Korsch's Latest Report Vancouver Area

Dogbreath

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: August 8th/2006.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

It has been a while since my last report, but frankly it has been because there hasn't been much positive news to report. Fishing remained extremely slow through much of July, though we did have a short (week long) flurry of activity at Hole in the Wall where lots of prime "red peahead" Chinook in the 15 to 25 lb range showed up. Unfortunately the fish were really only there for 5 or 6 days, and they seemed to move out as soon as the weekend arrived. Porteau Cove was also a disappointment, as all the Chinook seem to be holding inside the closed area so only the odd fish was hit up there.

The West Vancouver Coho fishery also remained extremely "spotty", as I think most of the Coho we usually target during July were able to migrate upriver in late June and early July due to the relatively high water levels in the Capilano River at that time (the hatchery was packed full). This past week we are finally seeing some more schools of Coho arriving, but catches have remained low, as the fish are holding in tight to shore most of the time. It may be a good time to go back to the "old ways" and try cutplugging in the shallow water (less than 20 feet deep). They are also in the "rip" on the East side of the marker, so anchoring in the shallows and deploying cutplugs on the flooding tide could be the ticket here as well. Remember...in the late 80's, that was THE way to get these Coho on a hook!

The Sockeye are also on their way, and test catches in Johnstone St. and Pt. Renfrew continue to increase. The first few Sockeye have been taken locally by some associates over the past few days, but I wouldn't really say the fishery has started yet. This will change in the next few days (possibly even in the next couple), as the schools that have been passing through the approach waters arrive. I'd say we should be into decent numbers by this upcoming weekend (if not before), and next week should provide some great fishing! While I've predicted we will get shut by the night of Aug. 20th, this is just my guess as to when it happens. It is entirely possible we will still remain open through until the night of the 27th since the runs are all a few days late. The closure would be to try and protect late run Sockeye, so if they are also tracking later than usual, DFO may give us another week. It sure would be nice to see since the saltwater recreational fishery catches such a small percentage of thee Sockeye run (somewhere in the order of 1/100 of 1% of the overall run), that we are completely insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Realistically, political wrangling with other user groups is the only reason we get closed anyway - it has absolutely nothing at all to do with conservation no matter what anyone says. Let's hope we see a bit of a change in the way things are run this year (I always have faint hope.........).

Remember, when targeting Sockeye, you need to run lots of flashers to create the illusion of a school behind your boat. Make up some dummy flashers (a flasher attached to your able by a short "tag" line of 3 to 6 feet, and NO lure behind the flasher). Once you get some Sockeye following your "school", the action should start. When you get a hit, keep trolling, and keep as much gear in the water as possible in order to retain those following Sockeye. You will also likely see large schools of fish on the sounder. Sockeye schools are not as dense as a typical bait school, and I often describe the pattern as looking like "woven placemats". When done properly, you can often sustain hot action for quite some time. The terminal tackle is the usual small pink hootchies.

As we get into September, it will be time to start targeting those large Chinook off the mouth of the Capilano River. I usually consider the peak of that run to be from the 15th of September until the 15th of October, but the last couple years, it has started in the first week or so of September. The beauty of those earlier dates is that the crowds are usually significantly less.

If you are interested in booking a charter, I am almost completely booked up through the end of August. I do have 3 or 4 days still available in the last week of the month, and if we do remain open for Sockeye the fishing should be red hot at that time. Even if we close for Sockeye, that is the time to start targeting the first of those large Fraser Chinook.

In addition, I already have several bookings for the late Chinook fishery (it is now our "BEST" fishery of the year). I will get fully booked for this fishery as well, and likely most of the best dates will get tied up in the next week or two. Typically the run peaks around the first of October, and I'll be doing charters strictly by the tides as I did last fall. These fish only hit on the flooding tides, so charters will start at low slack, end at the high slack, and be as long as the tide is. Booking charters this way will insure my parties will be out fishing whenever the best bite occurs.........I really hate to miss the bite because was running back and forth from the marina. This means a 7 or 8 hour charter will be the norm when the tide occurs mid-day, but there will be a number of days where a 5 hour morning or evening charter will occur. If you wish to book something during this fishery it is best you contact me ASAP, as I already have about 1/2 the days in the last week of September, and first week of October tied up. My next newsletter will provide the remaining dates/times I have available. I'll try to get it out in a couple weeks or so..........maybe with the news of an extension to the Sockeye fishery!!!!

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com

A good report which factually accounts for local fishing. Probably one of the best reports written locally--if not the best. He calls it like it is.

