ECVI Nanoose, French Creek Report

People have been very quiet. Lots of fishing with good results. All of the usual spots have been good. There has been a lot of boats going out to Sangster but you don't necessarily have to venture that far. I've been doing very well out in front of Nuttal Bay, Mistaken and Ballenas. Fish seem to be feeding on 3-4" herring. Been a pesky NW wind blowing for the past 4-5 days, all day, then seems to calm down in late afternoon/evening.

Was out again 4- 8. Fished the same areas. Caught a 20 right off the bat and played cohos the rest of the day
caught on a spoon at 80 ft

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 792
Fished the Winchelsea's tonight. 2 nice hatch coho. Released 2 wild. 3-4 other undersized to the boat. Caught fish at 130-150 ft on Irish cream spoon and t-rex hootch

Fished off F.Creek yesterday from about 1 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.

Caught numerous Chinooks that were about 2 cm undersize. caught a couple around 1:30 p.m. and then the action really picked up again about 3:30pm.

Nailed a 16lb'er Chinook and also a 4 lb and a 6lb hatchery Coho....

Lost about a 14lb'er

caight a few undersize Coho as well....released.

Non -stop action.....

Flashers:- Green haze, then Gold Super Betsy then Green/Glow

Lures:- first Brads Mini Cutplug in UV Metallic green/chrome with UV dots...6ft leader. worked very good.

Black/Glow hoochy doctored with purple haze and also green glow skirt.......killer
Green Splatterback hoochy doctored with same.......killer
38 inches BOF to nose of hoochy.

Depth:- both downrigger dials were at 160ft...this produced the best hits. However.....I don't know the actual depth that would be in reality. Not sure it really was 160ft. because later we went over 148ft bottom and I had 190ft out on the rigger dial and I never tapped bottom.

007.jpg

Fished off F.Creek yesterday from about 1 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.

Caught numerous Chinooks that were about 2 cm undersize. caught a couple around 1:30 p.m. and then the action really picked up again about 3:30pm.

Nailed a 16lb'er Chinook and also a 4 lb and a 6lb hatchery Coho....

Lost about a 14lb'er

caight a few undersize Coho as well....released.

Non -stop action.....

Flashers:- Green haze, then Gold Super Betsy then Green/Glow

Lures:- first Brads Mini Cutplug in UV Metallic green/chrome with UV dots...6ft leader. worked very good.

Black/Glow hoochy doctored with purple haze and also green glow skirt.......killer
Green Splatterback hoochy doctored with same.......killer
38 inches BOF to nose of hoochy.

Depth:- both downrigger dials were at 160ft...this produced the best hits. However.....I don't know the actual depth that would be in reality. Not sure it really was 160ft. because later we went over 148ft bottom and I had 190ft out on the rigger dial and I never tapped bottom.

View attachment 7970

Great report, great fish!! I have that same knife...lol

These are the inserts I was talking about......

The green ones are a kind of green glow with a metallic effect and the other one is made by Zak tackle ...I think it's called a UV purple haze insert.

I get them at PNT.......trim 'em down so they don't stick out past the end of the hoochy. I pulled them apart out of the hoochies here just to show what I meant....

008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any results prawning out of Nanoose lately? There's been lots of traps right when you come out of Schooner. I'm considering trying it out but a report would be awesome. Thanks

Fished off Gerald this am from 6-10, released about 8 small shakers and had one pin-popper which was not to be. tried all sorts of gear at all sorts of depths but couldnt find anything of size before it got pretty snotty out there. few other boats with some shakers as well, didnt see or hear of anything big today.

I just got back from the FC boat launch and watched a guy clean a 39. Caught right out front in about 190 feet of water, but he declined to say what his bait or lure was. He looked she'll shocked. He had to go through a few unclipped Coho, but the fact there are Coho and the odd big Chin around these parts is great news.

Got out yesterday morning for a couple hours and had a blast, thought I was on the west coast for a while. Took out a buddy's boat solo and had both lines going for a while had to run just one, my arms were tired. I have fished here for a long time and never seen Coho like this before, I bonked two that were about 8 pounds each and we're a lot of fun. I gaff released about 8 small springs (a couple were close) and a bunch of Coho, most just took air and shook the hook. It didn't seem to matter what depth, I fished from 80 to 180 and they were everywhere. Hoping to get out again soon, I was on the outside of Gerald.........BRS

Got out yesterday morning for a couple hours and had a blast, thought I was on the west coast for a while. Took out a buddy's boat solo and had both lines going for a while had to run just one, my arms were tired. I have fished here for a long time and never seen Coho like this before, I bonked two that were about 8 pounds each and we're a lot of fun. I gaff released about 8 small springs (a couple were close) and a bunch of Coho, most just took air and shook the hook. It didn't seem to matter what depth, I fished from 80 to 180 and they were everywhere. Hoping to get out again soon, I was on the outside of Gerald.........BRS

Awesome report BRS. It's been too quiet on here lately! I've been too busy with wedding related activities to get out myself but I hope to this week.

What lures BRS?

Way too many coho! Even letting hatchery go! I havnt caught any keeper springs the last couple times out. Ive been fishing with the other boats in the area in front of the marina. I heard some reports that the door is hot.
Not sure where the door is, it might be towards qualicum.
The only thing catching fish for me has been old betsy flash and green hootchies lately.
I put out some purple uv flash and spoons and no results.
Is anyone using chovies?
been fishing the late afternoons. Beuty nite on the water !!

BRS probably had all green and white spoons out :)

No that's Kelly's go to! I had a 3.5 inch blue and silver coyote on a purple haze flasher on one side and a green flasher with army truck hootch on the other. The spoon had most of the action but the hootch got the biggest coho.......BRS

Was out yesterday off F.C. from 12:30 p.m. to 8:30 pm.

Trolled all over the place from out front to humps to white door etc.etc.

Fished in waters 70ft deep to 230ft deep.

Lure depths from 30ft to 200ft.down

Caught a lot of seriously undersize Chinooks....and some kindergarten Coho....

Wasn't good tides for the time we were fishing.....

More bites around 4pm onward.

Didn't mark any bait on the finder.....or very many fish for that matter...except the sporadic surface Coho here and there.

Tried a ton of different rigs.........

Was out yesterday off F.C. from 12:30 p.m. to 8:30 pm.

Trolled all over the place from out front to humps to white door etc.etc.

Fished in waters 70ft deep to 230ft deep.

Lure depths from 30ft to 200ft.down

Caught a lot of seriously undersize Chinooks....and some kindergarten Coho....

Wasn't good tides for the time we were fishing.....

More bites around 4pm onward.

Didn't mark any bait on the finder.....or very many fish for that matter...except the sporadic surface Coho here and there.

Tried a ton of different rigs.........

Yep... same here yesterday

This evening, it was slow for us. We had to go all over (FC, Eaglecrest, White House, then down to Gerald and Ballenas) to find some bait but no go. We headed to Lasqueti and ended up near Sangster where we found bait. We decided to jig as we had kids on board and was rewarded with a nice 18 pound Ling and low and behold, in came a nice 16 pound Spring. We let em go. Burned a lot of gas, but the kids were happy playing and releasing dozens of dink springs and hoes.

Back