Taking DFO to Court

victoriaboater

Hi Everyone

This is a repost of information sent out by the Port Renfrew Chamber of commerce. Probably just as important as actual cash is the number of people willing to donate. So even if you only donate 1$ it adds weight. see below...

-----------------

Hi Friends,

Link to campaign: https://gofund.me/6864ac65

I hope this email finds you well. I'm reaching out to you today because I believe in the power of community and the difference we can make when we come together for a common cause. I want to share an important campaign and ask for your support for this industry.

There is currently a GoFundMe campaign aimed at securing legal representation to effectively engage with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and challenge their unjust operational practices. As you may know, the recent regulations have had a severe impact on many small business owners, especially those running charter businesses in rural and remote areas. Entire communities, including families and friends, are facing the consequences of these arbitrary rule changes.

The goal is simple: to stand up against the DFO and demand fair, stable, and science-based regulations. I firmly believe that the decisions affecting our precious marine resources should be guided by evidence and not political considerations. By supporting this campaign, you can help assemble a legal team that will effectively challenge the DFO's actions and advocate for the sustainable management of our fisheries.

I invite you to visit the GoFundMe page https://gofund.me/6864ac65 to learn more about our cause and consider making a donation. Every contribution, no matter how small, will make a meaningful impact and bring us one step closer to achieving our objectives. Additionally, sharing the campaign with your network or on social media would greatly help it reach a wider audience and maximize its chances of success.

Together, we can make a difference. By supporting this campaign, you will help protect the livelihoods of hardworking fishermen, the viability of small towns, and the long-term health of our marine ecosystems.

Let's ensure that future generations can enjoy thriving fisheries and vibrant communities.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email and for considering supporting the cause. If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Your generosity and support mean the world to many who are struggling.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Tucker , President

Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce

While I am thankful for all the people who spend their time at SFAB meetings, and lobbying through other various organizations, having our rights secured in court in the way that quota is allocated, the way the FN's have effectively done (at great time and expense mind you) is the ONLY way things are realistically going to change for the better for our user group. I am very glad to see this trend beginning.

Otherwise, we will always be at the mercy of the politics of the bureaucrats in charge of DFO and the political direction they take from the PM of the day. People need to wake up and realize that if you vote liberal or NDP or green you are voting away the right to access your fishery. period. full stop. I can't stand lots of the conservatives policies, and I think their current leader is a bad joke, but from what I have seen of their candidates they are the only party willing to listen to sport fishers.

The only way that our political lobbying power will increase is if sport fishers are mobilized as a more effective voting block (unlikely) or as very lucrative donors (possible) to the parties that win power.

"...we are demanding informed regulations that remain fixed for at least a full season" - from the gofundme page.

Would be nice to have that stability but seems unrealistic in a world where we're experiencing an increasingly variable climate (e.g. environmental impacts like heatwaves, landslides, drought that necessitate in-season management responses). I get the frustrations (from sport and commercial) and think it's ridiculous to set the regs days before they're going to be enforced but I don't agree with this part of the argument. The dept should be able to make emergency modifications to regs when there's a clear, unexpected environmental impact that is going to affect stocks based on scientific understanding (not the opinion of any special interest group).

But that's just like, my opinion, man...

"...we are demanding informed regulations that remain fixed for at least a full season" - from the gofundme page.

Would be nice to have that stability but seems unrealistic in a world where we're experiencing an increasingly variable climate (e.g. environmental impacts like heatwaves, landslides, drought that necessitate in-season management responses). I get the frustrations (from sport and commercial) and think it's ridiculous to set the regs days before they're going to be enforced but I don't agree with this part of the argument. The dept should be able to make emergency modifications to regs when there's a clear, unexpected environmental impact that is going to affect stocks based on scientific understanding (not the opinion of any special interest group).

The science says every fish we can’t keep , the guys with the nets in the river can, end of story. I am all for conservation to keep the resources healthy but don’t agree with the way wth redistribution period

Couldn’t agree more. The least scientific way to manage a fishery is to have rigid regulations. Fisheries need to be adaptive in their management. Are current regulations purely scientific? Of course not. But this thread of requiring rigid regulations to provide certainty is something that needs to be dropped from this campaign. Population productivity is variable, and not precisely predictable a year out, therefore regulations should follow that variable nature.

Good to see some pressure being put on DFO by a chamber of commerce. Maybe they’ll listen to some money if they’re not listening to their scientists…

we are demanding informed regulations that remain fixed for at least a full season

in fairness the IFMP regulations do remain fixed for a full year, the problem is when they release it this far into the season. IMO should be done before march, maybe that's expecting to much.

If not, in in my opinion the SFI-BC and other groups like PFA, SVIAC, BCWF, FRSFA, local fishing clubs, local businesses chambers of commerce, town councils, etc. should! A court case or two is the only way to protect the public right to fair and reasonable access the public fishery. Trying to be nice and work with DFO, other sector groups and ENGO’s has not worked!!

The other sectors have all had court cases that have resulted in getting more of what they want - but the public fishery has not. This needs to change.

Time for us to put aside our petty differences put our money where our mouths are and work together to raise some serious funds to take DFO to court to protect our public fishery access. If not we will end up like it is on the east coast with virtually no public fishery!

We cannot let this happen! I say support this GoFundMe campaign and more like it. When we have some serious $ then we can carefully pick the right case to take DFO to court for their politically driven, non science based mismanagement!!

It is the only thing DFO will respond to - got to fight power with power to get some needed changes!

Last edited:
300,000 people in this province fish the tidal waters? WoW!
That's like 1 in every 12 BC resident.

I'm not sure how many are BC residents. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 2022 DFO report of sold tidal licences was 350,000 ish.

Edit:

This is easier

~237,000 tidal salmon stamps were sold in BC last year. So, yeah. That's a big number. Now if you can get them to spend a few coins and make their stamps worth something, that might shake some pillars in DFO's headoffice.

~237,000 tidal salmon stamps were sold in BC last year. So, yeah. That's a big number. Now if you can get them to spend a few coins and make their stamps worth something, that might shake some pillars in DFO's headoffice.
DFO probably doesn't care because it looks like they sold more stamps even though they increased restrictions.

I think they would once they see the risk of a court action or negative public image. The minority government has never been in such dire state of publicity and the risk of something similar to what happened in NS can make them switch to extreme survival mode. I know this is all wishful thinking but if there’s a perfect time to put pressure on the feds, it’s probably best to do it right now.

Back