Nanaimo Winter 2013/14

We had one of our crab traps go missing. Just found out today that someone seen a boat stealing gear. Just a heads up and warning for everyone out there.

I am waiting for more details. But sounded like a 23 footer. Mine went missing from jack point. The person I talked to said he seen him pulling his traps but couldn't catch him. Just wanted to let everyone know to keep an eye out on they stuff.

that started already? was a big problem last year. We might have to sort this out ourselves, there was a pretty descriptive sign at the Brechin Ramp somebody put up I say we let him do it

Ya this was a problem last year, this is the same reason I wont leave my prawning gear soak without being close by.. In other news Saturday and Sunday are looking pretty decent for boating, will have to get out n see if I can find some winters and finish breaking in my new kicker :)

Ya this was a problem last year, this is the same reason I wont leave my prawning gear soak without being close by.. In other news Saturday and Sunday are looking pretty decent for boating, will have to get out n see if I can find some winters and finish breaking in my new kicker :)

Let us know how it goes, I am hoping to get out the weekend after this one.

I've had issues in the past off Nanaimo and now never leave sight of my floats. Last year a well-to-do ($$$) cruiser pulled up alongside my traps and started pulling them...well I guess they forgot to look around and I confronted them. Asked them if they had the same last name and phone number as me as they floats they were pulling had my info on them. The two old guys on-board gave me the usual song and dance about their traps looking the same...except there were no other traps around. My red-headed temper is not what it used to be which is a good thing as a sure wanted to do more then chat with them. I took a pic of and reported them to the RCMP (not that I expected them to do anything but...). It was a twin-screw Sea Ray, no name on it and it is a local boat.

Folks that steal traps or bait are simply cowardly thieves...if you can afford the boat then you can afford the traps and time to fish them properly. I won't do anything to them that will get me in trouble but next time their face will be plastered on forums and the launch.

yesterday I was prawning and a tugboat alerted me that my float was in his path , lucky I was close buy to grab my prawnstring and get it out of his way :) did okay prawning but I didn't see anyone trolling out front yet... must not be much winter spring action yet :p

You have to be careful of the tugs. My bud works on them and traps get caught by the log booms they are towing quite frequently.

Yup , thats why i just set them and troll around back n forth out in front while they soak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winters are around just in small schools and moving quick. Find the baits balls and work it hard should get some action. Only 1 month till the craziness starts !

I caught these in the Salish sea on the weekend :) 022.jpg G019.jpggoing to put the downriggers on the boat this week hopefully do some trolling soon , lots of tackle to tie up :)

as a long time rec prawner of the Salish Sea, I salute Jeffy for his specificity on location!
I hope that all prawners go thru the long and $ learning curve I did. It is a prerequisite to making the prawns taste optimal
altho the question may have been re the winter springs?

I caught these in the Salish sea on the weekend :) View attachment 11064 GView attachment 11065going to put the downriggers on the boat this week hopefully do some trolling soon , lots of tackle to tie up :)

Lot of bait all over the screen, patchy but visible, mounting the downriggers this week hopfully with the help a friendly fabricator (new swivel mount brackets)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone having success at the Fingers these days?

Might head over to fish this weekend and to test out our new (to us - actually a 1991) DE 176.

Cheers

Back