French Creek concerns

Been putting mine off of the same area, they were 100% pulled, zero bait and zero crab and rope was a mess. Report this guy to DFO

Unfortunately DFO can't charge for stolen traps as theft is a criminal code offense and falls outside their authorities best they could do is if seeing them pull the traps charge for fishing unlabeled or wrong labelled traps/too many traps seize and give back to rightful owner.

Interesting I have friends in DFO on the island and they said they couldn't charge for theft either just fishing unmarked gear, maybe they can take the information and forward the file to the RCMP or charge for interfering with a lawful fishery.

Interesting I have friends in DFO on the island and they said they couldn't charge for theft either just fishing unmarked gear, maybe they can take the information and forward the file to the RCMP or charge for interfering with a lawful fishery.
@CRGreg you seem well versed in this, can DFO charge for theft or is that a record and pass info off to RCMP matter

I hope someone catches him red handed and doles out some justice

Nope. People will post on forum and Facebook assuming it will be fixed. Social media (unfortunately does nothing) is great but this issue still remains how many people simply don't call anything in. This comes up at are SFAC meeting in Area 17 with comments from CO's.

The detachment can't respond to everything. The more complaints about a problem the better. It all gets entered in, and takes minutes to do.

BTW I hope you called this in, and a bunch of you should do it. More complaints more likely a response.

@CRGreg you seem well versed in this, can DFO charge for theft or is that a record and pass info off to RCMP matter
In British Columbia, only a crown prosecutor can approve charges.
Peace Officers, including DFO officers, submit a Report to Crown Counsel, which outlines the evidence and the charges being recommended.
I cannot remember off the top of my head if DFO officers can recommend charges for theft and other Criminal Code offences, or just Fisheries Act offences.
Many times, I see RCMP and DFO officers in a boat together, I assume it is for handling both CC and FA offences, through the different forces.

Fishery Officers are designated Peace Officers under the Criminal Code while undertaking their duties. Yes , in theory, a Fishery Officer can put forward Theft charges to Crown. In reality it is not within DFO's mandate and would be best handled by the RCMP or Police of Jurisdiction

In British Columbia, only a crown prosecutor can approve charges.
Peace Officers, including DFO officers, submit a Report to Crown Counsel, which outlines the evidence and the charges being recommended.
I cannot remember off the top of my head if DFO officers can recommend charges for theft and other Criminal Code offences, or just Fisheries Act offences.
Many times, I see RCMP and DFO officers in a boat together, I assume it is for handling both CC and FA offences, through the different forces.
Thank you for clarifying. I find it a little annoying when a person says they are going to file criminal charges against someone. it appears they learned of this by watching too many American reality cop shows. Police can investigate, detain but only recommend charges.

You can do a private prosecution, but they are pretty rare and you don't win friends or influence through such manoeuvres.

It’s hard to believe that a guy with the resources to run a decent boat that costs some money has the lack of morals to go and rip off another guys crab pots. What kind of a POS does that?

Back