If I don't want to pay the price for an Islander..... what would you buy?

redman210

So... as the title says... almost bought 4 Islanders this year at Winter Harbour... but they wouldn't honour the sale price that was posted on the dock.... so what would you buy if you wanted to get a great reel but didn't want to pay that heft tag?

I haven't used them personally, but the R3EF reels look pretty decent at a lower price point.

I started fishing with Diawa M-One UTD reels which work fine, but after I fished Islanders at a lodge I was converted...the machining, the sound, the feel of the Islanders is pretty sweet. Maybe spend the winter looking on used sites (UsedVic/FB/CL/SFBC) for Islanders at a price you're comfortable with?

if you look after your tackle then Amundson are fine been using them for years no real isssue's they are a carbon drag reel of which same as a TR3 and you know the price tag on them ..... abuse your gear then go cheap as chips ...... like the old saying a poor tradesman only blames his tools

I second the Amundson tmx5 I have 3 now and zero issues . Back the drag off all the way when not in use and give a quick rinse after every outing and will give you trouble free reels . Pulled My oldest one apart just for some maintenance but wasn’t even needed .

what ever you buy make sure you can get parts. I fix a lot of reels and not all have good product service and some none at all. I can get parts no problem for: Islander, Coast, Amundson, Diawa and Shimano. The rest can be hit or miss. bearings are not an issue as they can get ordered by size. the problem comes with drags, clutches etc.

Back