Kicker remote control

TheNootkaRose

Hello hello,

I've all read previous threads on this - looking for an opinion on a cost-effective option for my peticular need.
21 LOA aluminum pilot house, with only one helm hydraulic only on Yammy 225.

Getting a new 9.9HT kicker, so thought I would look at option for remote controling it, because single handed fishing is tough without it because the helm is way forward in a cabin.

I'm thinking of this: Keep the 225 on its own main hydraulic helm - I never fish with the main. Get a remote kicker controller (recommendations?) that will control kicker steering with a remote around my neck/ when fishing, and when I'm aft and fishing I can always control the throtle on the tiller. This controller will need to have auto helm / direction hold.

What product do you recommned? I feel I don't need a large or expensive unit that ties to my main hydraulic helm and uses a tie bar.

Just need something to go left/right/course hold on the kicker.

Thanks!

just lock the kicker straight and use the powered off main to steer like a giant rudder.
you can use a trollmaster for kicker throttle control.

just lock the kicker straight and use the powered off main to steer like a giant rudder.
you can use a trollmaster for kicker throttle control.

Thanks, but that wont work for my situation - I’ve been doing that last two years and it’s a **** show when fishing alone.

The helm is forward in a cabin and I want to avoid going in there with rods while working a fish etc.

The Trollmaster is a good call though!

I have trollmaster remote throttle and Lowrance autopilot for the kicker and main for directional control using a Lowrance hds at the stern, you can buy a remote as well. Cost are probably $2500-5000 but you also get autopilot for your big motor and a second screen for the stern if you go that route. I landed a nice spring in the 20’s Saturday and a smaller around 10lb both solo. Also nice on rainy slow days to sit at the helm and stay manual with the regular throttle/steering, and for windy current/kill the kicker and keep fishing with the main but loose the throttle remote. Panther and Intellesteer are made/owned by the same company as trollmaster and may have a good solution.

Yes, right on. I don’t have space or need for a second screen, but the Lowrance Hydrolic pilot and the remote do look nice, just pricy.

Do you keep your kicker bar-linked all the time or do you link them up when needed?

He needs directional control as well. You can have throttle control all you want but fishing solo your still going to be going in circles. What about a tiller pilot? They are used all the time with the sailing crowd?

He needs directional control as well. You can have throttle control all you want but fishing solo your still going to be going in circles. What about a tiller pilot? They are used all the time with the sailing crowd?
Thanks, John haven’t considered it but that’s a good shout. I’m going to google that now.

Thanks, I don’t think it’s bad, but I believe it lacks course/heading hold which I need. Seems that the motors go out in about 3-4 years depending on use, but to me the no course hold would be the drawback.

In my case I’d need the left/right remote steering, and the heading hold.

I have trollmaster remote throttle and Lowrance autopilot for the kicker and main for directional control using a Lowrance hds at the stern, you can buy a remote as well. Cost are probably $2500-5000 but you also get autopilot for your big motor and a second screen for the stern if you go that route. I landed a nice spring in the 20’s Saturday and a smaller around 10lb both solo. Also nice on rainy slow days to sit at the helm and stay manual with the regular throttle/steering, and for windy current/kill the kicker and keep fishing with the main but loose the throttle remote. Panther and Intellesteer are made/owned by the same company as trollmaster and may have a good solution.
I have just installed a Trollmaster and really like the throttle control it gives you. I also installed a second hydraulic helm in rear and use a tie bar from the main to the kicker. Easily fish a 20’ boat solo but I don’t have the ability to keep a heading. I have no intention of keeping this boat so this is as far as I am going with this one.

In my last boat, I had a similar set up to kaelc but I only had the one screen up front. The autopilot part was a game changer fishing solo in a 23’ boat.

My next/last boat I will install the Lowrance hydraulic Autopilot with wireless remote and possibly a Trollmaster for throttle control.

I don’t think an inexpensive solution exists that will hold a heading. Lots of different options for just steering but most incorporate an electric motor on the kicker side that I am not a big fan of.

I’d ad a second hydraulic helm at the back, and ad an autopilot, if you feel you need it. Use a tie bar from the main to the kicker. You’ll have the main as a rudder. Depending on your back layout, I’d mount it in the middle between your riggers. This way you can make course adjustments as you work the riggers. I’d also ad a remote 703 control near the rear helm. Ship Happens, knows a lot about these set ups. I’d PM him

I have just installed a Trollmaster and really like the throttle control it gives you. I also installed a second hydraulic helm in rear and use a tie bar from the main to the kicker. Easily fish a 20’ boat solo but I don’t have the ability to keep a heading. I have no intention of keeping this boat so this is as far as I am going with this one.

In my last boat, I had a similar set up to kaelc but I only had the one screen up front. The autopilot part was a game changer fishing solo in a 23’ boat.

My next/last boat I will install the Lowrance hydraulic Autopilot with wireless remote and possibly a Trollmaster for throttle control.

I don’t think an inexpensive solution exists that will hold a heading. Lots of different options for just steering but most incorporate an electric motor on the kicker side that I am not a big fan of.
Yeah, roger that. I think I'm coming to grips with the fact that if I need course hold / and steering and longevity, it's gonna have to be the proper full hydraulic auto from the helm.

Yeah. I personally think it’s tiller, rear hydraulic steering or autopilot. Tiller is the cheapest. The other two are a toss up, depending if you can get used or close out. Right now good deals can be had on Lowrance since they launch a new version.
Thanks @kaelc for thinking it through with me. I think I'm coming to this exact conclusion. I'll look into Lowrance - that's my plotter/sonar right now.

Thanks to everyone for their answers - sometimes that's just what's needed to think it through with everyone's input. It looks as if I might have to throw another thousand or two in the hole and get the Lowrance auto helm as I'd like to keep the boat for a decade. I'll still look into the Autotiller from Raymarine, because that seems like an easy $1000 solution if I'm able to rig it without issues.

Back