Taking DFO to Court

I would to help this cause beyond my donation.
Does anyone have contact info for the person driving this?

Hi Everyone

This is a repost of information sent out by the Port Renfrew Chamber of commerce. Probably just as important as actual cash is the number of people willing to donate. So even if you only donate 1$ it adds weight. see below...

-----------------

Hi Friends,

Link to campaign: https://gofund.me/6864ac65

I hope this email finds you well. I'm reaching out to you today because I believe in the power of community and the difference we can make when we come together for a common cause. I want to share an important campaign and ask for your support for this industry.

There is currently a GoFundMe campaign aimed at securing legal representation to effectively engage with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and challenge their unjust operational practices. As you may know, the recent regulations have had a severe impact on many small business owners, especially those running charter businesses in rural and remote areas. Entire communities, including families and friends, are facing the consequences of these arbitrary rule changes.

The goal is simple: to stand up against the DFO and demand fair, stable, and science-based regulations. I firmly believe that the decisions affecting our precious marine resources should be guided by evidence and not political considerations. By supporting this campaign, you can help assemble a legal team that will effectively challenge the DFO's actions and advocate for the sustainable management of our fisheries.

I invite you to visit the GoFundMe page https://gofund.me/6864ac65 to learn more about our cause and consider making a donation. Every contribution, no matter how small, will make a meaningful impact and bring us one step closer to achieving our objectives. Additionally, sharing the campaign with your network or on social media would greatly help it reach a wider audience and maximize its chances of success.

Together, we can make a difference. By supporting this campaign, you will help protect the livelihoods of hardworking fishermen, the viability of small towns, and the long-term health of our marine ecosystems.

Let's ensure that future generations can enjoy thriving fisheries and vibrant communities.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email and for considering supporting the cause. If you have any questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Your generosity and support mean the world to many who are struggling.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Tucker , President

Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce

This lawsuit will have implications for all of coastal BC not just Port Renfrew.
Everyone here ******* every time DFO takes away a bit more of our fishing opportunities. This is the only way that we can tell them enough is enough.
I challenge all members of this site to donate a minimum $100, which is barely the cost of one days fishing for most of us.

I 100 percent support this and have been on this line for a long time. Everyone who buys a lienece should support this.

If you can afford to fish and buy a licence you should be able to support the managment for the cause

$25,000 for legal opinion, and trying to raise 100k total?? While the need a merit is there.. if just getting an opinion is going to cost 25k.. a lawsuit taking on the government will be cost prohibitive without a doubt

$25,000 for legal opinion, and trying to raise 100k total?? While the need a merit is there.. if just getting an opinion is going to cost 25k.. a lawsuit taking on the government will be cost prohibitive without a doubt
You will never get to the finish line if you never start.

yeah i think its an more expensive root, going out in fishing in the area and getting DFO to ticket you and then taking the Ticket/appearance notice to court would probably be cheaper.

Of course run the risk of DFO dropping the charges to avoid going to court and having an opinion ever happening.

I donated to the below one and was a bit disappointed in the outcome. was hoping it would go to court

"Bootsma said their court date was supposed to have been in December 2022.

“We had been prepared to go to court and had a lawyer who felt we had a strong argument,” Bootsma said.

A GoFundMe account ‘Save the public Fraser River fishery’ was launched by the FVSS to support the FRSA, raising $17,850 in its first month to cover legal costs of the five anglers charged.

Eventually the account had more than $50,000 in it with 209 individuals and businesses chipping in to protect the public fishery.

Then fast forward to December 2022, Bootsma was notified by their lawyer that the charges had been quietly dropped by Crown."

Info on the BC Recreational Fishing Association

The BC Recreational Fishing Association
needs our help
Please donate, even if it is a small amount to
help preserve our fishery for future generations

We need EVERYONE in the fishing communities to come together
and support the BC Recreational Fishing Association

Please donate and share 🎣

Update

The BC Recreational Fishing Association has now retained a recommended legal counsel from Gowlings WLG in Ottawa. Our counsel comes highly recommended and has the experience and expertise to challenge the DFO with respect to its flawed process in determining measures and restrictions to protect the Fraser River Chinook salmon and the southern resident killer whales. The first step in the action is to attain a legal opinion. Gowlings has now been engaged to complete this process. The cost for the legal opinion is $25,000 of which most of the funds have now been raised however we are still short about $3000.00. Once the legal opinion has been written, the next step will be determined and will likely involve filing an application for judicial review. The Federal Court has exclusive jurisdiction to review the legality of actions of most federal offices, boards, commissions, and tribunals. On this basis, a significant number of government decisions at the federal level may be challenged in the Federal Court.

