Nanaimo Winter 2013/14

I was out in neck point - fingers area this morning with many boats around . No bites no bait and no signs of action . But I was not out for too long . Nice day to be on the water . Hope others had better luck

thanks, i'm learning as I go, just have a sask lake boat so I have to watch the condition and not stray to far, but i get out there..

I was out in neck point - fingers area this morning with many boats around . No bites no bait and no signs of action . But I was not out for too long . Nice day to be on the water . Hope others had better luck

what were you out for?

thanks, i'm learning as I go, just have a sask lake boat so I have to watch the condition and not stray to far, but i get out there..

Welcome Saskboy, I came out 30 years ago and never went back .... Don't make the mistake I made when I first hit the water and end up grounded , make sure you watch your tide chart ..... LOL , by the way fish for winter springs and very soon the Thrasher Rock area will heat up, I use a Irish Cream 4" behind a green flasher, with a
4' leader on a 4 knot troll (pretty fast) .... good luck and bet you don't miss the 10' snow drifts and -40 cel , LOL . But you will miss the Ice fishing for 8lb Walleye !
Welcome

Hi Sir! Moved out from Sask. about 3 yrs ago myself. You are right; doubt if will go back... Trying to learn some salt fishin basics. Your comment on trolling 4 knots? I use 15 pound balls and faster than 2.5 knots, my balls trail out behind boat at such an angle I don't really know what depth they are at?? What equipment do you use to be able to run 4 knots?

Hi Sir! Moved out from Sask. about 3 yrs ago myself. You are right; doubt if will go back... Trying to learn some salt fishin basics. Your comment on trolling 4 knots? I use 15 pound balls and faster than 2.5 knots, my balls trail out behind boat at such an angle I don't really know what depth they are at?? What equipment do you use to be able to run 4 knots?

Hello Prairie Buoy
I don't know how deep you are fishing however here are a couple of ideas you may consider - change to braid on your riggers if you are running wire this may help somewhat. - instead of trolling against the tidal current troll with the current (if you are not already doing so). Hope this helps

h.e.h.

Welcome Saskboy, I came out 30 years ago and never went back .... Don't make the mistake I made when I first hit the water and end up grounded , make sure you watch your tide chart ..... LOL , by the way fish for winter springs and very soon the Thrasher Rock area will heat up, I use a Irish Cream 4" behind a green flasher, with a
4' leader on a 4 knot troll (pretty fast) .... good luck and bet you don't miss the 10' snow drifts and -40 cel , LOL . But you will miss the Ice fishing for 8lb Walleye !
Welcome

What time of year does thrasher heat up like for winter springs

Hey PB, welcome to the forum.:) I think that 4 knots would be for Bucktailing if that. Your probably ok at 2.5 or thereabouts. Look to get about a 45 degree angle on your rigger line app. and you should do fine. Good Luck.;) eman

What time of year does thrasher heat up like for winter springs

Depends. Obviously Later April, May and June can be red hot over there but I have fished Thrasher at this time of year and done very well for legal fish.

Out yesterday from 1100 to 1500. Fished Fingers to Brickyard and further out. Tried spoons and hootchies from 140 to 200 feet but struck out. Got 10 crabs in the traps , six legal size but had to throw them back as all females. Great day out there. Hopefully fishing will improve in the next few weeks.

Will be heading out saturday to try out the fingers. Providing the boat fires up from its winter sleep ok. Ill report back post troll.

So she didnt like it when I started her up on friday. Seized alternator screwed me. Got out on a buddies boat though. Nothin but a shaker. Ah well.

Back