French Creek **** Show

Typical summer day at French Creek launch. No one from Marina taking control. Video missed extra excitement when a barge ties up to load or fishing troller decides to wash/repair his boat at the launch. Definitely not a place to take your kids unless to want them to learn some new swear words.

Mid-summer days at the boat launch with all the once a year boaters flailing around are way more bareable when someone takes charge and gets the boats and trailers lined up. There's one local launch I choose in summer because of this, even though they charge more than the others. The volunteers from the yacht club do a good job, they even make a point of telling people to get their boats unstrapped and generally organized before pulling onto the ramp.

Typical summer day at French Creek launch. No one from Marina taking control. Video missed extra excitement when a barge ties up to load or fishing troller decides to wash/repair his boat at the launch. Definitely not a place to take your kids unless to want them to learn some new swear words.
Sounds like Sunset marina, W Van

I stopped in there, heading south, to get gas and ice. There was a guy, with a Striper, tied the fuel dock. Fuel dock attendant told me that he mis-took his gimbal rod holder for his fuel fill. He pumped his bilge with 150 litres of fuel. He was nowhere to be found, but left his wife sitting on the boat

3 crazy days I witnessed this year at Prestige Sooke.

1/ 1 day looked similar to that video. I tied off at the cleaning dock well away from everyone and let it all clear up for a while.

2/ Got to the dock to launch and found a boat 1/2 jack knifed while launching, Truck engine running and keys locked in truck. Bit of a delay while he waited for a tow truck to resolve. Luckily we were able to launch around him. Never seen this problem before but take my keys out when launching now. LOL

3/ 1 fellow in boat drives boat on to trailer 2nd fellow attaches winch to boat but does not lock the winch or add safety so when he starts to drive out the winch handle starts spinning and boat heads back to sea. He stopped and figured it out but next thing I see he is waist deep in water in his jeans and winching boat back on.

#2 and #3 I felt very bad for as they were very nice guys. I spoke the them both and wanted to help but nothing I could do. Just had some bad luck and missed a step.
Hopefully no one from this website. No names were named ; )

that whole video is just like here in Kelowna with Alberta and other tourists who think because you own a boat you must know how to use it! Always a gong show watching moron after moron…

Just shows how much everyone needs to take an actual boating course! And then have some real life testing done to prove they can operate a water craft safely and appropriately.

I stopped in there, heading south, to get gas and ice. There was a guy, with a Striper, tied the fuel dock. Fuel dock attendant told me that he mis-took his gimbal rod holder for his fuel fill. He pumped his bilge with 150 litres of fuel. He was nowhere to be found, but left his wife sitting on the boat
The attendant allowed her to board the boat after that… not cool have heard of a similar situation where the fill hose was disconnected and the owner didn’t notice until there was a few hundred liters in the bilge.

3 crazy days I witnessed this year at Prestige Sooke.

1/ 1 day looked similar to that video. I tied off at the cleaning dock well away from everyone and let it all clear up for a while.

2/ Got to the dock to launch and found a boat 1/2 jack knifed while launching, Truck engine running and keys locked in truck. Bit of a delay while he waited for a tow truck to resolve. Luckily we were able to launch around him. Never seen this problem before but take my keys out when launching now. LOL

3/ 1 fellow in boat drives boat on to trailer 2nd fellow attaches winch to boat but does not lock the winch or add safety so when he starts to drive out the winch handle starts spinning and boat heads back to sea. He stopped and figured it out but next thing I see he is waist deep in water in his jeans and winching boat back on.

#2 and #3 I felt very bad for as they were very nice guys. I spoke the them both and wanted to help but nothing I could do. Just had some bad luck and missed a step.
Hopefully no one from this website. No names were named ; )
Lol - never had it happen to me, but paranoia has always forced me to put windows down when launching, always! Also doubles to increase my awareness and be able to listen to anything that arises (kids running behind boat, jackass drivers in vehicles, and my favourite, kayakers cutting in behind boat being backed down like they own the whole damn ramp).

Lol - never had it happen to me, but paranoia has always forced me to put windows down when launching, always! Also doubles to increase my awareness and be able to listen to anything that arises (kids running behind boat, jackass drivers in vehicles, and my favourite, kayakers cutting in behind boat being backed down like they own the whole damn ramp).
I do the same thing for those reasons too. Also have a wheel block on a rope that has a loop on the end. I throw under the front tire and the loop on the running board and just drive away and the wheel block drags along. I seen a few rigs roll into the deep.

Lol - never had it happen to me, but paranoia has always forced me to put windows down when launching, always! Also doubles to increase my awareness and be able to listen to anything that arises.
My practice too when backing a trailer, including backing boat into carport at home. Music off so I can concentrate, windows down so I can hear anything untoward.

I do the same thing for those reasons too. Also have a wheel block on a rope that has a loop on the end. I throw under the front tire and the loop on the running board and just drive away and the wheel block drags along. I seen a few rigs roll into the deep.
That wheel chock idea is genius

Back