Kicker Tie Bar - Liquid vs Mechanical

mitch184

I know it's been discussed a lot, but not quite for what I'm wondering. The setup:

-Seastar helms, FWD & AFT, w/ power assist steering
-Tournament series ram for main motor
-25 hp kicker mounted on same plane as main
-I want to be able to troll and have the kicker and main move to help with steering

Here's what I'm wondering. Most main motors turn left and right around 32°. The new kickers will turn a lot sharper at around 45° left/right. If I run a liquid tie bar setup, will this allow the kicker motor to turn the extra 13° right/left compared to the main? If I ran a smaller/bigger cylinder for the kicker would this allow it?

If not, are there any advantages to running a liquid tie bar vs a fixed tournament series tie bar? Considering the steering arms will be aligned well? I'm actually not quite sure the power assist is compatible with the liquid tie bar anyways, but was just curious.

The Seastar Cable Tie Bar system mimics your main motor turning radius. IE pretty sure it'll only turn the kicker 32 degrees. That's the way my system works anyway. Seastar steering Yamaha F250/ Yamaha HT 9.9 2020 model.

The Seastar Cable Tie Bar system mimics your main motor turning radius. IE pretty sure it'll only turn the kicker 32 degrees. That's the way my system works anyway. Seastar steering Yamaha F250/ Yamaha HT 9.9 2020 model.
I'm actually talking about putting a hydraulic cylinder on the kicker. Not using that cable setup. Seastar claims the cable setup is only good for 20hp too.

Here's what I'm wondering. Most main motors turn left and right around 32°. The new kickers will turn a lot sharper at around 45° left/right. If I run a liquid tie bar setup, will this allow the kicker motor to turn the extra 13° right/left compared to the main? If I ran a smaller/bigger cylinder for the kicker would this allow it?
I have this set up it will only turn as much as the ram lets it I had the old system in place. for when my boat was a inboard and kicker has a ram lifted the levers and just the kicker moved.
NOW i reconfigured it so main and kicker move when kicker is down . Then i lift levers and kicker while running is stationary and main is on.
The way its set up now the main motoer is like a huge rudder to assit in kicker steering .
Also I have the small ram on kicker. if you want to see it just let me know and your more then weclome to come see it .

Btw works great

Good luck wolf

I have this set up it will only turn as much as the ram lets it I had the old system in place. for when my boat was a inboard and kicker has a ram lifted the levers and just the kicker moved.
NOW i reconfigured it so main and kicker move when kicker is down . Then i lift levers and kicker while running is stationary and main is on.
The way its set up now the main motoer is like a huge rudder to assit in kicker steering .
Also I have the small ram on kicker. if you want to see it just let me know and your more then weclome to come see it .

Btw works great

Good luck wolf
Looking to have my main and kicker both hydraulic use the liquid tie bar and want to be able to have the kicker not move while it is up. Figured i need one more valve to stop the kicker fluid loop when using the tie bar. Sounds like this is what you have. Would you mind sharing some pictures?

Thanks
-Russ

Back