What's Up With Port Hardy??!!

Sharphooks

hello, Gents

I just returned from a seven day expedition to Port Hardy. I tent camped the entire trip, setting up camp in multiple spots on both sides of the Strait. It was my second trip there in the last three years and I learned quite a bit.

Unfortunately, the greatest chunks of fishing knowledge come hand in hand with successful fishing and for the second trip in a row to Port Hardy, that wasn't necessarily the way it went down.

The first night, I got the boat launched at 7 P.M, went out to the first set of islands past Duvall, set up my tent, let the dog do her business, then went out to the Gordons and got about one hour of fishing in on the last of the flood tide.

Result? Two big springs my first 15 minutes of fishing, both of them mid to upper twenties, nice big fat healthy specimens we all love so dearly.

Hah, I said to myself--it's good to be back--and based on what just happened, it's going to be a fantastic trip!

So what did I do? I shook them both off my gear at the boat and let them swim away, convinced there'd be lots more where they came from...... Not!

Long story short, I burned multiple tanks of gas, covered many miles of coast line, risked my skinny arse in huge water and fierce winds in a very small boat all the way up to the Southgate Group and down to Browning and everywhere inbetween, all for one more spring (which this time, I mercilessly beat over the head). Yes, boat-loads of rockfish and ling cod but that wasn't what I went to Port Hardy for.

Side bar--I fished Uke last August, Bamfield this past June. If I'd pulled into a small fleet of 5 to 10 boats during a tide change in that part of the world, I would have seen multiple boats with net in hand.

Not at Port Hardy. Every time I went through Duvall or off the end of the Gordons during a nice ***y tide change, all I saw were boat loads of dour-faced people clutching coffee and looking like they weren't having too much fun. Not a net in hand for the whole fleet. In fact, in seven days of fishing I saw one boat fighting a fish. The only other springs I saw were the ones I caught

And back at the dock to re-fuel, the only fish I saw being cleaned had spines or were big and flat. Nothing silver in sight!

So, this all leads up to my hook --What's up with Port Hardy?!!?

If I had fished Uke and Bamfield as hard as I just fished Port Hardy last week, I'm convinced I would have shook hands with at least 15 to 30 springs. Find the bait and you find the fish -- that worked like a charm in Bamfield. That didn't work at Port Hardy.

Case in point--I just bit the bullet and installed a 1 Kw transducer the size of a suitcase in my boat and attached it to a high-end Furuno color sounder. When there was bait around, I could see it like it was in my hand. But far as I could tell, the only things eating it were rockfish and ling cod.

I'd really be interested to hear a Port Hardy Insider's perspective. Maybe something like:

Welcome to the club, it's been a crumby year; or,

You're just not looking in the right places; there are springs around and fishing has been good but they are in very specific spots and if you're not fishing them, you won't catch one; or,

You got lucky with the fish you did catch; shut up and feel contented. Or:

Port Hardy just isn't one of Van Isle's best places to consistently catch springs.... maybe it was in year's past but it's dropped off, just like Campbell River and Desolation Sound and lots of other places and you'd be better off on the West Coast side

Any one out there care to comment?

I ain't whining--I just want to make sense of all the effort I invested for the slim compensation I got back in return. All part of the learning thing, I guess.

Thanks for hearing me out

Dullhooks

From the Sooke thread today

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Back from Hardy, Man what a great trip. 10 springs and 2 Halis. Lost more fish then I want to think about due to weather and one inexperienced fishing partner and a father who is well....Not what he used to be when it comes to the battle at hand. We were into over 30 springs. All between 17-29 pounds. Now its time to start pounding it out in Sooke again.

Wolf I will decide after this long weekend if you get your .25 cents or not. Should be on the water for sat and monday in the prime time. Hope this moon phase doesent throw things off much.

Will throw up some pics of the hardy trip soon.

-Steve

Wow--I've had suspicions all along that I might be a Scissorbill--now I have proof!

Story of my life--looking for love in all the wrong places...

Dullhooks

quote:Originally posted by sharphooks

Story of my life--looking for love in all the wrong places...

Dullhooks

:D:D .... No experience is a bad one, they are all learning ones.

Beleive he was with a local. Deffinately helps when new to an area. Think he was only up for 2 days

Serengetti should be able to give you some feed back on what kind of a year it's been.

Been great fishing here, a little rough water , but good fishing. Sorry to hear you had a bad trip here.

In my opinion port hardy seems like a place that might take more then a few days of fishing to learn the tricks. We spent 3 hours trolling without a bit only to drop the great down 25 ft deeper and began to get hits one after another. Its a strange place, and knowing the reefs and holes where bait holds helps alot. Also what to use. I was stunned when I saw the bait we were using. 2" chovies trying to imitate needlefish. I asked why they dident run big herring for the bigger slabs. Nope needle fish and only needle fish. So say you were running bigger bait then neccsary probably going to have poor luck.

-Steve

Just returned from Rivers passing through Hardy. Everybody i talked to said fishing sucks. One guy who has been going there for 12 years said it was his worst year ever. Some guys were picking up and heading for Gold R and Winter harbour.

Had good days sun and today, woudnt say it sucks, would say its not as easy to get on yhem as it has been in yhe past few years, but if people are going to the same place day after day getting poor results, cant feel to sorry for them, got to be a fisherman now and again, and find fish!!!

was there sat and sunday. not slow but definitely not hot by any means. lost a hog, landed a double header 21 and 23 lbs then landed a 25 lbs. and lost 3 others in the 20's. lots of shakers and pinks. all at duval (spelling?)

heard the quatsino derby couldve been won by any size spring brought in on sunday? i guess it was dead? dont know how it ended but oh well

hi guys any locals looking to make a few dollars wanna fish a few days around hardy or mcneil got a 27 foot explorer with all the goodies just need so local experience as i know not one spot to try for a fish in those parts of the island any info is appreciated greatly thanx the slayer.....

Back