We will be in touch again as things progress. There will be a significant requirement for more funds to pay for the next steps. Please spread the word to any all persons in the recreational fishing community as a small donation from each person in the larger community will create the best opportunity to be successful in preserving our fishery for future generations. Thank you for your support.

The BC Recreational Fishing Association Executive

Karl Ablack, Port Renfrew Management Ltd.

Chris Tucker, Wild Coast Wilderness Resort

Matt Wiley, Wiley Sportfishing

The BC Recreational Fishing Association supports the protection and preservation of the Southern Resident Killer Whales, Fraser River Chinook salmon and other endangered species. We are supportive of doing what it takes to ensure the preservation of the species and our endangered communities.

More info on The BC Recreational Fishing Association

Preserving Our Way of Life: Standing Together Against Unjust DFO Regulations

Dear Supporters,

We are rallying together to challenge the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and demand fair and science-based regulations. For far too long, the DFO has made decisions driven by politics rather than sound scientific principles. Last-minute rule changes have had a devastating impact on small business owners, particularly those running charter businesses in rural and remote areas. Entire small towns and countless families have been affected by these sudden shifts, particularly here on Vancouver Island.

By contributing to this campaign, you can help us hire the legal experts we need to engage with the DFO to ensure our voices are heard. We have exhausted every other avenue, imploring the DFO to prioritize scientific evidence over the influence of special interest groups. As passionate recreational fishers, we are deeply invested in the long-term stability of our fisheries and the well-being of fish stocks. Every day, we witness the repercussions of the DFO's decisions, which seem to focus on the sport fishing industry while neglecting the real underlying issues.

What we seek is stability in this industry. We are not advocating for a complete absence of rules; rather, we are demanding informed regulations that remain fixed for at least a full season. It is imperative that regulations be released one year in advance, not merely days before they are enforced. Charter operators and the industries that rely on and support them require this level of stability to thrive. Our ultimate vision is to foster flourishing fisheries and communities that benefit us all.

We intend to work collaboratively with the DFO to establish fair, stable, and fact-based regulations. However, despite our efforts to engage in dialogue, the DFO has turned a deaf ear to our concerns. It is time for us to raise our voices, amplify our message, and compel the DFO to listen.

Enough is enough. We will not remain silent any longer.

We Support measures to protect the Fraser River Chinook Salmon and other endangered species and we urge you to stand with us in preserving our way of life for the sake of our present and future generations. Together, we can create lasting change and secure a sustainable future for many generations to come.

Thank you for your support,

BC Recreational Fishing Association

The goals of the BC Recreational Fishing Association are;
1) Create a unified voice encompassing all coastal communities on the north, central and south coast of British Columbia including Vancouver Island.
2) Raise necessary funds to engage the DFO in a legal challenge to their lack of transparency and untimely process.

The funds collected will be used exclusively toward the legal challenge to the DFO. No funds will be used for the operation of the BCRFA as it is a fully volunteer group and all operational costs are borne by the members as needed. Any funds collected beyond what is needed will be donated to further fish enhancement programs.

I have donated.

The fishery in Port Renfrew has changed greatly over the past 20yrs since I first experienced it. Our limits were double what they are now, guide prices were half and there was one marina.
But back then you could go out to the bank and hook into multiple 50-70lbs halibut, then troll for 15-20lbs salmon. All incredible fish to land and an amazing experience.

Now in my experience (with the same guide) it's 20-40lbs halibut and 8-12 pound salmon. Sometimes you don’t even get your halibut limit. And kind of just reel the salmon in.

Despite what people think there are a lot of incredible scientists' that work, and have worked, for DFO.

So, is it DFO? Yes, the politicians maybe making poor choices?
But Port Renfrew fishing has changed drastically.
Having DFO change policy on recreational fishing isn't going to bring back big fish?

Back