Area 25-Nootka Fishing Report

Sushihunter

I finally have something to report!

Left the dock today about 7:30 AM and headed out to Esperanza Inlet with the intention of fishing Rosa Harbour area. Outside seas were calm enough that we ventured outside to the Highway.

Fishing was pretty slow, until we got a little closer to Ferrer Point. We were running three lines on two downriggers bracketing 100' in 300 - 280' of water. No signs of bait or fish on the sounder. Had a good hit on the upper rod with a Green & Glow 3.5" Coyote spoon - no flasher. Fish spit the hook after about 30 seconds of play. While reeling in, spoon was hit a second time and again spit after a minute or so of fighting the fish.

We decided to see if we could get some Halibut and tried drifting and back-trolling from 150' to a 90' hump just SE of Ferrer Pt. Picked up a nice Yelloweye, and two China Rockfish.

After getting a radio report of fish hitting at Ferrer, we moved in and started trolling two lines at 35' & 40'. After a bit, we hit what was the most amazing fish I have ever seen! It hit the outside rod, a Watermellon Apex lure with no flasher and almost spooled the 200 yards of line off the reel in one long sustained run toward shore that had Jim Hicks convinced that he was hooked on bottom until I pointed out that we were drifting toward the direction the line was running in. I believe that the fish made it into the kelp and the line broke at the swivel. Jim will be re-tieing his leaders before the morning!

Jim's partner Kevin picked up a nice 12 pound Chinook in the same spot about 20 minutes later on an green FBR (Franko Bullet Rotator) with anchovy, again with no flasher.

A while later, we picked up a nice 5 pound Coho on the before mentioned Coyote spoon. No flasher. Am I seeing a trend here?

We fished Rosa for an hour, seeing lots of bait balls and some solid fish returns on the sounder, but no bites. Also, someone has removed the white triangle fisheries boundary sign. To what purpose, DFO, are you about to move the boundary again this year???

Upon getting back to the dock in Tahsis, we learned that Tyler and his dad, Don also hit some very nice hard fighting fish in the same area that we were in at Ferrer.

The chinook we landed was a nice white Spring. Coho was had for a late dinner, soaked in Orange Juice and various spices to which I want the recipe before the guys leave town on Saturday!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

kevin_chinook-jun1108.jpg

Kevin, from San Francisco, CA holds up the one that didn't get away!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

sushi, beginging of jun last year we floated aroung that first little island in (spelling) espinoa inlet across from rosa island and pulled in a 20 and then turned to hit the spot again and had a double of a 22 and 28 . right up agians the island not sure if they hold up aroudn there but there were no salmon besides that for the weekend. if its windy maybe give it a shot, Im sure you know the area better then me but jsut a heads up

also do you know any Negrin's up there ? thats who I stayed with he owns tashis ice ?????

quote:Originally posted by saltybeaver

sushi, beginging of jun last year we floated aroung that first little island in (spelling) espinoa inlet across from rosa island and pulled in a 20 and then turned to hit the spot again and had a double of a 22 and 28 . right up agians the island not sure if they hold up aroudn there but there were no salmon besides that for the weekend. if its windy maybe give it a shot, Im sure you know the area better then me but jsut a heads up

Would that be the Otter Islands - at the entrance to Espinosa Inlet?

OR, Birthday Channel area at the entrance to Port Eliza?

Both can be good holding areas for Salmon at times.

Black Rock and the kelp beds at the entrance to Rolling Roadstead have been very good to me at times, but they can be really hit and miss.

Yes, Tahsis Ice Co. is a great place to get ice - especially if you need to fill a big cooler.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Sushihunter
Do you know how late Tahsis ice is open? I will be coming up there on July 8th with my wife. I would rather buy it there than in Campbell River. I hope to be up there between 6 and 7 pm.
Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Blacksheep

Sushihunter
Do you know how late Tahsis ice is open? I will be coming up there on July 8th with my wife. I would rather buy it there than in Campbell River. I hope to be up there between 6 and 7 pm.
Thanks

Tahsis Ice Company - 250-934-5545
428 Alpine View, Tahsis, BC
Garry Negrin, Proprietor

Give him a call for hours - he lives next door, so he usually isn't too hard to find.

Good luck!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Jim: thanks for the info :) Bummer on the kelp fish, I dropped a nice Spring last year in the bowl just inside ferrer, ran into the Kelp by that island rock...cant get them all.

Be up there off & on fairly soon, plan to hit the gravel north of Outer Black for Flatties..and then the hiway for Springs. I have had good results with Chovies fished 8' behind the flasher.

Maybe buy U a cold one. I keep my ride at Westview.

Heck, Jim..I just looked at your website, I can just reach over the dock and hand U that beer - I have the moorage spot just opposite you, by King Cobra. :))) small world.

the other Jim

quote:Originally posted by tomictime

Jim: thanks for the info :) Bummer on the kelp fish, I dropped a nice Spring last year in the bowl just inside ferrer, ran into the Kelp by that island rock...cant get them all.

Be up there off & on fairly soon, plan to hit the gravel north of Outer Black for Flatties..and then the hiway for Springs. I have had good results with Chovies fished 8' behind the flasher.

Maybe buy U a cold one. I keep my ride at Westview.

Heck, Jim..I just looked at your website, I can just reach over the dock and hand U that beer - I have the moorage spot just opposite you, by King Cobra. :))) small world.

the other Jim

Sounds good - what's your boat name? What kind of boat? Maybe I've seen it down there.

I'm going to run down to Maquinna Point in the early AM - A guy and his young son were down there today and hooked a monster Halibut that they lost at the boat because it was too heavy for them to lift over the side of the boat on a gaff that did not go all the way through the fish! [xx(]

With luck, I might be posting some photos late tommorrow. [8D]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Jim: Something Catchy, hard to miss, the logo is on the side..I stay w Bern and Bill at Barnacle Beach - incredible people :)

Good luck at Mcquinna.. :))))

quote:Originally posted by tomictime

Jim: Something Catchy, hard to miss, the logo is on the side..I stay w Bern and Bill at Barnacle Beach - incredible people :)

Good luck at Mcquinna.. :))))

Yes, I think I have seen your boat - I remember the name.

I will post another topic for today's fishing report.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Back