Tight lines Everyone.

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: August 8th/2006.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

It has been a while since my last report, but frankly it has been because there hasn't been much positive news to report. Fishing remained extremely slow through much of July, though we did have a short (week long) flurry of activity at Hole in the Wall where lots of prime "red peahead" Chinook in the 15 to 25 lb range showed up. Unfortunately the fish were really only there for 5 or 6 days, and they seemed to move out as soon as the weekend arrived. Porteau Cove was also a disappointment, as all the Chinook seem to be holding inside the closed area so only the odd fish was hit up there.

The West Vancouver Coho fishery also remained extremely "spotty", as I think most of the Coho we usually target during July were able to migrate upriver in late June and early July due to the relatively high water levels in the Capilano River at that time (the hatchery was packed full). This past week we are finally seeing some more schools of Coho arriving, but catches have remained low, as the fish are holding in tight to shore most of the time. It may be a good time to go back to the "old ways" and try cutplugging in the shallow water (less than 20 feet deep). They are also in the "rip" on the East side of the marker, so anchoring in the shallows and deploying cutplugs on the flooding tide could be the ticket here as well. Remember...in the late 80's, that was THE way to get these Coho on a hook!

The Sockeye are also on their way, and test catches in Johnstone St. and Pt. Renfrew continue to increase. The first few Sockeye have been taken locally by some associates over the past few days, but I wouldn't really say the fishery has started yet. This will change in the next few days (possibly even in the next couple), as the schools that have been passing through the approach waters arrive. I'd say we should be into decent numbers by this upcoming weekend (if not before), and next week should provide some great fishing! While I've predicted we will get shut by the night of Aug. 20th, this is just my guess as to when it happens. It is entirely possible we will still remain open through until the night of the 27th since the runs are all a few days late. The closure would be to try and protect late run Sockeye, so if they are also tracking later than usual, DFO may give us another week. It sure would be nice to see since the saltwater recreational fishery catches such a small percentage of thee Sockeye run (somewhere in the order of 1/100 of 1% of the overall run), that we are completely insignificant in the overall scheme of things. Realistically, political wrangling with other user groups is the only reason we get closed anyway - it has absolutely nothing at all to do with conservation no matter what anyone says. Let's hope we see a bit of a change in the way things are run this year (I always have faint hope.........).

Remember, when targeting Sockeye, you need to run lots of flashers to create the illusion of a school behind your boat. Make up some dummy flashers (a flasher attached to your able by a short "tag" line of 3 to 6 feet, and NO lure behind the flasher). Once you get some Sockeye following your "school", the action should start. When you get a hit, keep trolling, and keep as much gear in the water as possible in order to retain those following Sockeye. You will also likely see large schools of fish on the sounder. Sockeye schools are not as dense as a typical bait school, and I often describe the pattern as looking like "woven placemats". When done properly, you can often sustain hot action for quite some time. The terminal tackle is the usual small pink hootchies.

As we get into September, it will be time to start targeting those large Chinook off the mouth of the Capilano River. I usually consider the peak of that run to be from the 15th of September until the 15th of October, but the last couple years, it has started in the first week or so of September. The beauty of those earlier dates is that the crowds are usually significantly less.

If you are interested in booking a charter, I am almost completely booked up through the end of August. I do have 3 or 4 days still available in the last week of the month, and if we do remain open for Sockeye the fishing should be red hot at that time. Even if we close for Sockeye, that is the time to start targeting the first of those large Fraser Chinook.

In addition, I already have several bookings for the late Chinook fishery (it is now our "BEST" fishery of the year). I will get fully booked for this fishery as well, and likely most of the best dates will get tied up in the next week or two. Typically the run peaks around the first of October, and I'll be doing charters strictly by the tides as I did last fall. These fish only hit on the flooding tides, so charters will start at low slack, end at the high slack, and be as long as the tide is. Booking charters this way will insure my parties will be out fishing whenever the best bite occurs.........I really hate to miss the bite because was running back and forth from the marina. This means a 7 or 8 hour charter will be the norm when the tide occurs mid-day, but there will be a number of days where a 5 hour morning or evening charter will occur. If you wish to book something during this fishery it is best you contact me ASAP, as I already have about 1/2 the days in the last week of September, and first week of October tied up. My next newsletter will provide the remaining dates/times I have available. I'll try to get it out in a couple weeks or so..........maybe with the news of an extension to the Sockeye fishery!!!!

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com

Back