If I don't want to pay the price for an Islander..... what would you buy?

There are pros and cons to all reels. Mooching reels, fly reels and center pin reels are all very basic with a spool that spins on a shaft attached to the frame. Nothing like conventional reels which really vary in design. You can have different drag materials, bearings or not , different handles or what ever but if it does not fail they all work. Go with what you like but remember higher end materials cost more which explains the price differences. I really like to see product service with parts readily available for any reel I buy..... many Chinese knockoffs don't have that.

I absolutely love my Islander and other high quality reels. I remember the first time I got too use an Islander, it was so smooth like butter compared to the old plastic reels I was used to fishing. I think you get what you pay for, I definitely notice the difference in the feel of high quality reels and rods. I can’t stand the clack clack sound of a cheep reel peeling out line. I’d find a used mint condition islander and take good care of it. I like shiny things though.😁

Last edited:
For the last couple of years I've fish a R3EF reel and have been quite happy with the value in the reel. The drag may or may not be as smooth as a much more expensive Islander but that is less of an issue for me as I prefer to hold my rod the same way as when I centre pin fish the rivers with no drag whatsoever. I try to use the least amount of drag the I determine to be necessary. Yes I like the idea of supporting a local business who makes a great quality product but I also have budget constraints and couldn't justify the higher cost which was outside of that budget. The R3EF has been a good bang for my buck and hasn't let me down even when reeling in a 45 lb halibut caught while trolling.

I like the way the Islander reel stops going backwards when the fish stops pulling. In my experience with Shimano GTs when the drag is set hard enough to prevent creep, the initial force to overcome the drag lets extra line out then the fish catches up again causing an erratic whip to your rod tip from this cycle. (Pull hard, comes easy and repeat).
There are reels in between with better drags than the Shimano GT of course and I still have several of them but the Islander’s quality combined with their product support makes them hard to beat. The initial investment is significantly higher but if you’re a seasonal recreational fisherman who looks after his gear it should last a lifetime.

Edit: I started this response with the intent to recommend the Rapala Concept but it appears they are no longer being manufactured. At the <$400 price point they are a good value and there are a few around in old stock (Cabela’s) but I’d be leery of product support.

Last edited:
I like the way the Islander reel stops going backwards when the fish stops pulling. In my experience with Shimano GTs when the drag is set hard enough to prevent creep, the initial force to overcome the drag lets extra line out then the fish catches up again causing an erratic whip to your rod tip from this cycle. (Pull hard, comes easy and repeat).
There are reels in between with better drags than the Shimano GT of course and I still have several of them but the Islander’s quality combined with their product support makes them hard to beat. The initial investment is significantly higher but if you’re a seasonal recreational fisherman who looks after his gear it should last a lifetime.

Edit: I started this response with the intent to recommend the Rapala Concept but it appears they are no longer being manufactured. At the <$400 price point they are a good value and there are a few around in old stock (Cabela’s) but I’d be leery of product support.
The shimano reels really benefit from the Carbon X drag washers that are very inexpensive.

This question seems to come up a lot so I'll throw in my 2 cents again. I have fished Shimano GTs, Trophy XL QR, Amundson TMX5 and Islander MR2, MR3s. My preference ( can buy whatever one I want) is the Trophy XL QR (with the Islender spring swap and paddles) or the TMX5 for the money. I like the feel of the TMX5 but I like the free spool and left handed swapability option of the Trophy. I currently have both and they have both served me well.

The issue I have with islanders is the feel of the drag knob and finding the sweet spot AND of course the creep. I can't stand the creep on an islander.

For the money used
Shimano GT
or
Trophy when on sale

Last edited:
I would just save up for the islander if that’s what you really want. Anything else would be a compromise. It’s a one time, long term investment. Lots of lightly used islanders or new ones won in derbies come up for sale.

Do any of you recommending the R3ef reels have any experience with the DS sealed drag model?
Asking for a friend😉

I would buy used Islanders.
My Mr2 are 20 years old and still work like new, flipped for an Mr2LA (pink) for my wife and same deal, still have an MR2 mint that’s 15 plus year old used maybe 5 times,,did buy 2x MR3 when they came out and sold them because of the infamous creep, Imo pricy but well worth it, note I’ve never tried any of the other brands, except for Jackels nasty knuckle busters Hardy long stones

Ive been running tmx5's for 5years, maybe more. I love them with the paddle knobs. I find the skinny islander knobs hurt my pointer finger. ( I think im starting to get arthritis in that finger at 40) this last summer I had a screw back out on the clicker, but I reassembled and its good to go again. ill probably add some locktite before the start of the season. id buy them again

Back