Hello! North Vancouver Freshwater Options

Komp

Hi there! I'm moving to North Vancouver to work on a major project for ~3 years from Alberta. I grew up flyfishing for trout in the foothills and over the last few years I've been doing some still water fishing in the fall and spring. Poking around the internet the last week or so I've been trying to figure out the freshwater flyfishing options around North Vancouver and it doesn't look like there are a ton of them. Most of my fishing would be done in the evening after work (I'll be flying home on weekends) but I have no issue driving for ~60 mins and then heading out on a decent hike if it gets me a few hours of quality fishing. Not expecting anyone to tell me their spots but if you are able to give me a few quick responses to get me on the right track it would be greatly appreciated.

Capilano System - I'll obviously be giving this a go as its right in the city, but I imagine there is always a crowd around. On the BC regulations it says there is no fishing upstream of a certain bridge on the lower section of the river, is that inclusive of the lake itself and the streams above Capilano Lake? I'll either bring my tube or buy another one if I have some lake options in the area.

Catch/Release Stocked Lakes - The closest stocked lake I see that looks appealing is Browning Lake towards Squamish, which despite being right on the highway I'll probably give a go in a tube. In Alberta we have both QSF's (Quality Stocked Fisheries - Lower stocking #'s + bait bans and other regs = bigger fish) and then also full C&R stocked lakes. Is there anything like this in the Lower Mainland or is it all just put/take style fisheries for trout as the focus is more on the salmon/steelhead from a management perspective? I don't have much interest in still water fishing if the max fish size is under 18".

Squamish Area - The closest area I see on the map that has similar sized streams to what I am used to and a decent amount of stocked lakes is Squamish with the Mamquan, Squamish, etc. Am I right on this?

When in Rome.... - Am I being dumb looking for info on trout in a region that has salmon runs and steelhead? I am guessing the answer to this question is yes and I should bring a heavier fly rod/reel setup (I have a 6wt and a 9wt) and lean into what the locals are doing. I've seen videos of the Vedder (?) salmon runs where there are hundreds of people on shore and it looks like nightmare fuel. My background is fishing more isolated mid-size streams (and smaller lakes) for rainbows/browns/cutts/tigers up to ~22-24" but maybe this just isn't something that is on tap in the Lower Mainland.

I appreciate any tips/advice and as I start to spend more time in the area towards the summer I'm more than willing to join someone on an adventure. I'm not afraid of a tough hike to try out a new section of water. Thanks again and tight lines!

Reid

Bring it all and Yes there's little like what you're accustomed to.

Highwater tackle in North Van is a good place for local North Shore info.

if you dont mind the 4-6 hour drive, merrit to kamloops has hundreds (thousands?) of lakes, many stocked and would be your best bet for some larger still water fish. they dont get as big in the lakes closer to home. Alternatively head north on the 99 towards 100mile and theres another hundreds of lakes with big fish. For salmon you can stay close to home and hit up the cap, but yes it will be a zoo. Theres also decent beach fishing at ambleside. Go out for a charter on the local salt. If you venture out to the Vedder during salmon season, be prepared for combat fishing. shoulder to shoulder, lines crossing every direction, occasional fist fights.... If you're still around, we may have an opening for pinks on the Fraser in 2025, at 4-6 lbs they are alot of fun on the fly. oh, and make sure you read the regs (easier said than done) Tidal and Non-tidal have seperate licensing and regulations.

The Squamish system has bull trout and steelhead in winter and spring. Salmon are available in late summer and fall. It's less than an hour's drive from North Van. Salmon can be caught off beaches in North and West Vancouver in summer and early fall. Upper Howe Sound has some beach fishing for pink salmon (odd years only) and some chinook and coho. A boat can get you into more salmon opportunities in English bay. Even a small cartopper or inflatable opens up your chances. There is good lake fishing around Whistler and Pemberton. The Birkenhead River has bull trout and rainbow. Lots of good opportunities up that way. Right in Lyn Valley little Rice Lake gets stocked with put and take trout spring and fall. There are also some hike in Lakes off the highway to Whistler and in the Paradise Valley area just north of Squamish. Check out the Gofishbc.com website and this interactive map to see what lakes are stocked: https://www.gofishbc.com/where-to-fish/

Capilano System - I'll obviously be giving this a go as its right in the city, but I imagine there is always a crowd around. On the BC regulations it says there is no fishing upstream of a certain bridge on the lower section of the river, is that inclusive of the lake itself and the streams above Capilano Lake? I'll either bring my tube or buy another one if I have some lake options in the area.

Reid
Is this the regulation line you refer to?
"No Fishing upstream of fishing boundary signs at footbridge situated approximately 100 m downstream of the fish fence"
That is the Cable Pool bridge, which is just down from the fish fence at the salmon hatchery. The hatchery is a couple hundred metres down from Cleveland Dam. It is illegal to enter, let alone fish, in Capilano Reservoir (Lake) as well as the entire river system upstream, because that is the watershed (main source of drinking water for Greater Vancouver).
Map here: https://www.fishnbc.com/locations/capilano.html

The Cap hatchery produces coho, which return to the river much earlier than other rivers. It's been many years since lived there, but I seem to recall that coho return in June. I've heard that it's very crowded, from the estuary right up to the fishing boundary near the hatchery.

RalphH mentioned Rice Lake in upper Lynn Valley. A small float was installed at the lake for fishing access, mainly for children (I believe it is also wheelchair accessible). I've never fished there, but I'm quite sure the stockers are 12" or smaller.

Highwater Tackle at the foot of Lonsdale Ave. in N.Van is the excellent source of info for fishing Lower Mainland.

I can speak to local trout fly fishing. There exists an active trout stocking program in BC. Many lakes local to North Vancouver are regularly stocked with 1/2 lb "catchable" trout. You can go online and see when recent stocking has occurred. These lakes get fished out pretty quickly on weekends when families come. fish all day, and take their individual 4 fish per person limit home. That being said, fish shortly after the stocking and it can be fun. You mentioned Browning Lake, near Squamish. It would be your best bet for access, and fishability from North Vancouver. I fish it lots, very easy to access with a float tube and have lots of very active days but as mentioned fish are all 1/2 lb or so. Early spring, the water is pretty cold but it was stocked last week. The other stocked lake is Rice lake, very close in North Van but no float tubes allowed so people cast from shore or dock with slamon eggs and bobbers. There are other lakes east in the Fraser Valley that are worthwhile but more traffic to get there.
3 hours east of vancouver begins access to hundreds of Lakes in the Merritt and Kamloops Area. Closest one, easy to fish is a private Pay to fish/stay lake called Corbett Lake. Typical fish size 2-5 lbs. I use #5 rods, perfect for interior lakes but a bit overkill for local lakes where a #3 would be more fun. As mentioned before, Highwater Tackle on Lonsdale Ave is a great local shop and source for gear and information. You can also do some local Salmon fishing and there are some local Charters but Vancouver Island is were you really want to be. Hope that helps

Brohm Lake on the highway to Whistler - so it's just north east of Squamish is also stocked. It's a bit off the highway and is a sizable lake.

Brohm Lake is not as easy to access with a float tube and is generally less stocked but is a quieter environment.
Up near Pemberton is Ivy lake, harder to catch fish but better size than the stocked fish in Brohm and Browning.

Yes they have really cut back on the stocking in the last few years. Even around Whistler just the valley lakes are stocked. This may be the "Native fish strategy" in action. Brohm use to have a nice population of cutthroat. Nothing large but beautiful fish. Some lakes in the Fraser Valley still have these as well.

Back