Port McNeill Area

Marsman

Hi, I'm heading up the first week of June to Alder Bay Resort for Hali and spring fishing. Any info or reports would help greatly. I've fished there twice but have not caught a halibut up there. You can send me an email @ bar_rig@yahoo.com if you like.
Cheers, Rob

you might find hali fishing better out of hardy, alot of rca's around mcneill. If your looking to camp out scotia bay is real nice with a decent dock and ramp 250-949-6484.

bear pt on the back side of malcolm is a good bet, so is lizard if you have any questions or looking for a charter check out roland presseau he runs out of mcneil or go with the guys from telegraph

Thanks for the info. Will try hard to see if I can get one this year. It is still great getting up that way. Catching is the bonus of it all.

Cheers, Rob

New to this forum.
Anyway, thinking about heading to Port McNeil around 3rd/4th week in July mainly for springs. Fished there last year at a lodge and and it was pretty good. Lodge was great/ fishing was okay.
Trying to put together a 4 day fishing package on the cheaper than full service lodge.
Is it hard to get decent accommodations there ? and how about local fishing guides being available ??
My understanding that 3rd'4th week July is one of nest times for springs ???
Any input or comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

New to this forum.
Anyway, thinking about heading to Port McNeil around 3rd/4th week in July mainly for springs. Fished there last year at a lodge and and it was pretty good. Lodge was great/ fishing was okay.
Trying to put together a 4 day fishing package on the cheaper than full service lodge.
Is it hard to get decent accommodations there ? and how about local fishing guides being available ??
Thanks.

Yes, terrific people, wonderful lodge, but a bit pricey on regular rates and only 3 days fishing. Thinking about trying something on the cheaper side and a little more hard core fishing with extra days.

quote:Originally posted by ray4903

New to this forum.
Thanks.

Sent you an email.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Look up Randy as a guide available through the Malcolm island inn (he is an extremely experienced fishing machine in that neck of the woods and has a nice 26 foot Shamrock))Nice new remodelled accomadations at the Malcolm island inn or Orca lodge.Nice accomadations right on the water!
kronic

I have a question. If I am realllyyyy lucky and get a halibut, at what size should I let it go. I heard the chickens are the best eating but to what size. I also have read that the big ones over 100lb's are female and produce a lot of eggs... I killed a big rainbow pushing 14lbs once and will never do it again. tasted like crap. Now I keep only the ones under 5lbs.

Thanks, Rob

quote:Originally posted by Marsman

I have a question. If I am realllyyyy lucky and get a halibut, at what size should I let it go. I heard the chickens are the best eating but to what size. I also have read that the big ones over 100lb's are female and produce a lot of eggs... I killed a big rainbow pushing 14lbs once and will never do it again. tasted like crap. Now I keep only the ones under 5lbs.

Thanks, Rob
I was told that a male doesn't get much bigger than 70 lbs. I personally don't keep them above 50 as i feel below that are better eaters with 30 ## the best.

nice i worked at that lodge last year as well its while the fishing can be good its geared towards service more so then catching lots of big fish there are guides out of telegraph cove where who you could go with and stay in the resort there or perhaps stay in mcneil and go with a guide named roland presseau hes quite the character and an awesome guy he worked at the lodge for many years but now has his own chartering business

quote:I have a question. If I am realllyyyy lucky and get a halibut, at what size should I let it go.

Just concentrate on getting a butt into the boat. Take whatever the Creator provides.................. There is no such thing as a bad eating halibut (apart from the ones left in the sun for 8 hrs!);)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I was thinking of heading up that way myself in a little bit. I was wondering what marine fuel docks are open in June. Is Alert bay still not selling fuel on the water. Is Telegraph Cove the only fuel option on the water south of Port McNeil these days.

Thanks in advance for any current info.

Not to many people posting. I was in Alder Bay week ago and got a 45 lb. Hali on the back side of Malcom Island (Malcom ???) and lost 2 others. Didn't try for salmon. The point at Telegraph Cove got some lin but small and let go.
Any one else catching anything?

Fire-Ex

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

Heard of a few at Baronet...nothing big though...all teenie boppers. (1000!!)

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Congrats on typing your 1000 post David!!!!!!!

There is a few fish around, but they are scattered and it is hit and miss right now.

Was out the other day in the wet and we managed to pick up a 30 hali while bottom bouncing the cannonballs on the backside of Malcolm.

Might go out this weekend, but the house still needs another coat of paint....

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Back