Port McNeill Area

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

Heard of a few at Baronet...nothing big though...all teenie boppers. (1000!!)

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Congrats on typing your 1000 post David!!!!!!!

There is a few fish around, but they are scattered and it is hit and miss right now.

Was out the other day in the wet and we managed to pick up a 30 hali while bottom bouncing the cannonballs on the backside of Malcolm.

Might go out this weekend, but the house still needs another coat of paint....

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Good to hear the odd report. I'm heading up tomorrow to Alder Bay Resort and will be fishing the area Friday afternoon till Tuesday.(Most likely not Friday as predicting high winds) I'll be in a 19.5 foot blue Spectrum Aluminum boat. We were suppose to head up Tuesday but had meetings that delayed our trip. Well off to catch the 5:45 out of Tsawwassen...

Cheers, Rob

Will be up at Alder Bay Sat/Sun fishing. Maybe see someone at the dock with fish. Good Luck all!!:)

Fire-Ex

Just got back from Alder Bay and two boats we got 6 Hali's with a 36 and 32. Also got a 15 lb. snapper which was good. Weather was great both day Sat/Sun.

Fire-Ex

Picked up a 26 lbs spring and a 30 hali yesterday. Also released a sub teen spring and a few small hali and ling.

Good day yesterday.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Well thought I better reply since all the good tips I got through here. We (3 guys) got up to Alder bay last Friday afternoon. We didn't start to fish till Saturday morning. We are rookies so it took us a day to explore around. Started at Stubbs and landed what could have been a legal ling but released it as it looked a little thin. We hooked a couple of rock fish (2lbs or so) and pacific cod. No hali's on Saturday but had a great time on the water. The first 2 days the water was flat.

We headed out Sunday morning again around 8am and decided to see if any salmon were around. We forgot to put some gas in the kicker tank but it still had about 1/2 gallon for the older Honda 10hp. Once we got out to Donagel head, the troller motor would not run and was sucking a bit of air. So we started to jig and drift in the 300' range and bang I had a bite. I landed a 14lb Hali.... My 2nd ever. :D My other 2 buddies both landed fish, a 15lb and 19lb. I was helping my one buddy and my rod went off in the holder taking line. Ended up losing it before I could get a feel.. [8)] Not sure what that was but probably another hali. We then decided to go into telegraph code and fuel up the boat / kicker tanks. We then headed to check our prawn traps at Beaver Cove and managed about 3 dozen. All we needed for a snack before dinner. We left the prawn traps out over night again and headed in.

Monday we went out and put in a few hours jigging and manage one 12lb hali. We went back to have lunch and then 2 of us headed out to troll for salmon. As soon as I got the gear down one of the rods went off. Caught and release a about a 6lb wild coho. We tolled for about an hour or so but did not hit any springs. There are a few around but a little early from what I hear. We went to pick up our prawn traps but they were gone. Not sure if someone swiped them or got dragged by a log boom. Probably our fault for putting them in the logging area. We also had 2 crab traps out but some one cleaned those out as all the meat was gone and when some one closed the traps they did it differently than what I did. Hope they enjoyed them. [xx(]

I'm hoping to get back up there early July if I can swing it.

Cheers, Rob

i prefer to fish in tight up at the following point next to an old landslide and up to lizard thats where i have had most of my success

Haha.

I prefer to fish off the end of the reef at Black Bluff. I have had most of my success trolling a cuttle fish hootchie directly off the bow of a ginger guided ACB boat.

quote:Originally posted by ray4903

New to this forum.
Anyway, thinking about heading to Port McNeil around 3rd/4th week in July mainly for springs. Fished there last year at a lodge and and it was pretty good. Lodge was great/ fishing was okay.
Trying to put together a 4 day fishing package on the cheaper than full service lodge.
Is it hard to get decent accommodations there ? and how about local fishing guides being available ??
My understanding that 3rd'4th week July is one of nest times for springs ???
Any input or comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

As follow up to my post in late May.. Now looking to firm things up for trip.
Have appreciated all the comments and recommendations thus far.
Also, have some guys from Uclelet and Tofino pushing for that area.
Know nothing about that area but they make it sound attractive in terms of accommodation, fishing and cost ?
Final will be 4 guys to come up 3rd or 4th week in July - stay probably 5 days , fish 4 days. Looking for budget but not ridiculous. We have fished WC QC lodes for 10 years so know ell the differences and just need to go fishing and do it on a decent budget- well below a lodge cost. So meaning we stay in local accommodations ( hotel / motel/ whatever_ but in a place where you see it and go ' Whoa', not good, eat locally, fish with local guides with good boats and love for fishing- we ain't tourists - and will fish hard. Timing will be 3rd or 4th week of July- we can do weekdays to avoid weekend crowds etc.
We would like to get this set up in next 4-6 days and go firm.
I have gotten so many mixed reports on various options it is really hard to make decision. Uce and Tofino offering great deals but as I said know nothing about the area and did like Pt.Neil area on the fishing grounds.
At the end of the day , we are 4 guys who love fishing, are going to arrange something for sure and have done everything from really rustic to top class - now looking for something in between with objective of getting in some quality fishing, decent accommodations and not having the wives kill us on what we spend.
Oh yeah, we would like to have fair chance to get into some fish .
Just regular guys who get along with other good guys, have fun, catch fish and leave happy.
Any suggestions as we finalize are greatly welcomed.
Thank and sorry if this is too f...ng long.

Lots of good options.

Telegraph Cove
- Some great guides there and nice accommodation. They have fishing packages as well

Port McNeill
- Black Bear Lodge (actually a motel)
- Cluxewe Resort, just out of McNeill, nice ocean side cabins.
- Lots of good guides in the area.

This is Roland's site. Been around a long time. Does the fishing report for the paper. A few guys on here know him.
http://www.nifishad.com/

There is one outfit you should stay away from. PM me and I will pass it along.

You can also try Port Hardy, look up Serengeti Charters or Bear Cove, they are both on here and can catch fish.

Great time to be up here.

Uci and Tofino are good places as well.

Choices...choices.......

Good luck and where ever you chose to go, you will catch fish.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Info greatly appreciated.
sent you a PM.
We are good guys putting a trip together and appreciate all the help in a new area.
Thank you.

When I used to work up there we would run to malcom in the mornings and fish flower island,white beach and definatlly craycroft on an afternoon flood that place can be VERY hot as the fish get pushed in ther big time and have gotten a fair share of biggies from it for some reason malcom in afternoons dont really produce??? dont know why???

As for craycroft just watch what the other boats are doing they come up into(inside tact)the current then down on the outside which takes about 5 min on a good flood and do be afraid of going a bit deeper in the 80 ft depth range there.

I was there for 15 yrs love that place and indeed miss it very much.
If you want some more info pm me i have a few secrets to share if you want (hali spots).this is a pic of a woman who brought in this beaut in june a couple of yrs back (craycroft)afternoon flood
DSCN0144_2.jpg

And this is malcom in the morning lizard pt
coastalsprings2007011.jpg
Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

is it always that ruff up there?i wouldn't be used to that might get sick from not getting tossed all over the place

LOL yeah thats a real bad day LOL trev

As for the wall you may be refering to is right across from craycroft where blackfish sound starts, down from lizard we calll it the "slide" as you will see where a mud slide broke away into the ocean. then down from there is donegal pt that whole stretch can be good. if fishing is slow we used to bring the gear up to 17 and 23 ft and go as tight as you could in the kelp beds sometines they hide in there dont be afraid to try it the whole bottom there is no reef to hang up nice and clear.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back