of hooking a salmon or halibut. Can anyone give an update of the fishing reports up there? Should I bother w/bringing the hali gear? I have kayak guided up there, but haven't fished there before..

Thanks in advance for any reports/tips [8D]

It hit and miss right now, although the tides are getting better.

Biggest thing is there is no coho, but the pinks are around.

There is a few fish around, but you have to be at the right place at the right time. Barronets, The Wall ( both are off Craycroft island), The Slide (bottom end of Malcolm Island) and Bere Pt (back side of malcolm) are all producing a few fish.

Anchovie or Army truck Hootchie, between 50-100'.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Is there a place in Telegraph Cove to buy local charts on paper, or is it better to get them on the way up the island? And if so, where?

21'Jetcraft Bluewater, Hobie Outback

Califbill - I always recommend getting them sooner in the trip rather than later, as there's no guarantee there'll be the right chart in Port. Trotac in Victoria has a decent selection.

quote:Originally posted by Sangstercraft

Thanks Sitkaspruce.

Guess there's not much in the way of halibut there, all fished out?

There's Hali's around, you just have to find them. Good bets are Taylor and Georgie banks, around Stubbs and any place that has 200' or more and is not in direct current.

Most things work, and so far not many dogfish around, at least that is what I hear.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

if u have a chart plotter look at a small bank past goegore bank in queen charlotte straight kinda looks like a peanut...was one of our most consistent producers when i worked at a fishing lodge around there last year....another place to try is out in front of bold head pm me if you need more details

if u have a chart plotter look at a small bank past goegore bank in queen charlotte straight kinda looks like a peanut...was one of our most consistent producers when i worked at a fishing lodge around there last year....another place to try is out in front of bold head pm me if you need more details

I wanted to go up there this weekend, but could'nt get any takers down here in Campbell. I enjoy fishing Port Mcneil.[:p]

I wanted to go up there this weekend, but could'nt get any takers down here in Campbell. I enjoy fishing Port Mcneil.[:p]

If its a NW you will get some nice swells going on and rough if its a true westerly its not bad just getting there is half the battle.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Thanks Wolf

Coming up this weekend Fri Sat Sun, I'll do top end of Malcolm or Taylor for some chickens, and don't know if I should fish Bear, or Lizard, or black bluff for springs.

Back