improving kicker steering

ryanb

I have a tie bar for kicker steering and find it doesn't work that great. The kicker does not seem to deflect very far. Is lengthening the v bracket mounted to my kicker likely to improve the steering? I have attached a photo to give you an idea.

Attachments

• 20140903_161112.jpg
    20140903_161112.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 364
Seastar make something that is called a tie bar. I have never had this it cost about $400 and I have heard it works great

Off topic was your kicker a tiller that you converted to remote? Look different on the right side of the motor in the photo

Your issue is with the geometry for sure. You can either change the main bracket to a more perpendicular angle, or lengthen the v bracket on your kicker.

Lengthen the bracket on the main moving it perpendicular and forward, and/or shorten the bracket on the kicker.
kind of like the big sprocket driving the little sprocket

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep..it's DEFINITELY your geometry.....

in the pic below the kicker is moved by the steering pushrod.

works very well and the whole kit only costs 75 bucks.

trouble is...I can't remember the brand name.......think I bought it at LA Marine in Port Alberni but I'm not sure......

Rod is adjustable and you can cut it to length....snaps on and off really easy when you pull the collars back. all stainless steel....

002.jpg

Lengthen the bracket on the main moving it perpendicular and forward, and/or shorten the bracket on the kicker.
kind of like the big sprocket driving the little sprocket

If you don't want to buy something new, Canso has it right.

Yep..it's DEFINITELY your geometry.....

in the pic below the kicker is moved by the steering pushrod.

works very well and the whole kit only costs 75 bucks.

trouble is...I can't remember the brand name.......think I bought it at LA Marine in Port Alberni but I'm not sure......

Rod is adjustable and you can cut it to length....snaps on and off really easy when you pull the collars back. all stainless steel....
Same system as mine Seafever. The brand name is Stearns and I think they are available at West marine. This would suit the OP very well, but for a lot of other set ups the off-set of the kicker or length from bracket to bracket is too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Canso…….shorten the bracket on the kicker dont make it longer if you want more stroke

Man, I wish I could install the Seastar kicker cable tie bar system, but the requirements say you need 14 inches clearance from the tilt tube to side of splash well and I don't have it on my Trophy.

Back