Malibu 185 Pod Project

I don't have my batteries in the boat right now so can't tilt all the way down. Excuse the dirty boat I haven't cleaned it up yet. I actually think my motor is mounted a bit low as my cavitation plate is under water on plane. What's the issue with mounting tabs on your boat?

A standard tab vertical height won't fit. Can you do me a favor can you do measurement from your swim platform to the top edge of rub rail. You can always PM me. Somethings looks different with your pod. It looks way higher for some reason vs mine from pic.

A standard tab vertical height won't fit. Can you do me a favor can you do measurement from your swim platform to the top edge of rub rail. You can always PM me. Somethings looks different with your pod. It looks way higher for some reason vs mine from pic.
I think my tabs are the Bennett m80 if I remember right. Work awesome and fit fine with the pod. Maybe my pod looks different because I didn't want powder coating and it might just look different?

Attachments

• 20220506_160440.jpg
    20220506_160440.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 68
I think my tabs are the Bennett m80 if I remember right. Work awesome and fit fine with the pod. Maybe my pod looks different because I didn't want powder coating and it might just look different?

OK I am glad I checked this. I just measured and we are same exact position. I think mine might be 1/4" lower but pretty much identical. Is that 4 bladed prop or 3?

I will take a pic of mine trimmed down. On mine though I can't put all way down when on trailer its a 25 inch leg.

Yes the M80 are smaller I think they are hydraulic?

OK I am glad I checked this. I just measured and we are same exact position. I think mine might be 1/4" lower but pretty much identical. Is that 4 bladed prop or 3?

I will take a pic of mine trimmed down. On mine though I can't put all way down when on trailer its a 25 inch leg.

Yes the M80 are smaller I think they are hydraulic?
3 blade prop. I can put mine all the way down if I put the jack on the lowest position. Trailer is probably higher than yours is. Yes tabs are hydraulic. Been on for 9 years now with 0 problems.

If it means anything to you my engine cavitation plate is about a inch above the bottom of the pod , I asked why and I was told for better performance , your looks ok to me. now its gonna come down to first get tabs on and test , then take the dolphin off and test this is all really a mute point till you get the tabs on .... guessing and speculations mean nothing. IMO your boat should get up to 40 ish no problem and usually most engine I know are most happy at the 4200 to 44oo rpm range as you will "hear" the sweet spot and cruse at about 25 mph .
I know for my boat I cruise at 42000 to 43000 doing 26 mph and WOT is 5850 with 5 people and its doing 42 mph

Last edited:
If irt means anything to yo my engine is about a inch above the bottom of the pod , I asked why and I was told for better performance , your looks ok to me. now its gonna come down to first get tabs on and test , then take the dolphin off and test this is all really a mute point till you get the tabs on .... guessing and speculations mean nothing. IMO your boat should get up to 40 ish no problem and usually most engine I know are most happy at the 4200 to 44oo rpm range as you will "hear" the sweet spot and cruse at about 25 mph .
I know for my boat I cruise at 42000 to 43000 doing 26 mph and WOT is 5850 with 5 people and its doing 42 mph

It can go 40mph at WOT. Definitely not 40 knots....

Anyway tabs are next and will be shifting my batteries to center.

This exercise wasn't a waste of time anyway. Confirmed engine is in the right position and that both pods are same height and design.

Will keep tweaking things.

Cavitation plate should be visible while on plane if it’s not your too deep checking on the trailer is a good guideline but should have a look next time your out while planing. I agree with wolf get the tabs on and ditch that fin and see where your at.

So had a real run out Barkley Sound. Wow the boat is different animal. With extra pod space it feels safer. It handles different especially with swells, and following seas. Yesterday going back through canal it just smoked through waves, and didn't pound.

Performance wise I saw a jump in efficiency with adding trim tabs. After playing with them in swells and chop no way I would not have them on any of my boats.

I checked cavitation plate when running, and I am bang on.

It looks like I don't need any help from trim tabs out of hole. It planes instantly, and is no wait. I am really using trim tabs for side to side loading.

One thing I did do is move my batteries inward and it fixed boat leaning issue. Overall I am pretty happy with the project.

Last edited:
So had a real run out Barkley Sound. Wow the boat is different animal. With extra pod space it feels safer. It handles different especially with swells, and following seas. Yesterday going back through canal it just smoked through waves, and didn't pound.

Performance wise I saw a jump in efficiency with adding trim tabs. After playing with them in swells and chop no way I would not have them on any of my boats.

I checked cavitation plate when running, and I am bang on.

One thing I tested I don't need any help from trim tabs out of hole. It planes instantly, and is no wait. I am really using trim tabs for side to side loading.

One thing I did do is move my batteries inward and it fixed boat leaning issue. Overall I am pretty happy with the project.

Glad to hear the pod and repower worked out for you. I mostly use the tabs for side to side levelling as well.

I revisited this and took my boat out solo and ran some tests yesterday just to make sure with all weight shifting/trim tabs. It hit 5850 WOT at 37 knots (43mph). I looked at some performance tests and all of them indicate same thing for boats similar to mine.

Definitely the right choice losing inboard, Next stop for improvements is interior/space seating.

Back