ECVI Nanoose, French Creek Report

That is some kinda first post!!! Awesome wife is right!! Great job guys!!

Pretty nice afternoon...out the front of schooner.... 4hrs a pile of cohoes and a 15lb spring.... Pretty amazing fishery this year..... :)

Yesterday my wife and I was off Winchelsea in the afternoon.

She likes to jig for bottomfish and I promised her a bottomfish/jig only trip. We weren't even fishing for salmon.

About 4:30 pm we were fishing close to the outside of the island in the part where you can get a small boat through the island at high tide.
We had very small jigs on with small hooks because we were trying to get Kelp Greenling...and they have tiny mouths so you need tiny hooks.
We were in about 30ft of water.

My wife gets a funny hit and the line goes out sideways.....she starts reeling in and notices it's a pretty big fish. (Chinook salmon)

After about 15 minutes of playing it, she gets it to within about 8ft of the boat.

Having caught a 25 up at FC recently, I can pretty well eyeball the size and weight of the one she has on.

In my guesstimate it was pushing at least 30lb. because it was much bigger than my 25.

She got it even closer to within about 5ft of the boat but it was on "RedBull" and was zipping around all over the place whenever it got the chance.

And then......it took off sideways with a powerful thrust and the tiny hook let go..........

Just posted this to confirm that...yes...there are some biggies out there right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday my wife and I was off Winchelsea in the afternoon.

She likes to jig for bottomfish and I promised her a bottomfish/jig only trip. We weren't even fishing for salmon.

About 4:30 pm we were fishing close to the outside of the island in the part where you can get a small boat through the island at high tide.
We had very small jigs on with small hooks because we were trying to get Kelp Greenling...and they have tiny mouths so you need tiny hooks.
We were in about 30ft of water.

My wife gets a funny hit and the line goes out sideways.....she starts reeling in and notices it's a pretty big fish. (Chinook salmon)

After about 15 minutes of playing it, she gets it to within about 8ft of the boat.

Having caught a 25 up at FC recently, I can pretty well eyeball the size and weight of the one she has on.

In my guesstimate it was pushing at least 30lb. because it was much bigger than my 25.

She got it even closer to within about 5ft of the boat but it was on "RedBull" and was zipping around all over the place whenever it got the chance.

And then......it took off sideways with a powerful thrust and the tiny hook let go..........

Just posted this to confirm that...yes...there are some biggies out there right now.

U would have been the boat we saw jigging then...... :) always nice to get a surprise when jigging.... :)

Dan that is a pig! Great fish

I wrapped up my ECVI season yesterday with a local legend who's been fishing the areas waters for over half a century. Howie showed me the ropes on salmon fishing when I was just a young gun without a boat. Now ten years later I was lucky enough to return the favour and run gear for him on his boat. Lots of fish still out there with 15-20 hookups in three hours of fishing. Most of those were coho with a nice ratio of hatch to 6 lbs and springs to 20 lbs.

In his 90's and he landed this nice spring

Here are a few more pics from the weekend

Bushy landing a solo slab

Klob and the Mrs' out in the new rig

The first Lamprey i've seen on a spring in the saltwater. It was attached to the 30.

Saturdays fish

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome guys...good work to all of you....
great stuff Kelly on putting the old guy into some fish

Good to see the ECVI and sunshine coast showing as strong as it is...it has been too long...

Dan that is a pig! Great fish

I wrapped up my ECVI season yesterday with a local legend who's been fishing the areas waters for over half a century. Howie showed me the ropes on salmon fishing when I was just a young gun without a boat. Now ten years later I was lucky enough to return the favour and run gear for him on his boat. Lots of fish still out there with 15-20 hookups in three hours of fishing. Most of those were coho with a nice ratio of hatch to 6 lbs and springs to 20 lbs.

In his 90's and he landed this nice spring

Here are a few more pics from the weekend

Bushy landing a solo slab

Klob and the Mrs' out in the new rig

The first Lamprey i've seen on a spring in the saltwater. It was attached to the 30.

Saturdays fish

Ha!! My boat was owned by Howie at one time. He called it the "Golly Gee" when he owned it.

It's a tank still

Got a nice 28 out off young pt this morning. Green needle fish hootchie. 110ft

Attachments

• 20130617_125944.jpg
    20130617_125944.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 436
Nice report Kelly ! love seeing the old fella Bushy gettin it done all by him self with a great slab too boot! Nice to see you returning the favor to someone who got you going in the begining..returning the favor that's AWESOME!

Hey Kelly, glad you got the old timer some fish. I knew you were heading to Sangster and I text Bushy and he was heading out solo and I told him about the fish you got the day before so off to Sangster he went. He had a great day releasing several coho and smaller springs and limiting out on a 24 and 27. The whole time I was at home texting both of you and kicking myself for not being out there, still no salmon on my licence. Good luck on the West Coast, hope it produces as well as this side for you..........BRS

Got out last night for the night bite at the Winchelsea's. Landed an 8 and a 12, both on green and white spoon. It was definitely a bit slower last night. Not nearly as many shakers.

Went out for the afternoon and evening tides yesterday. Fished tip of Mistaken Ballenas then Gerald. Fishing seems to have slowed a little in the area. I could not keep the shakers off. Tried my usual anchovy setup with no luck tried green white coyote kitchen sink spoon and cop car still no bites. Rigged up a hootchie with a 46" leader green glow flasher than i finally nailed a nice 12LB Hatch spring on the outside of Gerald. I did not see any other nets out last night. Going to try for the evening tide tonight. I also snapped a brand new Shimano Technium rod just by pulling it off the Downrigger clip.

Just curious for all you guys fishing Lasquiti / Epsom / Texada area. Have any of you picked up live bait from Secret Cove and given it a shot? Or is everyone running the typical gear?

Back