It's only money right??? Remote steering or Auto pilot?

Hot-Streak

What is the best value for the money?

Last summer as happens I did some solo fishing during the height of Chinook season. My current setup has a 6hp kicker tied by steering bar to my main and I steer by the wheel at the front. I did get a steering bar that lets me detach the bar quickly and I can then steer by tiller off the kicker... why live like a savage?

I was looking up remote steering for my 18ft Aluminum (no hydraulic, just cable steering) and then happened up on the Lowrance "autopilot".

Cost wise intellisteer is about $1500 and gives me the basics of steering via remote BUT as a google search the full auto pilot popped up that would let me set course and routes on my plotter.... but cost would be $2500 (with the steering kit and extra for remote)

QUESTION - Who has the auto pilot? Have you used it much? did you find it was worth the extra money? Also anyone here have good or bad things to say about intellisteer cable remote system?

intellisteer type S or Type T (not sure which one I would need)

Navco cable steer pack and the remote upgrade https://harbourchandler.ca/lowrance-wr10-wireless-autopilot-remote/

I have been running an intellisteer cable remote for over ten years.
I think it is the old model, I have replaced the steering cable twice and batteries in the remote, that's it.
Not the fastest turn rate, but the thing just works.
I would like the hook it to an autopilot, it seems to be capable, but I also don't want to mess around with something that has never let me down.
24' aluminum with big old Yamaha 9.9

I have been running an intellisteer cable remote for over ten years.
I think it is the old model, I have replaced the steering cable twice and batteries in the remote, that's it.
Not the fastest turn rate, but the thing just works.
I would like the hook it to an autopilot, it seems to be capable, but I also don't want to mess around with something that has never let me down.
24' aluminum with big old Yamaha 9.9
Do you know the difference between the T and S? Tilt and Straight model?

I have their outboard hydraulic steering autopilot, and a second Lowrance hds I mount near the stern to steer (I’d Iike the remote but don’t need it since I have a small dance floor.) Use it all the time, solo and with other people.
Thanks for the reply. Do you use the autopilot for cruising to the fishing location or just when trolling? I could see myself using it even with a fishing buddy so we could both work gear at the back.

I have this Garmin kicker auto pilot
Reactor™ 40 Kicker Autopilot
absolutely love it use it for trolling in wind waves and current boat stays on coarse no matter how slow your going.

I have Intellisteer. I think it’s H. My main and kicker are attached with the seastar kicker tie bar. The Intellisteer is ok and lets you steer away from the pack or sit in the back and drive Solo using the remote. However, if I was gonna do it over I’d go autopilot. You have more flexibility with autopilot. You can steer it or just set a course. You got the best of both worlds. The only thing about autopilot is your battery needs more energy as its likely working more frequently than Intellisteer. If you find a $2500 all in Autopilot let me know cause I’ll buy one. Most of my research at least with Garmin is $4K plus.

I have the Lowrance autopilot with remote and it has changed the way I fish. As a solo fisher or if I’m out with my young son, it enables me to not worry about the heading of the boat and focus on getting gear out or fighting a fish instead of where I’m going. Absolute game changer. 100% recommend. I don’t touch my steering wheel the entire time I’m fishing.

Do you know the difference between the T and S? Tilt and Straight model?
Sorry I don't.
I have I/O volvo diesel, so the the intellisteer is only for the 9.9 kicker. It is mounted in the engine compartment.
It is the only things that steers the kicker, so it's used when I'm solo or with 5 at Chum Derby.
Everyone has to know and agree as to the two places that the remote ever gets put down.
I do have a spare, in case of dead battery or someone does not abide by the agreement.
I put the remote into a small waterproof phone case that has a lanyard you can put around your neck.

I have Intellisteer. I think it’s H. My main and kicker are attached with the seastar kicker tie bar. The Intellisteer is ok and lets you steer away from the pack or sit in the back and drive Solo using the remote. However, if I was gonna do it over I’d go autopilot. You have more flexibility with autopilot. You can steer it or just set a course. You got the best of both worlds. The only thing about autopilot is your battery needs more energy as its likely working more frequently than Intellisteer. If you find a $2500 all in Autopilot let me know cause I’ll buy one. Most of my research at least with Garmin is $4K plus.
If you look at the link I posted Harbour Chandler has the Outboard autopilot for about 2K then the bluetooth remote attachment is another 500. System seems easy enough for self install (as I would be doing the cable steering package). I already have the HDS Carbon that works with it. The system will work with some SIMRAD, LOWRANCE models. Just check youtube on Outboard autopilot install or demo vids

Thanks everyone for all the feedback

.... but damn it! Not one person saying "don't do it, its NOT worth it... save your money and buy your wife a gucci purse instead!"

With all these raves for the Autopilot vs the Intelli steer its going to be very hard NOT to buy the outboard pilot.... Anyone here know how to get a discount at Harbour Chandler? hahaha

These things ever go on sale?

Back